New-Old House Family Room
debsurreal
We just bought our retirement home - a bit early as we still have one house that we currently live in and trying to sell another home. As you offer your kind and creative ideas, please remember that we are paying two mortgages at the moment. (>$)

I want to lighten up the room and I hate the dreary stone, although keeping the gas log fireplace is the goal. The room will have moss green and beige furnishings. The highest point of the ceiling is 16ft.

Aside from these built-ins on the front wall there is an entire corner of them in the back corner (7 ft.) The floor is new and was installed around all the built-ins. I'd like to paint the cabinets but we are accountants and not DIY'ers - or at least not, until now!

I'd love your ideas, suggestions and thoughts.

Thank you.
apple_pie_order
I suggest you contact the sellers to find out who put in the new flooring. Buy extra flooring now before it becomes unavailable. Even though it will be a different lot, you'll have flexibility in using it where the built-ins are now.

You can white wash the fireplace stone or have a painter do it. White wash can be temporary. Do a search on Houzz discussions.

I strongly recommend you get any painting done first in the new house, then move. Many professional painters charge a little less for empty homes because they don't have to cover furniture, remove pictures, and deal with homeowners underfoot.
2 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 8:37AM
chookchook2
Big artwork on that stone chimney, not a tv
2 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 8:51AM
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I think you could paint those cabinets a light color. That would help.
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 8:53AM
debsurreal
Thank you. The house was a flip and the seller was never even in the house - ever! Everything was handled by his IRA Trustee. She was a communication/cooperation minimalist and doubt that we would receive a return call. We are pretty much stuck with the floor.

I like the white wash fireplace idea. Would you paint the wood?
It's solid oak.

Oh, yeah! No television above the fireplace. If we put one in this room it will have to be on the right wall of this room. I have a great piece of art that will look great here - after we lighten up that wall.

Thank you!
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 9:00AM
jilliaarna
paint the book cases an light cream colour and venetian plaster the fireplace.
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 9:04AM
apple_pie_order
It's worth a phone call to the IRA trustee. She can probably tell you who the contractor was if not the brand for the wood. In a flip, she may not have even made the choices. Have you looked in the garage for extra pieces? If there is a place like Lumber Liquidators within easy driving distance, it's a good bet that's where the flooring came from. They can identify the flooring from a piece , maybe from a few good photos with a ruler to show scale.

Your ideabook photos show mostly painted wood trim and bookcases. It's your house, might as well paint to get what you like. These are not historic pieces that should be preserved above all.
2 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 10:21AM
debsurreal
Yes, I have been looking at painted bookcases because that was the one possibility that I knew.

I do like the idea of the venetian plaster. Those photos are lovely. Our daughter who is a DIY extraordinaire will be here for a week at T'giving. I'll send her these suggestions.

I still welcome others.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 10:46AM
uniquevirtue
Paint the wood colors white and the beams to lighten up the room
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 10:56AM
I would remove the built-ins in the corner. If not possible, at least remove the doors, or have new ones made. I would paint all the wood and paint the little bit of wall showing on the fireplace wall the same color. Reconfigure the fireplace shelves; maybe just remove a few. And I would remove the mantel or replace it with a chunky timber.
2 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 12:02PM
debsurreal
So I should paint the beams the same color as the bookcases?

I wish I could remove the corner built-ins. I actually have a wet bar that would be nice in that corner but I can't get around the flooring issue UNLESS I tile the floor behind the wet bar..... I was thinking of replacing the corner built in door panels with glass.

Thank you!
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 12:35PM
janeinfo
Paint it all cream with white trim before you whitewash your fireplace. Your floor is light so just changing the woodwork might do the trick....especially if you have a huge piece of artwork to cover most of the rock!
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 12:51PM
halfpint2
@debsurreal,
Are you sure those bookcases are built-ins? It looks like they are free standing, but it's difficult to tell. Painting them should be very easy. A light color would really brighten up the room. I would paint the beams the same color. Before doing anything to the fireplace, you might want to clean it well, and remove the wooden shelf. I think it's beautiful, and will look much different once the bookshelves are painted, and the walls.
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 1:12PM
debsurreal
Oh yeah, they are built ins. We tried to separate it from the wall once before. This weekend we scrubbed with lysol and and while we were working on this piece we could see the back of the unit is one piece but nailed to wall.

These ideas have given me a lot to think about.

Thanks.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 2:56PM
bungalowmo
"We just bought our retirement home .... I hate the dreary stone"
That is one BIG stone fireplace & you already hate it before you even moved in? Ouch
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 3:03PM
chookchook2
It's called buyer remorse and you'll get over it
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 5:03PM
lauraandjeff
You could use epoxy stain to make the grout joints in the stone a lighter color and your idea of taking out the case and putting in a tile floor for wet bar is super! Stain stone joints the same as tlie grout color maybe?
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 5:15PM
debsurreal
No! We love the house! It has everything on our 'must have' list. It's nestled in the mountains and the colors were spectacular this weekend. This is the only problem and I knew that there was a viable solution. This site is proving me right.

This are a few photos from the drive up and one from our deck. believe me, it will take more than one ugly stone wall to give us anything close to buyer's remorse.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 6:17PM
Vincent Longo Custom Builders
I would entertain painting the beams and bookcases in an a Sherwin Williams 0055 Light French gray to compliment the stone and the colors of the furniture and accessories you are installing. You could also use a Revere Pewter or something with a touch more beige in it. I would try this as a first step before you go at the stone...
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 6:20PM
The room all in white, and with chocolate walls and a chunky mantel:
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 6:46PM
Looking at it again, maybe just the bookcases in white...
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 6:53PM
DMH DESIGN
Honestly, I would live in this a year before you spend a nickel on anything. Get the other house sold, chill out and weigh your options. You will then have the resources to approach any revisions properly. If painting were the only issue, I agree that doing something before you move would be great, but I feel that if you mull over your decision for awhile, you will realize that the cabinet in the corner will likely need to go, as I feel the stone on the fireplace should, too. I like the wood beams, I like the height of the room, but I feel that the amount of stone how the stone is dealt with affects everything else in the vicinity, which, if removed, it may make your need to "blend" it with the other elements unecessary. A nice slab granite hearth and lighter stack stone to a height of about 60" with a continuous, corbeled mantel that aligns visually with a shelf on the bookcases would make this end of the room have a cohesive theme. With a large, possibly arched mirror over and a couple of nice sconces flanking it, I feel, would really tie this all together. I can't really see the ceiling, but I would cut in a nice grid of can lights, at least 3 per each side of the ridge, on a dimmer. Fan(s) mounted on the ridge beam? When your other place is sold, and you have had some time to reflect on how this could be approached, whether like I suggest, or with paint alone and a different mantel, at least you will be approaching these changes in a methodical, rather than in a reactionary manner, because time allows you the benefit of gathering complete info before you begin any changes. It is a nice space, so please post nice photos of whatever you choose to do with the space. Here are some images, not perfect stylistic matches, but that will hopefully provide inspiration. Happy Houzzing.
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 7:34PM
New/Old House
Just bought a house that is 130 years old. Most of...
Christina Hamby
Our new/old sunroom
I'm having trouble decorating & deciding on paint color...
tdep8182
New/Old Countertop
Yesterday I painted my gross, floor tile, yucky brown...
Help Design Our New-Old Porch!
Our porch is in pretty bad shape. Aside from being...
Carol Mahida
Bath floor choices
I'm thinking of using one of these tiles for a small...
Jackie Peace
"Getting new lighting for my kitchen"
I am getting rid of florescent light fixture above...
mollywheels
what brand?
this is in a 70s house. anyone recognize it?
Julie Chapko
dining room/living room combo
we have finished up the construction or remodel house...
American Tile Company
Need help with a 90' boxwood hedge!
I live in St. Louis, MO and we are having a 90' boxwood...
vwcrafty