Help in adding colour in living room
agiusb
We have just upgraded our living room and the next thing is to buy the curtains and decorations, ornaments and pintings or prints. However the main concern os the colours to use. So far we were thinking of a colour such as Fucsia/Hot. Pink, but any other ideas are appreciated.
Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
You're room is so neutral that any color will work. Hot pink sounds fab and if it's what you love, then go for it!
November 4, 2013 at 3:38AM        Thanked by agiusb
joypratt
I think you are truly brave for that color choice! I think it is fabulous! But....I think you may grow tired of it quickly...accents of that color are easier to undo.
November 4, 2013 at 3:52AM        Thanked by agiusb
juliewatsonklassen
Really Like your furniture choice, neutral and can go with most colours... I do feel though you have too many shelves/cupboards mounted on the walls and it chops up the room too much. I would lower the horizontal cupboard & shelf . Maybe position the white one under the TV and the wood one just above the tv... Choose a nice large piece of artwork for your feature wall and then decide on the wall colours so that it compliments yr art. You may also think about putting all the vertical shelving together to create the illusion of "one" unit.
November 4, 2013 at 4:09AM        Thanked by agiusb
agiusb
Unfortunately all items have been affixed to the walls now and hence it is not possible to alter their positioning. The intention is to have some art work, with vibrant colours that most probably fit well with the colour that we choose. The concern is what level to introduce the new colour. Should it be just the accessories or some hint in the curtains, or should it be incorporated in the carpet and/or sofa covers. Currently it is too plain, however it is so relaxing and wish to not overdo with colour.
November 4, 2013 at 4:17AM     
Mark
Your room is beautiful. I wouldn't add any bright colors to drapery rather keep it in small items such as throw pillows and vases and some art. I could see some pattern cushions like this "ikat" pillow. I think the colors in this pillow would compliment your décor and not take over the calm pallet that you have.
November 4, 2013 at 4:33AM        Thanked by agiusb
Laurence Tillett
The first thing is to find something you love. Never buy something because you think it will work....you have to love it! It could be either a rug or a large piece of art....once you have that in place, your innate sense of "belonging" will take over. Then, you find the next thing, then the next. The most expensive thing should be the thing you love the most. For me, it was my oriental rug ... all my design inspiration came from that, but remember, you don't have to match colors exactly. my rug is primarily rust, with gray, cream and blue accents (in that order of amount)...I have a brown leather sofa and two green-blue armchairs on it. And it all looks wonderful together. Good luck! take your time, and "live" with each acquisition for at least a week before you move on to the next.
November 4, 2013 at 4:34AM      Thanked by agiusb
CDR Design
Nice start. However, before you add more here,

I agree with Linda that the cabinetry is a little off. The cabinetry over the tv is looming large.

I would think it would not be that big of a deal to move the white cabinet to below the tv, but if you don't want to, I would caution that you put something very visually light on the white shelves.

It would also help to add some vertical shelving on either side of tv. (units could sit on bottom shelf).

Plants are looking dated and dinky. Can you move them out or move them together somewhere?

Chair looks shoved into corner. Move it out a little.. Remove ottoman from corner. Can you put it somewhere else?

How about some celladon green or chartreuse with maybe some orange? I would love to see some texture in the room and you can add it through some pillows and throws and texture of moss balls on your shelves.

[houzz=Palmer Point Road Residence 2 Living Room 2[houzz=Colourful modern living room.[houzz=Family Living Areas]
November 4, 2013 at 4:35AM      Thanked by agiusb
CDR Design
Wow, Mark, what is that about great minds?
November 4, 2013 at 4:36AM        Thanked by agiusb
Rocky Mountain Color & Design
I love the idea of fuchsia! You could make the artwork yourself to match your colors. I like the idea of bringing the fuchsia into the drapery, but only if you're sure you're going to love it for a long time.
November 4, 2013 at 4:55AM        Thanked by agiusb
Rocky Mountain Color & Design
I also love this chair if you have room for the other one somewhere else.
November 4, 2013 at 4:57AM     
CDR Design
Can we see a photo of the other side of the room?

More substantial drapes hung as high as possible.
November 4, 2013 at 5:00AM      Thanked by agiusb
agiusb
This is the other side of the room showing the sofa and the kitchen
November 4, 2013 at 11:44AM   
CDR Design
Thanks. Not a lot of room for art, but you certainly can assessorize
November 4, 2013 at 12:41PM        Thanked by agiusb
New England Design & Construction
You have such a beautiful neutral color palette - I would definitely stick to only 1 accent color, more might overwhelm some of the other beautiful features in the room. I'd do a calm color, like a blue or green, with one or two accent pillows to tie it in to the rest of the room, and maybe a piece of colorful artwork or sculpture.

Any color would work though; there is nothing to compete with it!
November 4, 2013 at 12:49PM        Thanked by agiusb
No hot pink. But love your room as is. Good job. Neutral color on panels on window stay close to wall color. Which is nice. Bring in color with art go, big and bold colors like hot pink. Keep accessories just a few in silver, white with maybe one pink vase. In mix same with pillows. Keep it classy.
November 4, 2013 at 12:59PM      Thanked by agiusb
You have a contemporary looking room keep art like that.
November 4, 2013 at 1:00PM      Thanked by agiusb
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Fabric brings a depth and richness to any decor, whether contrasting to add colour or blending to maintain a palette. I would aim for a window treatment to add the burst of colour you seek, picking up the fabric with something complementary (not identical) in cushions or throws, with a decorative glass item or group of three picking up a colour from the fabric. You'll get a different feel from the fabric with the curtains open and framing sheers or view than you will at night with the curtains closed and a larger expanse exposed. Have fun!
November 4, 2013 at 1:06PM        Thanked by agiusb
agiusb
Thanks all for your feedback and contributions. Should I have known beforehand of this discussion forum I would have discussed the layout beforehand for some ideas as this was a really difficult room to plan. The idea for the number of units was made since this is a room used by all the family and as time goes by I am realizing more and more that storage space requirements are on the increase. I have appreciated all feedback, however I am still not sure what is the best colour to choose to leave untouched the serenity the room projects and at the same time have some features. Definitely a painting is a must especially in the gap between the TV unit and the other 3 units. The colour will surely have to match the other colour I wish to add. The one-seater has been moved and put at an angle to the sofa as suggested as its placing was not nice.

I must say that the problems that persist are the colours, especially since locally, that is Malta, the shops selling house ornaments seem to import the same stock and unless one goes purchasing abroad it is not difficult to get what you want. Maybe is someone has some web links to share that ship to Europe, I will be willing to go through them. The other item pending is the carpet. I think that ideally this should be similar to the sofa, however that will not make it that visible and contrasting. The other option will be to buy it the same colour of the furniture, the dark one. This way it will be similar create a contrast with the floor and sofa and will also not get that much dirty through usage. However I believe that this ought to be decided once we buy the curtains that will most probably have a colour that is in between of the sofa and the dark furniture.

So any suggestions, comments or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.
November 4, 2013 at 11:05PM     
CDR Design
Great that you moved the chair! I would not put a piece of art next to the tv. Too much competition with the tv and all that is going on there. Your shelves will make a statement.

Here is what I would do to get you started:

-Look at the photos we have posted and other photos on Houzz to see what colors you may be drawn to.
-Look around your house and see if you have anything of those colors (a green plate, a pink scarf, etc) Bring those into the room one at a time to see how you like the feel of them. Take photos if you want and we can comment
-Go to a local store that takes returns and do the same. Buy a few pillows in, let's say, teal or pink and bring them home and see how you like the feel in your room.

_Go to a local fabric store and find/buy some fabric you like. Bring it home and try it out. You could get a local seamstress to make some pillows for you.

Hope that helps. We will wait for you to post pics.
November 5, 2013 at 2:55AM     
CDR Design
I noticed you already have green going on with the plants and one plant pot. I would call it apple green or maybe chartreuse. How do you like that color in there?
November 5, 2013 at 3:00AM   
Help in adding colour in living room
We have just upgraded our living room and the next...
Help adding some colour to living room
Hi, I am writing because I am struggling to find...
need exterior color ideas
need siding and shingles on our new house..we have...
Trim trim trim....
I just posted, but les just focus here for a second....
Just want a place that's relaxing!
Being a junior in highschool is stressful with lots...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...