Reface , paint or replace. .... That is the question... Among many oth

Maggie SlobaskyNovember 3, 2013
Please help. Need to do to ASAP renovate and remodel while keeping within a reasonable budget.
Tell us more. Why rushing because too fast can mean mistakes. Budget? Goal? Selling? What style do you hope to portray? Keeping the furniture?
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 4:54PM
A Crew of Two
To me it seems like there is a variety of styles, quality and decades going on here. Looking at your ideabook, I see a lot of white cabinetry there.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:01PM
Heather Godsey-Davis
Your ceilings are beautiful! Dont change them. Other than that I need to know more of want you are trying to accomplish
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:09PM
Maggie Slobasky
We closed on the house about 5 weeks ago. We are anxious to move in and get started here. We are keeping the ceilings the way they are and are trying to update kitchens and baths with a coastal feel. We are tanking of painting the trim/ woodwork white. The house is greats and feels like a cabin. We would really like to brighten it up.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:15PM
Maggie Slobasky
It was built in 1987. Currently , it is unfurnished these are just the photos I had.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:17PM
Wardell Builders, Inc.
Replacing the cabinets can be a very expensive move. At least some of the cabinetry can be saved by refacing them and replacing the hardware. From the photos it looks like some of the cabinets are not very functional for the room design so you may want to remove some of the cabinets especially the ones in the wash room. The bathrooms can be updated cost effectively by removing the wallpaper, replacing the light fixtures, refacing the cabinets and replacing the countertops. Those changes will make a very big difference in the look of your room without having a big impact on your wallet.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:18PM
studio10001
My first suggestion is to allow living in the space to direct your decisions; ASAP can waste time and money. Choose your furnishings. Use your decor itch to settle out the bedroom, then baths first, and keep 'druther lists' for the remaining spaces. These lists will change the longer you are in the house, and will help you get focused.
Your choice of furnishings will help steer you toward a particular style and palette, things you haven't mentioned, but which will determine what finishes will work best for you ( not the numerous opinions of what others would enjoy that you have just opened yourself up to with such an open ended request).
The more specifics you can articulate, the better the advice becomes.
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:28PM
saratogaswizzlestick
Tons of potential. First picture. Remove all fake greenery. Change the funky glass on your ceiling fan. Are your kitchen cabinets made of the same wood as the walls? What are your counters like? I would also like to see the kitchen backsplash as I think all those dark grout lines are doing you no favors with all the lines going on. You have too much wood going on. I would not get wood toned furniture for this room. I would consider painting the ceiling and leave the beams natural. Lighter bath. Get rid of wooden toilet seat. Change the light fixtures. Get rid of the wallpaper. Please give a close up of the tile. Is is pinky? I would paint the vanity, change the hardware, get a new countertop. I love the ceiling. Other bath, take down the wallpaper, change window treatment, what is the counter made of in here. Is it wood tone Formica? Strip wallpaper in laundry room and paint.

Honestly though don't rush and buy stuff. I would start with projects like stripping the wallpaper. Once it is down reassess. If you rush you will make expensive mistakes.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:38PM
The old fashioned bath with wall mounted toilet tank is fun and a conversation starter if it is for guests. I'd leave it for last. The other one could really use some help, so tackle it first - especially if it is the master. Then work your way to the bedrooms and by that time you'll know what the public rooms need and how the kitchen is working/or not for you.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 5:51PM
sstarr93
From what I can see, particularly the bathrooms, you could get a big improvement on all of your cabinetry with paint alone. Use the Rustoleum product for a good result.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 6:00PM
saratogaswizzlestick
Agree about the toilet tank. I was suggesting removing wooden toilet seat in the other bathroom.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 6:08PM
Heather Godsey-Davis
In the lighter colored bathroom... paint, new countertop, and new hardware on cabinets for now. Inexpensive and a quick fix for now till you know more what you want, especially since you want to do something in several rooms. Oh yeah, ang the wood seat!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 6:21PM
Vincent Longo Custom Builders
Always paint first.. cheapest way to go! You can replace if that doesn't work
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 6:24PM
Maggie Slobasky
We were originally thinking painting , adding countertops, backslash in kitchen ... Maybe that's still the best way to go
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 6:48PM
Vincent Longo Custom Builders
Another idea I had that may make the room look good would be to paint the wood between the dark beams on the ceiling the same color as the cabinets and it would really brighten up the room and tie it together! Please post a picture when you are done!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 6:50PM
chookchook2
Are you sure you will get development approval? It may be blocked by the Swiss Family Robinson Heritage Trust
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 7:10PM
Maggie Slobasky
Thanks for not helping chookchook2 it's nice though that you have some sense of humor. Thanks everyone for the helpful comments
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 7:14PM
apple_pie_order
Congratulations on your new house. Have you settled on a budget? When is your move-in date?

If you have children who will be living with you, it will be much easier to paint before you move. If the wood floors need refinishing, definitely do that before moving.

Professional tile cleaners are worth the money if the tile floors and showers are in need of attention.

The pendant support over the breakfast bar seating was custom fitted to the beams. If you want to change the pendants themselves, that'd be easy.

If the ceiling fans are real Casablanca fans, you may be able to order new light fittings for them. Take a look at and a photo of the label stuck on the fan body, then get in touch with their customer service department to identify models.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 7:29PM
sivfino
I love the wood but too much of one color does not sit well with me. IMO I would stain the island an espresso color. Use fun colors on the furniture or white linen colors. Get rid of the plants. Looks like a great project with a ton of potential.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 10:22PM
chookchook2
Have looked at your profile ideas. Go to Pantone 2014 colour family. It will give you the blue and sand colours that you need . Their international colour of the year for 2014 is a mid blue.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 10:24PM
sivfino
Would love to see after photos!
    Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 10:27PM
2dogssashatess
The kitchen has way too much wood for my taste. I might keep the ceiling as it is ( or paint it white and leave the beams as is) and the floor, however, I think gallons of white pain could go on the walls, bench and kitchen cupboards. Ibelieve the bathroom had a duck frieze :( and other wallpaper so strip that off and paint the walls a light color. I agree with other posters get rid of the plants, I have a passionate hatred of ceiling fans and think that leadlight light fitting severely dates your room, so I would pull that down if it were my house. I also would take down those leadlight light shades in the bathroom as they too severely date your room.
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 4:28AM
2dogssashatess
ps as someone who is renovating on a budget, I would suggest your prioritise spending your time and money in the area you spend most time in which I assume will be your kitchen/eating area. generally we are in and out of bathrooms fairly quickly so an eyesore in the bathroom is more easily tolerated.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 4:32AM
juliewatsonklassen
I agree with saratogaswizzelstick - don't rush. If on a budget, prioritize first. Kitchen is liveable, but if you need to do something inexpensively to downplay the wood, then either paint the wood under the breakfast bar, or cover with metal roofing (aluminum) - that will give it a contemporary look, taking away from the cabin fever. And then paintout the kitchen cupboard doors with a neutral colour. Replacing the counter and backsplash lateron when you can afford it. I would leave the ceiling and beams, they are a great feature. Bathroom1: is also liveable, is that wallpaper ? Not good for bathrooms - remove and paint walls in a light colour. I would paint-out the wood ceiling. Bathroom2: definitely remove the wallpaper, paintout the wainscoating in soft white and then contrasting colour above that. Replace wooden toilet seat and paint the cistern white. I would NOT paint the bathroom cupboards or mirror frame. And later on you can re-tile floors & counters once you have time to browse. Good luck ..
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 5:01AM
mdill0n
The ceiling fans are Hunter Originals, built like tanks and as a results are very heavy. These fans are made to last, don't throw them away. Just be sure to oil them one a year with Hunter oil, which can be purchased from Hunter directly.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 7:22AM
Elaine Coombs_Vink
I was in an open house the other day and they had painted the oak cabinets a dark charcoal colour and it looked amazing! It looked like they had it professionally done because the job was awesome. It was a log home and most of the walls were log so the contrast looked great. I'm thinking of doing that to my oak cupboards too and I have a lot of them but want to have an updated look without having to spend huge bucks on a brand new kitchen.
Anyway, I think I'd paint your cabinets also so that they stand out from the rest of the wood walls. There's a lot of wood in the house so it would be a great contrast. You could do with the darker charcoal or gray or an espresso colour (brownish grey)..that I see in all the kitchen stores these days. Add some tile back splash and it would look awesome!
You could paint the island a different fun colour or just leave it too. Good luck and have fun.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 7:34AM
happyasaclam
Do the messy removal/painting stuff first. That includes the flooring. Are you acting as the contractor or will you be hiring one?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 7:39AM
chookchook2
2dogssashatess, I hope you don't have a lisp while introducing yourself
1 Like    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 1:29AM
A Crew of Two
Congratulations! Your home has so much potential and some great features. To me it seems like there is a variety of styles, quality and decades going on here. Looking at your ideabook I see a lot of white cabinetry. Bathrooms are easy to tackle, but need to function- so I would tackle those first. In the duck bathroom- those cabinets look like wood. What about whitewashing the bead board on the walls, remove the little feathered friends, paint the walls a sand color, new counter top and a white mirror. I think the toilet could work if it weren't for all the wood on it- wonder if you could paint it and just get a new seat?
Duneseye · More Info
Concrete Bath Sinks · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 3:49AM
A Crew of Two
For the green bath- this is the master? This needs to be your sanctuary. New cabinets are a must. From what I can see those are not real wood boxes so painting them is not the best answer. The whole room is very dated- from the tile to the lights. This is going to b a budget eater if you are not handy. Not sure why there is just one sink, but a new counter and two sinks would be on a must list. Even if you do not do a complete remodel choose something you like and it can be used when you do the whole room. So, if not in a hurry- change out the lights, paint (I hope that isn't wallpaper) new cabinet hardware and a rug to make the space yours.
Reed Single Sconce · More Info
Manchester Tan HC-81 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
Blue Beach Glass Bath Accessories · More Info
Barrier Reef Rug, Cream · More Info
Concrete Bath Sinks · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 4:00AM
A Crew of Two
The laundry area-is this also an entry room? I just see a lot of wasted space. It's hard to tell is this off the kitchen? This room has so much potential, but without seeing the whole space it is hard to advise. But i see a multi-purpose area. I love the ceilings in the second pic below- it looks like they painted them a high gloss pastel green. It really gives the room some wow.
Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info
Laundry Room · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Maggie Slobasky    November 6, 2013 at 4:06AM
A Crew of Two
Your kitchen has so much potential, but without a budget idea it is hard to advise. Hope these inspire you!
Mastro Residence · More Info
kitchen · More Info
Amy Trowman Design - Beach Houses · More Info
Darien Beach House · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 4:12AM
happyasaclam
A Crew, your beachy ideas are great! They fit her wants, and are casual and classy all at the same time!
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 4:58AM
Maggie Slobasky
Thank you for all the input. I have had a few GCs come out and quote, a painter, a tile/stone guy, cabinet co. and a designer take a look at the place. We have small children and planned on getting the work done prior to move in. We wanted to get in as soon as possible but also wanted it done right ...I was considering painting the kitchen cabinets white/ or a beachy driftwood white. With the island painted a different color. OR I priced refacing where they're face and replace the drawers tooOR considered replacing all cabinetry. The wood is solid wood cabinetry although it's from 1987. Replacing counter tops with granite and tiling entire kitchen and bath. For the laundry, removing wall paper and making a combo mud room. I was going to remove the wallpaper and paint the walls along wit he wood in the powder room
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 6:36PM
Maggie Slobasky
I appreciate all the input A crew of two... Looking for a gig in Florida?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 6:37PM
chookchook2
Nice if designers get work from Houzz, they are so generous with their time here
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 5:15AM
juliewatsonklassen
Maggie - looking forward to seeing updates & photos after the painting ....
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Maggie Slobasky    November 12, 2013 at 5:11AM
Refacing, replacing or painting kitchen cabinets
We are trying to update our kitchen a bit to make it...
agswinford
Refacing a house to improve "curb appeal"
My husband and I are looking for our first home together....
Kelly Phillips
Kitchen cabinets. Replace or reface? Pros and cons
Putting house on market in next 6-8 months. Want to...
mcgov1
Refacing kitchen
I have a few detailed questions... The first is that...
mswardrop
How to finish cabinets to make the new addition cohesive with the othe
Getting our home ready for sale and I appreciate your...
evamdesign
Helph with sliding barn doors for 1920's craftsman style home
We just purchased a 1920's craftsman style home and...
sjcrain
Thoughts on the new Bosch Benchmark appliances
We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and...
nmgrimes
air compressor protection
I have a a/c unit that was ten years old and the capacitor...
softtchtoo
Please help with designing large shower or keeping shower/tub design
Currently have a 9ft 4" x 3ft 8" wide space....
lm1170
Fabuwood cabinets - reviews
We are ready to order new cabinets for kitchen remodel...
reillyg
Sponsored Products
British Colonial Double Outdoor Chaise Lounge Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Replacement Filter for Alrigo Series Stainless Steel Wall-Mount Range Hood
Signature Hardware
PAR16 High Power COB LED Bulb, 4W
Super Bright LEDs
Martha Stewart Living™ Lake Adela Replacement Cushions
Home Decorators Collection
WAC Lighting | HR-LED309-NIC - 3 in. LED New Construction IC Housing
$162.00 | YLighting
T3-1/4 Miniature Wedge Base LED Tier Light Bulb - 6 SMD LEDs
Super Bright LEDs
New England Arbors Burton Composite Lamp Post - VA94431
$139.99 | Hayneedle
kaarskoker Polka Dot 4 in. x 7/8 in. Pink Paper Candle Covers, Set of 2 PNK-DOT-
$8.76 | Home Depot