Need help with Family room

realkewlNovember 3, 2013
Sectional is put back together to create a somewhat floating family room, but now what do I do with all the space. Thinking about getting sofa table from WM (http://www.worldmarket.com/product/everett+foyer+table.do?&from=fn) and put under the window. Suggestions? Window is about 70 inch wide. First picture is before houzz, then put back together. Last picture is the table from WM
carolins
Can you post more pictures of your room? We can only see one end now. Would be good to see the entire room

I would pull the sectional away from the wall and lower the picture significantly.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 7:44AM
carolins
To post more pics, you can use the attach images button that magically appears when you do a comment under here :-)
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 7:45AM
realkewl
Other side...will pull away soon, speaker wires behind it.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 7:47AM
realkewl
Here's the sectional pulled away from the back wall 30in and in a four or extra long configuration. If I was to get the sofa table should I get two lamps and put at the ends of the sofa table behind the sectional?
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 11:25AM
carolins
Okay, so if you like the idea of a sofa table behind the sectional, it would go under the large painting? In which case you could push it back agains the sofa table. Yep, you could put two lamps on there, or one lamp and some decorative items. Whatever you like.

Or you could leave the sectional away from the wall, so that you can walk behind it, really let it float in the room, In which case I would just get a large coffee table.

But I'm thinking you could do with some floor or table lamps in your room to make it cozier at night, so the sofa table is probably the best option for you.

Attached pic has both sofa table and large coffee table:
Modular Sofa 00638 · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by realkewl    November 3, 2013 at 11:36AM
carolins
Sorry, I'm a bit tired and thinking while I'm typing, which is why I'm sounding a bit confused
;-(
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 11:38AM
happyasaclam
If you arranged your sectional the same way as the ome in the pic that carolins posted, I think carolins is right. You could use the sofa table and a coffee table too.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 1:15PM
happyasaclam
Your other tables are black, so would you re-do the finish on the sofa table? I think it has more of a country look than the rest of your furniture
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 1:19PM
realkewl
Here's the latest pic...almost done. I think a coffee table would be nice, but might take some time to find one. The sofa table actually turned out really nice. My only issue is now the wall beside the window. Should I put a large painting their or a large plant? BTW the smaller table is no longer in the family room.
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 6:21AM
carolins
I like the sofa table and the items you've placed on it. Would push the sofa back against the table and lower the painting. Maybe even lean the painting on the table? I'm more for art than for plants so my vote goes to art on the wall next to the window. Besides, a plant may be in the way?
    Bookmark   Thanked by realkewl    November 5, 2013 at 6:29AM
happyasaclam
A plant would be nice. It would get plenty of light by the wimdow. You have other wall space to add art or family photos. I think you need something larger hanging above the mantle. Then add some things of varying shapes and heights on the mantle.
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 6:29AM
carolins
See... so many people, so many different opinions. I really like what you have on your mantle :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by realkewl    November 5, 2013 at 6:39AM
carolins
Actually, I would have preferred it if your sofa table was as wide as the wall. It would maybe take two sofa tables to get that width, or one that's made to size.
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 6:41AM
realkewl
I'm also leaning more for art work. What type would you suggest? The only reason I was leaving the sofa out was that the sofa table has draws...should I just not use them. Leaning the art work on the table, that's a cool idea.
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 6:43AM
carolins
No, I think you need to forget about the drawers. I find it difficult to suggest artwork to people. Because I think it should be something that makes your heart do a little jump when you see it.
But I also like to do some 'virtual shopping', so...:
Metal Ampersand & · More Info

Bulldog Reclaimed Wood Art Print Wall Art · More Info

Thorndike Street by Stacey Durand · More Info

Chase Street and Main by Stacey Durand · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by realkewl    November 5, 2013 at 7:10AM
carolins
Zero Gravity, Hand-Embellished Giclee, 60"x48" · More Info

Wall Prints - Gree Island - 30"x40" · More Info

Late 20th C. Abstracted Oil Coastal Scene by Anna Poole · More Info

Man with Black Dog Reclaimed Wood Wall Art- Small · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by realkewl    November 5, 2013 at 7:12AM
happyasaclam
I was thinking that the piece on the mantle was too small and out of proportion to the size of the fireplace and the rest of the room. You're so right, carolins! So many people, so many opinions. But that is what makes Houzz so cool!!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 7:15AM
happyasaclam
And I love drawers, LOL! More places to stash stuff.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 7:16AM
davepilot
wood floors with a rug will go well, and the TV over the fire place giving it the focus point and moving the furniture , buying a cover to go over it and a table in middle ........
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 7:20AM
Vicki Simon Interior Design
I have a different take on arranging this room. I always say, "pay attention to the architecture first". In your case, ideally, a floating sectional In this large room is great, but if you can line it up so that some section is centered on the window, lines up with the edge of the window, or otherwise is "cheated a bit" toward one of these options, the whole room looks and feels better.

Then, if a sofa back table fits on the back of the sofa with room to walk behind it, it can work. The way you show this table now looks like a furniture store - it should not touch both wall and sofa (or even close). This way, the only thing it serves is as a surface to put things on top.

Ideally, a smaller sectional, if you are willing to swap it out, or pulling this sectional apart perhaps, may fit the room better. I would need to take pencil to paper with dimensions to work it out for you, but this is what I'm thinking.

I think these points are paramount to getting right first before discussing artwork, and perhaps paint color.
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 7:38AM
Meghan
Put the tv on the fireplace so you have one focal point not two beside each other. Love the sectional too :) just get a rug and some colorful pillows and your room will look even better!
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 7:44AM
happyasaclam
I think Vicki is headed in the right direction. The fireplace and the tv will still be the major focal points and traffic flow is now being addressed!
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 7:47AM
realkewl
Thanks...but a 60 inch TV above the fireplace is not functional. One because you're looking up. I think a TV is better at eye level. It might look cool, and out of a magazine but to me not functional. Then what do you do with all your components that go with the TV, then you need to worry about the heat from the fireplace. I'm liking the colorful rug idea...meghanalissa you're thinking of a rug where say a coffee table would go?

Vicki, guess I'm not following your suggestion on lining up the sectional. Are you suggesting the left side be centered with the window. Also, are you saying the sofa table should be on the window side and not against the back wall?
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 8:06AM
Vicki Simon Interior Design
realkewl, I would need dimensions and to draw it all up to fully explore how the sofa could line up better with the window. This was just an idea for you to think about. And, if it fit, I might put the table on the window wall. It would depend on how the layout fit - space to sofa, width of table compared to width of windows, height of table compared to sill height (if it is higher, then nix the idea :) If the sofa back table fit behind the sofa and floating in the room, with room to walk behind it, then yes, by all means put it behind the sofa. Does that make sense?
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 10:50AM
realkewl
Yes Vicki that makes better since. I had original bought the table to go against the window it would fit just about perfect. table is 70 x 30 (roughly) and the window is something like 72 x 28. With the sofa 30in from the back wall you're setting about 9ft from the TV. The reason why I put the table there was to hide the stereo components that drive the rear satellite speakers. If you take a look at the third post i did you'll see the component on the floor behind the speaker. Maybe I should try to find something that would conceal that and you would not trip over when you walk behind it. Thanks so much
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 11:26AM
realkewl
Project complete.Thanks everyone. Latest pic attached. I tried putting the picture down but didn't like it. I'll post before and after in that section. I'm loving it, actually turned on the fireplace late last night and listened to some good music and enjoyed a glass of wine marveling at this creation :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 6:37AM
carolins
Nice :-D
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 6:43AM
Need help with family room
What rug would go with sundried tomato red accent wall...
fire1801
Need help with family room
I've just bought a home and the family room is giving...
beachhome
Need help with Family Room furniture ideas/placement
If all things go as planned, we'll have closed on our...
Cammi Francis Quinton
Need help for family room
I have 3 kids with lots of toys and a large sectional...
lienbui
need help with family room
I have a maroon leather couch. I needs to update the...
judyf138
Exterior paint color, soffits same color as trim/facia or siding
We are painting our 1920s house and the painter suggested...
sawyer4444
Need help with our sauna & hamam complex
Building a few sets of saunas and hamams within the...
tdonskaya
Need help with shape of tub and sink
I am remodeling my bathroom. It is traditional with...
ecarol54
Colour carried throughout house
Should the same colour be carried in bits throughout...
lcatteau
Organic furniture
Natural wood interlocking system
RuraLiving Studio