Toto toilets or American Standard
pmags
I have recently been told that the best toilet on the market is the Toto toilet. Now I've been told that actually the new American Standard toilets are actually much more effective and of higher quality. I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on this matter.
Thank you so much.
cindyliuy
I didn't do any research on toilets, but for some reason I thought Toto was better.
   Thanked by pmags    November 2, 2013 at 8:37PM
pmags
I thought so too but now two unrelated contractors have said otherwise.
   November 2, 2013 at 8:40PM
Fred S
If they both flush, and use the same amount of water, then what would make one better than the other?
1 Like   Thanked by pmags    November 2, 2013 at 9:27PM
cindyliuy
I think I know why.
Contractor often recommend the item that have a higher profit margin for them.
Example: when we were painting our house we thought sherwin Williams is a better paint, but when we talk to 3 different contractor they all say dunn Edwards (later I realized that DE paint is cheaper than SW paint and DE gives contractor a better discount than SW, therefor making their bid price more competitive.
1 Like   Thanked by pmags    November 2, 2013 at 10:03PM
Fred S
While that may apply to the paint situation, it would not for a toilet upgrade. The upgrade or switching to a different brand rarely hurts their bottom line. It usually improves it in change order fees. They generally go by what their plumber recommends based on what they generally use. What the plumber generally uses and recommends is the fixtures that have the least callbacks because they don't like losing money either.
2 Likes   Thanked by pmags    November 2, 2013 at 10:14PM
Kenyon McIntyre Inc.
I will agree with fred on this one.
   Thanked by pmags    November 2, 2013 at 10:19PM
cindyliuy
@fred s, thanks, it totally make sense the way you explains it. Love Houzz learn something new every time I'm here :)
1 Like   Thanked by pmags    November 2, 2013 at 10:56PM
Fred S
A general warranty is 1 year. A painter will be long gone before the paint fades. You will know if a toilet works well the first week you use it :)
   Thanked by pmags    November 2, 2013 at 11:05PM
sbrustein
I have 2 Toto toilets and won't get anything else. We replaced a cute British toilet that was just awful in terms of function, one year ago with a Toto. I haven't had to use a plunger since. It used to live next to the old toilet.
   Thanked by pmags    November 2, 2013 at 11:11PM
pmags
The Toto brand is much more expensive than the American Standard one so it would make sense then that there is more money to be made by the seller on the Toto toilet. A contractor has no vested interest in either as they do not get any of that profit and if they ever want to be used or recommended again by their customers, are likely to recommend the brand that gives the buyer the least trouble. This is what made me start to re-think the Toto brand.
   November 3, 2013 at 2:18AM
dclostboy
I still love the manual dual flush and the "automatic" functions on my Toto toilets. Master ensuite opens when you approach it and flushes when you leave :)
   November 3, 2013 at 5:08AM
chookchook2
I will not joke in this discussion as I don't do toilet humour. Ask each firm for phone numbers of satisfied clients also read the fine print on each warranty.
   November 3, 2013 at 5:19AM
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
No problem with American Standard, but prefer Toto, particularly the dual cyclone flush action that swishes around the bowl and effectively cleans with each flush.
   Thanked by pmags    November 6, 2013 at 9:21PM
pmags
Thanks for this comment but don't all companies try to copy each other with new technology? The Toto has the dual cyclone flushing mechanism but don't the others have some sort of glazing so as to prevent the stuff from sticking? What about replacement parts? Are they just as easy to get for the Toto's as for the American Standards?
   November 7, 2013 at 3:17AM
pmags, your last point is one to check wherever you may be located. I find AS replacement parts are not stocked locally and must be ordered (unless the most basic, commonly ordered line). Any good toilet should have a suitable finish--but that dual cyclone flush is quite something and I have not seen it duplicated (yet). The water is shot horizontally from two shoots and swirls the entire bowl. I'm a fan. Not every Toto has that flushing mechanism and I migh prefer another toilet in circumstances where that was not the primary goal. A Cyprus project called for a granite-like egg shaped bowl--Villeroy & Boch--beautiful. That kind of decision is about budget ;-)
   Thanked by pmags    November 7, 2013 at 7:41AM
orangecamera
Here is what I found out when researching toilets. Years ago TOTO had a patent on part of their design which had to do with the width of the drain pipe. Of course, this would result in fewer clogs. Now that patent has expired, and other manufacturers have wider drain pipes.

I have a TOTO that I love - actually took it with me when I moved (it has all the fancy schmancy bells and whistles). It's actually the TOTO *seat* that has all the cool features, and the seat can go on any brand base (as long as you match round/elongated to each other). If I had realized at the time that it was only the seat that made it special, I would have just taken the seat when I moved. Anyway, no problems from the TOTO at all.

My other toilet is a Glacier Bay from Home Depot. I haven't had any problems with it either. It was the least expensive white ADA-height toilet available, I believe less than $100.
   Thanked by pmags    November 7, 2013 at 7:52AM
Toilets-important topic! A key feature of any toilet I install is the shape of the base. A smooth casing for easy cleaning is preferred. Orangecamera, I think the seat you are referring to is the Toto "washlet". There are several shapes and these do come in sizes that fit non-Toto toilets - the key is to find the right fit. If you have a ToTo that has all the bess and whistle's built-in (not just in a washlet) then I would take it with me, too! You can take a vacation in Europe for the price! The washlet is a much cheaper way to get the same functionality. Happy flushing!
   Thanked by pmags    November 7, 2013 at 8:02AM
Fred S
@ orangecamera, do you have a bumpersticker on the glacier bay that says your other toilet is a Toto?
The best point here, so far, is the availability of parts. Where I live, you may as well buy a whole new toilet rather than pay a plumber to make the several trips to order parts and then install them for a Toto.
1 Like   Thanked by pmags    November 7, 2013 at 10:39AM
orangecamera
LOL Fred :)
   November 7, 2013 at 11:20AM
Mega Builders
in the same price bracket, both are great.
   Thanked by pmags    November 7, 2013 at 11:53AM
My House Plumbing and Hardware
I own a showroom and we sell every brand of toilet out there, but 85% of the toilets we sell are Toto. I personally have 4 Toto's in my home and the "Double Cyclone" flush is in my opinion the best flush on the market.
   Thanked by pmags    November 7, 2013 at 12:19PM
bungalowmo
I don't know about warranties for new toilets, but I have the original "Standard" toilet in my place...1916. I'd say it's a well made product!.
   November 8, 2013 at 9:00AM
Help with Curb Appeal!
The siding is not changing (seen on 2nd level). What...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
Need help finishing up!
So I have a lot of my main pieces pick and in place...
Exterior paint colors? Remove or paint brick?
We will be selling soon and want to paint our house...