Help, new family room expansion made old living room useless

paigeparsNovember 4, 2013
When the new greatly expanded family room was added, the old living room portion of living/dining combo became virtually useless due to multiple traffic patterns and loss of large wall space. Would love suggestions on how to use this space now. BTW: This is view from front door, so first thing you see upon entering.
More views of the house and a floor plan would be needed in order to make suggestions.
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 5:25AM
paigepars
Thank you, but I haven't bought it yet, so am limited to pics posted online. Trying to decide if this would work as library/reading space but the lake view is out the new windows you see in the greatroom, so this is kind of just extra space now. Don't want office or playroom for grands in plain view so may just have to make it a grand entry.
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 6:31AM
Anne Dykstra
My home is somewhat similar. I know it's too late now, but next time you take on a project like this, step back and look at the room or the space from every angle and project what you will see, and what you want to see for example when you walk in the front door and look through the living room back to the family room. Is the view out those windows nice?
Maybe try to focus on that.

Get that family room decorated and be able to co ordinate or blend the living room into the family room. Move that chair with brown arms out of immediate view that sits in the family room. Couple more things... A patterned rug in the living room (to help hide traffic marks) and to add warmth would be nice. You may even try two rugs, one for the sitting area, and one long one for the "path" Try moving the two arm chairs next to the couch to create a cozy seating area, where people could actually be close to one another when they talk. Then that wall against the stairs would become more of a "path" and the left side would be the living room. If you have a console table or a credenza that could be placed on the wall under the stairs that could be used to hold family pictures, or during the holidays your foveate collections. I can't see if the dining table that is in the forefront of the picture can be turned, moved or made smaller to access the "path" going to the second floor and the family room easily, but that would be nice. Maybe the front door doesn't get used often and therefore it's not an issue, if it does, I would suggest changing the placement if you can. Especially if you have kids.
Hope I haven't been to blunt, and honest. My home has a similar set up and I have 5 kids. I know about traffic! Good Luck
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 6:57AM
RosemaryR
Hard to determine w/o additional px but maybe an expanded dining room with very long table to accommodate all the guests you're sure to be having at the lake.
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 6:59AM
DMH DESIGN
Yes, more pics would be very helpful, so we can also understand the context of the dropped ceiling of the entry as it relates to the existing living room space. TY!
    Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 7:33AM
Need help for my living/family room
Recently moved to this house. It's a great living room...
swapna12345
Need help converting living room into a more contemporary tv room/family room.
We want a family room that's stylish and comfortable....
Margo Marks
I need help with my living room and family room
Hi, We just brought a new house. TheLiving and Family...
nnaghme27
Need help with my family room decor
I have a great family room with a ceiling that reaches...
mlmille2
Help with my new family room....
I have a family room in need of help. Its kind of narrow,...
Allison Taliaferro
need help to organise my study table
Hi Guys, I am stuck at decorating my corner study...
shaimamadhi
Living room area rug
I have a large size living room with beautiful light...
donndoo
Painting old dresser
I want to paint/repurpose this old dresser. It has...
meganbuch
Should I build a flat roof???
The cottage I am building would look so much better...
pattees
Anything we can change to enhance the space?
We just finished painting this room. And like it the...
abcmut09