Help me pitch my flat roof!
wilkinsonre
We are buying a home that will need a new roof immediately. The roof is flat and the entire second level of the home is mansard style. I do not understand why a flat roof costs so much to replace. Estimates range from $12,500 to almost $30,000. It seems to me a simpler solution is to attach beams to the upper portion of the mansard and go across the current roof at a 1:12 pitch then deck and cover in roofing metal. Why do we have to go the complicated, costly membrane route? Thanks.
incubus_of_habit
Mansard roofs are a very particular look. Not sure how a shed roof on top of a mansard style roof would work visually. Maybe it can be done, but I'd suggest you work with an architect on that. In addition, 'adding beams' isn't necessarily a simple solution--nor are metal roofs 'cheap'.
November 3, 2013 at 9:42pm   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I totally agree with the previous comment. You do need an expert's advice.
Also, have you gotten bids from at least 3 roofing contractors who are highly recommended in your area? I suggest that you do both.........get 3 bids and talk to an architect.
November 3, 2013 at 10:58pm   
Help!
How do I make this exterior more appealing or cozy?...
Blank White Walls
I just moved into this house. It is small but I love...
Help!! Pretty please. I need lots of ideas.
I was given a couple ideas but still unsure if we should...
Have 60" Kitchen wall-what to do?
Hi. I can't afford a completely new kitchen and I...
Need help selecting wall to wall carpet for my living room!
Carpet needs to be replaced! Already 10 years old &...