Ceiling Heights
Katie Launderville
So my living room has 9' ceilings and my front porch which is a heated porch has 7.5 / 8' ceilings. There is an interior wall with a large picture window and door currently separating the 2 rooms. I would really like to knock the wall out and open the living room and make one larger room except for the height of the ceiling. I suppose we could knock the ceiling out of the porch and have it vault down toward the front of the house as shown in picture. Thoughts on if anyone has seen or done this and the after look?

Also looking to redo the outside of the house so thoughts or ideas on that too. The front door is not there anymore, we have upgraded that since we purchased it but would like new curb appeal look as well.
Interiors by Design, Terri Marcus, ASID, RID
More than likely the wall separating living from porch is a support wall. That means there is a beam/header in attic space (or that you can see when in the porch area) that helps support roof. You need to talk with a structural engineer or architect about expense. When we have had to do for a 25 ft span it cost around $5,000 here in West Texas. Talk with architect about alternatives. When you raise ceilings you have to consider structure, roof, etc. not saying it cant be done, it just isnt an easy inexpensive alteration.
2 Likes   Thanked by Katie Launderville    November 5, 2013 at 9:05AM
Vicki Simon Interior Design
I did something similar. A new beam was added separating the two rooms. I think it can be done successfully.
2 Likes   Thanked by Katie Launderville    November 5, 2013 at 9:10AM
Katie Launderville
If we go forward with it, I will take before and after pics to post :)
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 7:38AM
Narrow entry wall that opens to large space
Just got this piece. It is a vintage piece. Want to...
Vanessa Sierra-Torres
Boring windows
Since I have moved in 4 years ago the front of my house...
pammareid
Best part of living in the Pacific Northwest?
Do you or have you lived in the Pacific Northwest?...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Need help with furniture placement for my family room
Attached are pictures starting from the right. The...
rachelmiranda