Need help for this church exterior design

MarlinsNovember 3, 2013
I am team of this project and need some ideas or critics about this exterior design, please. Thanks all
Kaplan Architects, AIA
The first picture I find a bit busy. I think mostly because of the different window shapes above the horizontal overhang. If the area above the horizontal overhang could be simplified, I would like it better. The second picture of the side of the building I like better because the differing shapes of the windows in the first picture do not occur here.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Marlins    November 4, 2013 at 12:32PM
What does your client think about the 2 designs? They are paying for the project so our opinions wouldn't matter.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 2:19PM
mmilos
I like the general design and structure. I think I would simplify the different textures and finishes to make only particular details stand out (i.e. the stained glass windows or cross motifs).

Also, I would arch the open structure of the tower tops to tie in the arch theme.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 2:36PM
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
I would elongate the steeple frame for proportionality--as is, they look like cheap add-ons. Otherwise, I agree that it is too busy. The windows in the gray wall area could be neutralized with a dark or gray frame.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 5:49PM
chookchook2
Nice to see colour on street scapes. Repetition of same shapes pleases the eye in building
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 5:59PM
Cat Rowe
The two large stained glass Windows's the top of the overhangs I would change to reliefs in a Navajo color, instead of stained glass. I would change the white trim to Navajo.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 6:01PM
chookchook2
Hubby says " and parcels by "
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 6:09PM
chookchook2
Sorry wrong thread
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 6:10PM
incubus_of_habit
Churches can be, and often are, audacious in style. This one definitely is. If that's the goal, then I say "carry on!"

If the goal, on the other hand, is to fit into a particular style or neighborhood, I'd have to say that I have no clue in which direction this facade is headed in. I see over a dozen different and contrasting patterns and surface materials. It's busy, busy, busy.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 6:18PM
Norwood Architects
There are too many different styles, materials, and forms on the structure. The side elevation and the front look like two different buildings. Stick with 2 or 3 materials max and eliminate/ reduce the corner towers (almost resemble minarets on a mosque). Aligning the canopy heights on both sides and matching the column designs will also help the scale and proportions as well as bringing the two sides together. On the front elevation, the upper columns attached to the facade look a bit like buttresses and should align with the columns on the canopy so the upper structure/design align with the lower.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 6:23PM
happyasaclam
Whew! You do have a lot going on there. I like the second design better as it is so much less busy. I'd get rid of the spires and whatever that is on the left side of the building. Do the members know the maintenance costs associated with that much fru fru stuff?
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Marlins    November 4, 2013 at 7:13PM
Amy Wax
I would defiantly simplify the trim colors on the front of the building. With color you can minimize how many distracting shapes are fighting each other, choosing to highlight the shapes that you want to be the most prominent.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 7:23PM
happyasaclam
I bet you are between a rock and a hard place trying get this project off the paper and onto the building site. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 7:28PM
Guy Stephenson
Perhaps a couple of thoughts; What would Christ want his church to look like? As he was a carpenter by trade as am I, it seems to me he would be more interested in craftsmanship and quality of materials than overly ornate designs. My guess is he appreciates simplicity, form and function. As the spirit of God comes not in thunder and loud voices but in the still, small sweet voice of peace, I would simplify it so it would appear to praise him rather than shout to man. Just my perspectives for whatever they're worth. FYI to all of you...the two pictures are the same building, one is front elevation and the 2nd is side elevation.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Marlins    November 4, 2013 at 10:23PM
luminae
In light of his three years spent homeless and preaching under the open sky, Jesus would probably prefer to have such excessive time, money, and energy spent serving the less fortunate... So I would say a shelter and community garden. Don't recall any bible passages about stained glass.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Marlins    November 5, 2013 at 2:56AM
chookchook2
Lose corner towers, lose latticework on central tower , lose repeating pattern stained glass. Have stained glass that tells a story. This was its original function in times of illiteracy and there is still a lot of that about today. Agree re shelter and community garden. Agree with comments above. The shorter angled windows should extend to level of others. Glorify God , don't make Him go cross-eyed.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 4:03AM
chookchook2
Hubby says contrast the colour of the cross.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Marlins    November 5, 2013 at 4:08AM
happyasaclam
It's not about the building folks, it's about the message. BUT, Marlins has a church to build, within a budget and still satisfy the congregation. As the team leader of this project, Marlins needs concrete suggestions as well as our prayers. I'm going to do the praying because I can't seem to contribute much else, except to say I agree with chookchook about the stained glass windows and the lattice work. Those spires need to go away, too.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Marlins    November 5, 2013 at 7:40AM
Guy Stephenson
Email me at glstephenson60@gmail.com and I'll give you an idea of some revisions that might really help. Always happy to assist.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Marlins    November 5, 2013 at 5:13PM
happyasaclam
Marlins, I hope we did not scare you away. I realize how large a project of this size is and how important it is that you please the church members. I'm confident there are some Houzzers that are very capable of meeting your needs. Give them time to find you!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Marlins    November 5, 2013 at 5:33PM
Marlins
Dytecture, i and some people in this team project are the client. I agree of you all that the front elevation is too busy..sorry for late responding for this all comment, and thank you all for your attention. I will bring this all comments and ideas into our next meeting next week
1 Like    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 12:46AM
Marlins
Dear Guy Stephenson, yes you are right, the first picture is front elevation and the second picture is side elevation. Both picture are the same building...thank you for explain to all people here.. Actually we have received interior design also from architect and his team, and i have some comment about that.i look that the interior looks busy too, same with the front elevation design, but i need also comment from all of you guys, because many ideas would be better than my ideas only...if you all dont mind, i will post the interior design here..the architect has two different design...can i post them here..? Thank you
1 Like    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 12:55AM
Marlins
Dear all, i appreciate all of your comments here, i will bring them all to my next meeting. This disscussing will be continue. God bless you all!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 1:01AM
88 Atelier for Architecture
I agree it looks busy and feel it is because there are too many elements competing for attention that do not work well together. It looks like a conceptual design, meaning it has a ways to go before becoming a workable detailed solution. I question for example the constructibility of some elements. This is my two cents. The proportions and massing are pretty standard.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 3:43AM
condoquilter
Most faith communities have a building style which helps people identify them. This one looks like it could be Roman Catholic, but the competing elements of the facade, stained glass and turrets make it difficult to discern. The theology of the congregation should be influencing the design choice.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Marlins    November 9, 2013 at 3:55AM
ndiks17
how did you manage to put all materials and which software are you using. I designed a church and I also need critics as the client doesn't like the design. my email is asgatsheni@gmail.com
1 Like    Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 1:08PM
chookchook2
Put up a dilemma like this one, with pictures, ndiks17.
Can we please have an update, Condoquilter?
    Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 3:25PM
ndiks17
was inspired by your design for the front towers nevertheless how can I improve on the exterior
    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 7:42AM
chookchook2
First pic looks a bit monolithic.
    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 7:47PM
Darla Scheuerman
First off visually, the cross needs to stand alone and not be mixed in, as it is, it appears to be a shadow box not a cross. The arches are just too much too much. Change the stain glass windows to a more traditional shape stain glass windows. Think Italy.
    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 9:20PM
Darla Scheuerman
And remove the architectural hard straight line from the front of the church, it feels very unwelcoming, blocking actually, the entire front should be open, open, open= all are welcome.
    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 9:23PM
Need help with exterior design
My husband and I are new to Houzz. Can you direct us...
rhondalv1
Need help with the exterior design of this colonial stone house
We're in the process of buying this 80's colonial style...
Edie Goodrich
Need major advice for a church sanctuary
This is a picture of the left side wall of our sanctuary...
rachelworley79
Need help with exterior design
We took the screen off to open up the porch. It looks...
klynnbp
Need help with exterior design!
Just bought this beautiful 1960 house. The inside is...
justinison
Which sofa for This Living Room
Which sofa would go well for this living room? We like...
Bee Cat
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
toatsmcgoats
Floor Plan Dilemma
As you see in the floor plan below, there are decent...
john2525
What to do with dining room wall?
Would a photo ledge or a couple of large picture frames...
rgulick
I need to find a mirror to put over the console table
My console is 48 inches wide, I have 9 foot ceilings...
ntrama