Ugly 60's foyer
monitor1
We have the ugliest foyer and I really don't know what to do with it. Our house is a tri-level and when you come in the front door there is a tiled landing with brick steps up to our living room and brick steps down to our den. There is also a brick planter - ugh. Please help with ideas.
heather_11
Is it possible to tile over all of it or carpet?
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 4:56PM
Amy Cali
I'd demo the square tile and add hardwood. The brick will look sooo much better with that tile gone.
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 4:59PM
abbyjean
Is it possible to make the tile the same color as one of the bricks? I have no suggestions of a product to try, but thought I would throw that idea out there.

Guessing a nice big rug would not fit under the door???
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:03PM
lauraandjeff
I would also get rid of the quarry tile and put wood or a better looking tile. If you have the budget I would consider a complete redo but if not how about painting that brick?
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:05PM
solincia
First, you have a beautiful front door. Very nice :) Love the lantern as well. Next, I don't mind the brick. I think the granite looking piece, however, is a bit distracting. If demo is not an option, can you fit a low pile square rug on the landing? Or even cut-to-fit carpet tiles?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:41PM
Agree to replace the small square tile with wood floor like your other floor. I too don't mind the brick at all on the steps, But, I would paint the brick wall (ledge wall) the wall color.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:50PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I actually like the brick stairs - very European! Of course, a simple rug would hide the tile. Painting the brick the same white as the railing is also an option. Budget-permitting you could have some wooden stairs installed (as per picture) and a wooden shelf to cover the top of the planter.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:51PM
saratogaswizzlestick
I like the brick too. Tile is practical at an entry so perhaps just change that small section out.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:56PM
sophie69
Is the granite piece just sitting on top of the planter? I agree with Solincia that this piece looks out of place...if its just resting on top, how about removing it and planting greenery to soften area, then install wood on the "treads only of the stairs...this will tie into your floors.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 6:20PM
countbla
The most obvious issue is that the granite piece looks way too "formal/refined" to go with the rest (brick, door, railing) which is a more comfortable/casual style. Maybe replace with a wood shelf to match the hardwood upstairs?
The next thing you could change is the quarry tile - how about some slate, which still plays with the slightly rustic casual tone, and is more durable right off the entrance compared to hardwood?
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 8:47PM
sivfino
Can you distress the brick or perhaps white wash it?
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 10:07PM
Rina
I also like the brick (and the terracotta tiles); from the comparison below the current setup has far more vitality in it than paint & carpet might get you -- though this is a very crude estimation of what the carpet might look like. Just to help you think through it; it certainly is more streamlined if that's what you're after. I like the idea of wooden treads above, but then I think you would also need to replace the terracotta with wood -- the surfaces are already bitty so adding another surface wouldn't help in that respect. I do think the granite is an uncomfortable companion for the brick, so changing that as suggested above with planting could also help reduce bittiness.
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 1:02AM
chookchook2
Darken the front door and wood spindles to a tone equal to the brick colour on the colour wheel. Not the same, but equal. Eg mid aqua, indigo etc. not red. Black or navy ok too.
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 1:52AM
Color ideas for exterior for classic 60's colonial.
Hi there! We have been in our house for a year now....
Jennifer Valentine
Foyer steps stuck in the 60s! Need some ideas!
We bought our house about a year ago. I've been fixing...
fikus418
Increase curb appeal...currently it's really ugly.....
Need help determining the style of this house. Closest...
armychic
HELP with exterior renovation to 60's home!!
We're in the middle of renovating the exterior of our...
kristine888
My bathroom is stuck in the 60's!
My bathroom still has the gray and black 60's PLASTIC...
Beth Paulsen
Sitting room lighting
Hi, I'm looking for ideas for lighting for our sitting...
brynna2112
Curtains and roman shades for gold bedroom
I wish to place full beige/gold curtains at each window...
kslouca home owner
2 questions: Should I get end tables here? What colour for area rug?
We recently renovated our home. This is the living...
timevampire
Need help with my living room
I don`t know, but something is wrong with this living...
Tia Mia
Really need help with patio
I am trying to figure out how to create a nice patio...
Anna Holmquist