Brand new farmhouse in MN-biggest decision? Exterior paint color-Help
Allyson Beffel
November 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just started building our dream home- a house in MN on 10 acres with tons of mature trees/woods, dreams of large gardens, chickens, etc... We spent months designing every aspect of the home, but now we need to decide exterior COLOR! Seems like the largest decision of the entire build.
Attached is a picture of the front of the house.
I am pretty sure that I want the house and garage different colors. I am pretty set on a barn red for the garage and adding a cupola and barn type doors to mimic a barn.
Question is....1) am I crazy for doing a different color on the garage and 2) what color for the house? Right now, I am toying with James Hardie Iron Grey(by far the boldest choice), James Hardie Woodland Cream, Harris Cream or Sail Cloth?
HELP!!!! This is a huge decision-any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
thethistle
Plenty of houses have a different coloured garage and look lovely. more than one colour just in the house can lookk great, and I think you have a nice idea. What colour will the house's roof be?
November 3, 2013 at 10:10am      Thanked by Allyson Beffel
PRO
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
We are currently designing a Modern Farmhouse and Garage (carriage barn) for a customer here in California. During the early design stage we talked about barn red for the garage wing and white with black shutters for the main farmhouse. We also went with board and batten siding for the garages and horizontal siding for the house. Yes! Two colts can work as long as you have a good logical place to "break" or cut the two colors. Inside corners are perfect! Also a break in siding material or pattern as noted above helps "drive home" the concept! Good luck with this and your project! So far so good!
November 3, 2013 at 10:46am      Thanked by Allyson Beffel
PRO
Sorry *colors! Type-o, moving too fast this morning!!
November 3, 2013 at 10:47am   
Allyson Beffel
Sounds like we are on the right path! Good to know about thinking about the 'breaking' point, I hadn't really thought of that. Would love to see any pictures of the modern farmhouse as it develops. Have you thought of a roof color yet?
November 3, 2013 at 11:00am     
PRO
We are going with a "standing seam" metal roof at the lower roof pitch (over porches) in pewter color and black asphalt composition shingles on the steeper roof. You might collect your favorite pictures on houzz then print out all of the "exterior" views. Then narrow down to your "best of pics" ! Your color palette will emerge!
November 3, 2013 at 11:30am