Kitchen and entertaining -need recommendations
mellmax
November 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We like to entertain but it seems like the party always gathers in our kitchen. We don't have an "open" floor plan. There is a an entry way from our kitchen to both the dining room and living room-and a way from dining room into the living room so the traffic flows nicely through the house but everyone ends up just cramming into the kitchen... Always! We want to remodel our kitchen but I'm wondering what are the best designs for the kitchen parties-- or tips to get people to migrate to other areas of the house--maybe my living room needs a better design. Haha.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Harding Construction & Sustainable Solutions
this is a really common problem. Open the dining room to the kitchen during your remodel. A bar area seating area may be helpful.
November 2, 2013 at 9:28PM     
suzanne_m
Have your food and beverage already set up on a buffet in the dining room. People will tend to stay where the food and drinks are.
November 2, 2013 at 10:28PM     
PRO
Dytecture
Photos and floor plan would be helpful.
November 3, 2013 at 5:11AM   
mellmax
Here's a picture of the kitchen from when we first moved in and were taking down the wallpaper. The first is from the entrance of the dining room and other is from the entry into kitchen from the garage showing the entry to dining room. There are 3 entry ways into kitchen. We really wanted a separate dining room when house hunting (not sure why now) I've thought about opening it up but can't decide.
November 3, 2013 at 7:20AM   
mellmax
Suzanne-thanks, I wondered if that would help, now that I think of it, when I had a fondue party people were more spread out because of food being in the dining room. We never know if we will have 5 or 35 show up with my family. I'm going to try it in a few weeks at a little pre-thanksgiving party were having.
November 3, 2013 at 7:28AM     
mellmax
P.s. any budget savy thoughts about this kitchen would be welcome. We want to get rid of carpet and linoleum but want to make sure we aren't making other changes that would affect the flooring.
November 3, 2013 at 7:34AM   
raineycarole
People congregate where the food and beverages are. Also where there is a lot if light, so keep the "out of bounds" areas darker than the party areas.
November 3, 2013 at 8:54AM     
chookchook2
I always give early people and kitchen hangers out jobs to do, like chopping veggies.
November 3, 2013 at 9:10AM