Help decorate sitting room between living room and dining room.
Stacia Luigi
I have this space I don't know what to do with. It is not very big and I feel it is a dead area in our house. It is located between our t.v./living room and our dining room. I currently have a buffet sitting in the room. But feel that it needs chair or something to serve as a second conversation area. Help!
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
What a lovely view. You could set up a nice sitting area for two - intimate for Sunday after breakfast, reading or a glass of wine.
1 Like   Thanked by Stacia Luigi    November 3, 2013 at 8:54PM
abbyjean
Two comfy chairs with a table between them would be great....maybe even an ottoman to share. How about setting the buffet up as a bar area?? Then you could have drinks there before dinner.
0 Likes   Thanked by Stacia Luigi    November 3, 2013 at 8:57PM
Stacia Luigi
I like the idea of comfy chairs. I just don't know which way to orient them? Should they face each other on the diagonal? And would it make sense to face them toward the dining room (which is what you can see behind you when you stand directly in front of that mirror).
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 11:25AM
printesa
I would have the chairs facing each other, one facing the door and the other with its back at the door. You could use those wing chars from RH. I will find a photo and post it
0 Likes   Thanked by Stacia Luigi    November 4, 2013 at 11:29AM
printesa
This is one of their chair that I love
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 11:30AM
abbyjean
I do not think I would face the dining room with the chairs. If anything, I would have the back of them to the dining room and face the console instead.......or the window, if there is a pleasant view. Maybe a coordinating bench could go in front of the window.....guessing it is a sliding door, but a bench would still allow it to be used. Then others could join the area for conversation and/or drinks. Place a big palm plant on the right side of the console.....will add a feeling of peace and act as a barrier with the other room, too.
0 Likes   Thanked by Stacia Luigi    November 4, 2013 at 11:33AM
gypsyrose17
Are those doors that open or just large windows? If doors, which way so they open...right or left/ in or out? Seems you'd need to accommodate the use of the doors for any furniture placement. I can actually picture an angled chaise where the buffet is with a small table and light, and a more padded arm chair with an ottoman where your current chair is..
0 Likes   February 10, 2014 at 2:04PM
abbyjean
Love this dilemma, but looking at the November date once again. Hope they see this and post back.
0 Likes   February 10, 2014 at 3:12PM
Stacia Luigi
The doors are sliding glass doors and they open on the side where the chair currently is. I am trying to picture the chaise idea. Am having a hard time though.
0 Likes   February 10, 2014 at 4:59PM
gypsyrose17
If you go up to the search bar above and type in chaise, there is photo of a blue one with a tufted side/back...that is the type of chaise I was thinking of. (I am horrible at trying to get a photo or a link to actually post correctly in a comment.)
0 Likes   February 10, 2014 at 5:10PM
Coton Designs
It would be interesting to have a grouping of 4 comfortable chairs surrounding an ottoman. I love the idea of having an additional gathering area. This would be simple, yet interesting.
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 8:04PM
Stacia Luigi
Thanks for the comment Icoton! I thought I that originally but then I was wondering if the room would not look overstuffed. I would have to find small but comfortable chairs.
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 1:35PM
Coton Designs
If you decided to go the four chair route, definitely the buffet would have to exit. If you decide to go for the two chairs. A small table between them, with an ottoman in front would be very warm and welcoming.
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 1:55PM
Stacia Luigi
Coton Designs: So are you saying if I do two chairs that I should keep the buffet and put a small table and an ottoman? Which direction would you face the chairs?
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 3:34PM
Stacia Luigi
These are the adjacent rooms....dining room is to the west, sliding glass doors are on the north side of the house, and t.v. room is on the south side of the room with the buffet.
1 Like   February 28, 2014 at 3:37PM
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
Why not set it up as a chic home office space?
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 3:59PM
lightrep
Maybe change up the lighting and use something very unique. See attached and then see more at tjferrie.com
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 5:14PM
Coton Designs
Yes, I would face the chairs toward the adjacent room. It will make it feel like an extension of it.
0 Likes   March 2, 2014 at 4:58PM
Brenda Sawyer
I would make look like a reading area. Remove the buffet, add bookshelves. Get a lounge chair or two. Change the drapes. Add a rug. I would put in swag lights.
0 Likes   March 3, 2014 at 6:27AM
TheFurnitureCollection
May we see what you have done so far? Old post - from almost one year ago.
0 Likes   October 16, 2014 at 11:27AM
Need Help re Decorating sitting/living room.
I have an open space flat (social area) where I feel...
need help between living and dining room
thinking a half wall- but then the only entrance to...
Need help with huge back wall between living and dining room
Don't know where and how to decorate that wall because...
help decorating living room dining room
Hello, We are moving from a condo to accommodate our...
Frustrated with windows
My living room (and much of the house) is full of yellow...
Need help with my backsplash
We've recently installed solarius granite in our kitchen....
Granite or quartzite
I LOVE the marble look but will not dare to put it...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Wood floor allowance
Our allowance for hardwood floors for the 1st floor...