Faux fireplace help
vorren
Hello,

Hoping there are some suggestions out there for me. I have a built in bookcase in the front room. They are quite deep(about 15")
I can't quite figure out how to decorate, and I was thinking of making it into a faux fireplace. I have some corbel like pieces that mount to the wall so I was thinking of putting a mantle over them and adding some decorative trim, tile etc.

My question: would this look ok in this room and which shelf should I align the mantle with? The bottom opening is 34" high and 8" off the ground. The other two are 18" high.

Ideally it'd be somewhere in the middle but I'd hate to waste all the space of the middle shelf...

Thanks in advance!
Mark
I think the niches would look more attractive if you used them to display large vases, art etc. You could also paint or wallpaper the niches with color and pattern for contrast if you would like. If it is possible to have lights put in them to shine down on the vases or art it would be even better.
Contemporary Dining Room
utopia projects
November 4, 2013 at 7:16am     
incubus_of_habit
How about make it a real fireplace?
November 4, 2013 at 7:48am   
indianpatti
I'm not a fan of niches ... I like incubus' idea of a real fireplace ... or make the niche bigger and add glass shelving. Something like this:
November 4, 2013 at 8:00am   
vorren
I'm also not a fan! I don't think that I can change the size of this - the chimney is in one side and a much needed closet on the other so the width need to remain the same.

If we did do a real fireplace (would be ventless gas) at what height would you place a mantle? And then what about above that? The glass shelves idea could work:)
November 4, 2013 at 8:13am   
leelee
It looks like those niches are not on a major wall. A fireplace would seem like an afterthought or worse. So keep it a bookcase and though I'm not usually a fan of painting the back of the wall a different color it might give it some personality and interest.
November 4, 2013 at 8:34am   
leelee
Do large but varied sizes of baskets in each of the spaces. On the bottom space hang a basket on the wall in back then place another bowl shaped basket at the base.
November 4, 2013 at 8:41am   
CDR Design
Here are some photos to help you envision what you might want. To me, the biggest issue is that the niches are not wide enough. When you say a "faux" fireplace, what do you mean?

[houzz=Family Room][houzz=Beaugureau Studios][houzz=Sleepy Hollow Residence]
November 4, 2013 at 8:51am   
NW Artisan Hardware
Hi vorren, I think if you were to put a sliding barn door on the wall it would not only be a great addition to the room, but also could be used to cover if and when you want it covered. We offer a lot of unique styles and also do customized work. Check out our website for more! www.nwartisanhardware.com
November 4, 2013 at 9:18am   
vorren
I love the basket idea for the top two shelves as well as the idea of painting the insides a contrasting color! It'd add the interest I'm looking for! I believe this wall used to have a wood stove against it which is why I was thinking fireplace, but we don't have a chimney that we could hook up to it. By faux fireplace I just mean putting a mantle on the wall an molding on the sides to widen it a bit. could have candles in the bottom section... And eventually be a real vent free fireplace.

The barn door is an idea I haven't thought about but it could work nicely!

Thanks for the ideas :)
November 4, 2013 at 9:27am   
lucyhomedecor
How wide is your niche?
November 4, 2013 at 9:29am   
CDR Design
What is the purpose of the room?
Can we see more photos of the room?
Do you have a tv in the room?
What do you feel is lacking that you could use? (example, storage).

When you try to fill up a space, just for the sake of filling it, the result often looks like that. Form follows function.

Answers to those questions would help us help you better.
November 4, 2013 at 9:31am   
vorren
30" and unfortunately we can't widen it:(
November 4, 2013 at 9:31am   
vorren
Currently there's not much else in the room... Trying to determine its use still but will likely end up being a sitting room (no tv) the room is 11x13 with French doors on the left of this wall and windows on the two others (ill take pictures this evening l) we jus moved so currently it's just random end tables that don't have a home yet
November 4, 2013 at 9:42am   
CDR Design
What a charming room. So, since you just moved in, I would caution you not to do anything drastic. You might decide you want an office and need storage. Who knows?

For now, I would add some decorative pieces that you already have and set it up as a sitting room, until you determine if you need it for another purpose.

I think you will have a hard time finding a fireplace fitting the dimension of the bottom.
November 4, 2013 at 9:58am   
lucyhomedecor
Could you put a cabinet in the bottom shelf like one of these? I would take the feet off the first one. The second one is a little deeper, but you can open the doors that way. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Stripe-Double-Door-Floor-Cabinet/7211322/product.html?searchidx=2 http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/New-Visions-by-Lane-Manor-Hill-Black-Wine-Cabinet/6141401/product.html?refccid=P7FG5JPKNAFLOPSBCXPC5JX4DA&searchidx=45

You could also have a custom cabinet built in the bottom shelf.

On the second shelf I would mirror the back & put a piece of granite on the bottom of that shelf. You could use the niche as a bar & display a tray & some glasses.

On the top shelf you could paint the back & display some unique accessories.

I would have a light installed in the top of the top two shelves.
November 4, 2013 at 11:16am   
Mackenzie Collier Interiors
Hi Vorren, I think your idea of a faux fireplace is really creative and you are headed in the right direction with the intention of re-purposing those wall niches. Although making it look like a fireplace would surely look nice, it would lose any functionality. Instead, why not consider using those three niches as a dry bar? You could create a custom, built-in wine rack in the bottom shelf, or simply buy a freestanding wine rack much like the image I have attached here, with the appropriate dimensions, and insert into the shelf area. The other two shelves above it could be used to display glassware and bar-ware such as wine glasses and decanters or ice buckets and shakers. Put a mirror inside, or tile the back wall inside of them to dress it up. Without having to hire an electrician, you can purchase an adhesive LED light at Target or Walmart to add some lighting to the inside of each niche. I have provided some images from other photos on Houzz to give you some ideas. Can't wait to see what you doing with the space. There are many other great ideas posted on this Design Dilemma!

Wet Bar with tiled niche for glassware and floating shelves

Apartment downtown Belgrade 2
November 4, 2013 at 7:58pm   
Best Iron?
I find myself AGAIN in need of a new iron after dropping...
Do you have a dedicated craft room?
Curious to see if people have a dedicated craft or...
Need help with under cabinet LED lighting
I'm having MAJOR stress figuring out what to use for...
Cheap unique grill island
I need an idea for a cheap outdoor grill island . I...
L-shaped living room/dining room suggestions?
We are first time homeowners and would love some help...