Which rug to get.
azanhem
I put up these pictures on my dining room wall.I can't decide what color and paytern of rug should i get.I can change ghe fabric on the chairs later if it needs to be matched to the color of the rug.
azanhem
I don't like the rug i currently have in the dining room.
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 7:55AM
simonmaiden
Really like the new pictures. Great pop of color. I would use a grey and off white rug that mimics the pattern on your mirrored sideboard. I suggest switching the sideboard with the console table. Hang a silver framed mirror above and add some vases using the same color turquoise as the pictures. Use ones that large and tall enough to reflect in the mirror. The lamps may then look better on the console as you already have the sconces on the wall at the other side of the room. If you move up one of the silver discs, it will add height to the room and balance with the height of the mirror. Just a few suggestions to "try on for size". Most importantly it needs to reflect your taste and personality.
2 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 8:09AM
CDR Design
Good job so far.

Move lamps to buffet.
Move circles to console table
Need rug with the teal color. No flowers in rug
Larger centerpiece.

Biggest impact you are missing: paint tray either teal or deep bronze in your lamp
3 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    November 3, 2013 at 8:19AM
chookchook2
Don't put any more art in that room.
1 Like   Thanked by azanhem    November 3, 2013 at 8:22AM
Chad
Your dining room is looking awesome!

Is that carpet in that room?? I believe the rug would look better if it weren't over carpet.

Have you ever considered painting? The squares on the walls and the insert on the ceiling.

Also for a rug suggestion: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/scroll-tile-rug-porcelain-blue/?pkey=ccontemporary-rugs&cm_src=contemporary-rugs||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
0 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    November 3, 2013 at 8:28AM
Mark
I would like to see what the table and chairs look like without the area rug you have now and just on the carpet. Maybe all you need is to recover your chair seats in a fabric that has some teal in it.
4 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    November 3, 2013 at 8:40AM
CDR Design
Oh my. I just noticed. Please……no rugs on carpets. Save yourself some $.
0 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    November 3, 2013 at 8:51AM
azanhem
Really no rugs on carpets...i thought it was necessary for bringing it all together.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 10:37AM
azanhem
That is a great idea to have the chair fabric on teal...
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 10:37AM
Just the wall to wall you have.
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 10:41AM
Nicole White Designs Inc
Great start. I'm okay with a rug on carpet to define an area but in this case I say there's no need for one. Purchase some fabric with teal and reupholster the chair seats - which should be an easy DIY project. Much more bang for your money. I love the buffet but it needs some large candle holders or accessories to bring it to life. Wait. I just saw that the fabric on your chairs are already a fun print so no need to do more. Spruce up buffet, add a runner and centerpiece to the table, lose the rug, place a mirror over console and you ran all set.
0 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    November 3, 2013 at 10:56AM
CDR Design
I have seen designers place rugs over carpets. Your choice. My personal no-no. I always think about what stain one is hiding underneath ( even though that is not the case).

I am a big "form follows function" person, so have a hard time with it.
1 Like   Thanked by azanhem    November 3, 2013 at 11:25AM
cindyliuy
Love the pictures. Teal is my favorite color!

I think a nice center piece and some teal color fabric on the seat cushions. Your dining room will look fabulous (area rug optional).

I'm trying to do my dining room, can you tell me what size is your dining table and chairs? I think I need chairs just like that.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 7:35PM
Dressed Nest Interiors
If you're feeling bold...
6 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    November 4, 2013 at 2:25PM
CDR Design
Dressed nest those are both great choices!
0 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    November 4, 2013 at 3:21PM
tennisanyone
Ii would stack those two pictures over the console so that wall has some height and not everything is horizzontal and put the lamps on the buffet.
1 Like   November 4, 2013 at 3:37PM
Meghan
I would switch the table and buffet locations.
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 3:58PM
azanhem
Dressed Nest Interior..could you share where that first rug can be purchased.It seems like a great choice.
1 Like   November 4, 2013 at 4:14PM
azanhem
I did switch the lamps to sideboards...tried putting the teal pictures vertically...not enough room for two of them that way.This is a rug choice i put in here....how does it look.Rug seems to be necessary because this table seems too small for the space.It is 54 inch round table that converts to oval with lenght of only 72 inches. I thought bigger rug would fill up the emptiness around the table.Any thoughts.I removed thd old rug maybe the small scale of the table can be seen in the photo now.The small table was a huge dissappointment for me because it was non returnable.
1 Like   November 4, 2013 at 4:14PM
CDR Design
I love the rug, but you do not need it. The table is not too small.

Please consider painting the ceiling inset.
3 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 4:30PM
cocoissy
Yes... agree re moving table and buffet
and the table needs a bigger centre piece
but its looking great
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 3:26AM
CDR Design
Good progress! Please switch buffet and table. You might want to move those sconces in so that they are connected to the piece under them.
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 3:34AM
Mark
I see beautiful wood floors just outside your dining room. I can only imagine how beautiful it would look to continue that hardwood into your dining room. Then you could add an area rug and bring in some teal that way. The carpeting is not doing anything for your furniture and accessories. I realize putting in hard wood is an expense that you probably don't want to do right now but I really do think that in the long run you will be so pleased with the look.
2 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    November 5, 2013 at 5:16AM
CDR Design
I like your circles stacked. At this point, I am recommending the following

-put some space between each of the circles
-move the sconces inward to the other sides of the molding
-switch table and buffet
-paint tray inset a pewter tone
-large elongated bowl for table (or just buy one more of the one you have)

Ralph Lauren makes metallic paints that you could consider (not for amateurs to apply)

[houzz=Park Hill Renovation 1][houzz=Oakley Home Builders][houzz=Park Hill Renovation 2]
2 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 5:29AM
Artajul Rugs
I like CDR's recommendations above if your floors were dark - I would look for a rug that sort of blends with your light floors. Maybe a beige, white, ivory with gold even !
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 5:40AM
Virtus Design
Love the pictures and also agree with @artajul suggestion!
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 5:48AM
bumpy1
You really do need to switch the buffet and console table...the buffet is beautiful and should be your focal point, not the console, which am not sure you need in there at all. If you intend to paint the walls a darker shade (appears you have a sample on the wall) paint your lamps a soft white or a really pale shade of the aqua. Right now it's too much brown on brown. Actually, I would paint the lamps regardless if you paint the walls, because your trim is already painted white. Behr has a soft white called Natural Linen that is a lovely shade of white...no yellow undertones...would look pretty with the lamp shades. What about a chevron patterned rug in aqua and off-white....believe Ballard's has one.
0 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    November 5, 2013 at 6:03AM
leelee
Love your mix of traditional and modern. You might think about some buffet lamps and try the buffet on the wall under the pictures. Rugs?
2 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 6:07AM
bumpy1
Nix the chevron pattern...maybe too informal. Love cdrdesign ideas and the rug shown in their post...rug is probably too dark for your floors, however.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 6:15AM
CDR Design
Here is a painted try with a rug color comparable to yours. The dark table balances the darker ceiling, without need for a darker floor.

]
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 6:25AM
CDR Design
I agree you could lose the table altogether.

You were afraid your table was too small. If anything, the room is a little crowded.
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 6:26AM
chookchook2
Yes agree busy and crowded with art.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 6:38AM
bumpy1
Love leelee's buffet lamps, especially one on right.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 6:52AM
bumpy1
Appears the console is just in the room because you have it and might not have another use for it...is it too tall to use as a sofa table...perhaps you could sell it to offset the cost of paint, new lamps or the new rug. Love the idea of painting the
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 7:00AM
Meghan
Switching the table and buffet locations I think will help with the flow of the room. Where the table is not, it looks too small for the space.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 7:10AM
azanhem
I tried putting the buffet where the console is now.It kind of dissappeared behind the wooden chair...here is a photo of that.
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 8:09AM
azanhem
I had also placed the table horizontally in the room.There is no console in the photo... also i had switched the lamp shades for brown ones but they were smaller for the chandelier.Any thoughts.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 8:11AM
CDR Design
Comments:

Like darker shades
Move table back in old direction
Move armed chairs to sit beside buffet
Place 2 chairs on each side of the table/no chairs on ends

Then clear visual to buffet

Buffet looks great there, but nothing working together.

Suggestions:

Remove circles and replace with either the art or a mirror
Choose either lamps or sconces/not both.

Keep going. This is really coming together!. Good work!
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 8:27AM
CDR Design
Circles could go back on angled wall, as that wall is probably looking pretty lonely now.
Mirror could also go on wall where art currently is, since I am assuming there are window across from that wall?
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 8:29AM
With this photo, your room has lost the spicy teal accent, but I like it too. I have never cared for the brown lamps - they seem to be a bit small and bedroomy to me. The silver circles are another "oddity" IMO. I don't think you've tried stacking the two teal art pieces vertically above the mirrored buffet Try that with no lamps. You could also try the art flanking the window. What is going on with the console table? I think you could use a tall piece in this room. Any thought on a tall display or china on the wall at this end and eliminating the console?
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 8:40AM
azanhem
Moved the buffet to under the teal art...i feel it is the chairs wood work that is so busy it makes whatever is behind it disappear.
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 9:36AM
tennisanyone
I agree with deco. The room now needs a tall piece
Remove the console
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 10:18AM
Get a color washed rug in turquoise. Chairs cover in the lighter color in pictures. Make rug big 8x11 or bigger.
0 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    November 5, 2013 at 10:27AM
Put a 24" sunburst mirror over table hang low.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 10:28AM
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 10:36AM
CDR Design
If you arrange chair as in your top right photo, but place buffet on wall with sconces (not console table) and place arm chairs on wall, then buffet can shine
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 1:33PM
azanhem
I have tried to rearrange the sideboard and the console. now i am wondering how do i finish the room. Any suggestions on the paint color and rug. Also i am going to reupholster the chair in solid teal. I also need suggestions as to how to paint around wainscoting area. Should i leave the whole of the lower area white and paint only above the wainscoting or should i paint the inside of the molding a different color.
0 Likes   March 11, 2014 at 10:30PM
azanhem
More photos
1 Like   March 11, 2014 at 10:40PM
chookchook2
That looks more balanced.
0 Likes   March 11, 2014 at 10:44PM
CDR Design
Hi azanhem. You have such a nice room, but really don't need the buffet and the table. It looks to me like there is not enough room on the sides (you need 48" free space on sides of dining room table). Also, window areas should be left open whenever possible.

I recommend:

1) Remove the console table
2) Move buffet to far wall where circles are
3) Paint walls and trim all one color, but paint the trim a semi-gloss
4) Paint ceiling tray Baltic Sea and wall Galveston Gray
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/24784879/thumbs/Azanham-Dining-[houzz=
0 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    March 12, 2014 at 4:00AM
Pangaea Carpets
A piece like this will echo the artwork while not screaming for attention. The all-over pattern is also great for underneath large furniture.
0 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    April 3, 2014 at 1:51PM
If you still plan on adding a rug, I think the wall furnture will have to go. The rug needs to be 4' wider and longer than the table but not run into the walls or the furniture on the walls. As someone said earlier, the furniture is crowding the chair scoot and sit space.
0 Likes   Thanked by azanhem    April 3, 2014 at 3:37PM
Artajul Rugs
Definitely a round rug - & maybe with blue accents.....we can custom make you something !
0 Likes   April 4, 2014 at 7:24AM
which rug gets your vote?
I'm thinking of returning this rug for the brown and...
Which rug should I get for this room?
Which rug should I get for this room?
Which color for sectional with this rug?
Which one looks better for sofa color?
Which rug? Sand or blue?
I'm adding a rug to complete my living room. Which...
Need help with paint colors
We want to change the colors in our house but can't...
What to do in foyer?
This is the foyer in our front entrance. We typically...
Trying to create an artificial bamboo pole room divider
I'm thinking to use an industrial glue gun to glue...
Please help! How can I add to this room to make it seem more feminine
I started out with these chairs that are black framing...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...