Blank Wall in Bedroom
megclaffey
I have a large blank wall in our master bedroom that I am ready to tackle. We just had some great fall family photos done and was thinking of either doing a large canvas centered or four smaller squared photos or... Go in a totally different direction and do a gallery style wall with different sizes (and maybe even different frames) that is anchored by a larger center photo. Any thoughts on what would look best on a wall that size? It's a wall you look at as you walk into the room, which also happens to be off our main family room. I've attached pictures of the rest of the room for perspective. Thanks for your inputs, houzzers!
Ekhaya Designs
Your room is beautiful. If you do different frames I would say see if you can incorporate the different colors of woods you have in the bedroom on the wall. For example, your bed frame is a different color from your dresser so have the picture frames in those colors. Another idea would be to find different frames and paint them the same color as your bedding.
November 4, 2013 at 5:19pm     
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
Ceiling pop ups nice but you would have been even more successful with larger crown molding--you can probably successfully add additional trom below existing to make it bolder (and more in scale) rather than replacing existing. Also flat paint on the molding would work better than what looks in the photo like gloss.
PyramidDG.com
November 4, 2013 at 5:24pm     
New Again Home Interiors
If you keep the lines clean, and the photos similar, a gallery wall can look very nice in a master bedroom. I collected a few photos for an ideabook for you to look at. I like incorporating mirrors, letters, or both into the wall. Perhaps your last initial...
November 4, 2013 at 5:24pm     
AnAhitA Nazari
I would remove the Mirror from door and Dresser , over the Dresser I would hand either a Painting with 2 table lamps each side, on Blank wall I would Put a large Floor Mirror with a Palm plant and up light from Home Depot The bench needs another spot add a throw and pillows
November 4, 2013 at 5:26pm     
megclaffey
Ekhaya - Thanks for the great idea about the frames. The bed was handmade by my husband and his grandfather and we had the hardest time finding a bedroom set that was a perfect match. They are clooooose but not quite there - love the idea of using different frames to tie them together.

Pyramid - thank you for the thoughts, not interested in changing ceiling right now tho!

New Again - thanks for the ideabook! I had started by looking at gallery walls on Houzz but even that one you found didn't come up (there are so many) and I love the symmetry in it.

Anahita - Thanks for the thoughts. The idea of a painting over the large dresser is a lovely one, but I really love the big mirror on the dresser. The one on the door could definitely go (and we sometimes rotate it to be on the other side of the door for aesthetics but the light is better on this side.) Should mention the bench is temporarily - it's the ottoman for our living room furniture which is getting replaced next and we'll sell the ottoman with the living room couch. So it isn't staying, but pillows would be a nice touch while it's still there.

Thanks yall for the great ideas so far!
November 4, 2013 at 5:35pm     
KateDecor
It's eclectic and fun to do a collage. I say hit up Goodwill and antique shops for frames that are different and like the other person said.. Pick ones that go with your bedding and furniture. Spray paint is an easy fix too. Have fun with it! Groupings are more interesting in 3's and 5's I heard from an Architect once.
November 4, 2013 at 5:40pm     
megclaffey
3's and 5's, hmm! Good to know! Thanks Kate.
November 4, 2013 at 5:54pm   
Cat Rowe
I like it blank. Add small panels in colour to the window
November 4, 2013 at 6:02pm   
The best idea for family photos anyone ever had:
November 4, 2013 at 6:11pm        Thanked by megclaffey
ellengoulding
Keep your bedroom your sanctuary no family photos - only if they are of you and your other. This is a do as I say remedy but keep clutter off dresser and bureau tops it adds too much confusion to a room dedicated to romance and relaxation and peace and rejuvenation. Think clarity. Love the soothing greens you have going on
November 4, 2013 at 6:15pm     
megclaffey
Love those 3 squares, Groveraxle. I think you found an image that basically represents what I was trying to picture on my wall!
November 4, 2013 at 6:32pm   
HandPainted Wallpaper - Yrmural Studio
Our hand painted wallpaper has always been used in the master bedroom. Maybe this can be a good choice for you.
November 5, 2013 at 3:21am     
mcbriec
Groveraxle's suggestion is perfect! And your bedroom should naturally include whatever makes you happy, not what somebody else thinks should make you happy.
November 5, 2013 at 8:57am        Thanked by megclaffey
Bailey Construction & Landscape Group, Inc
Something else you can do especially with the colors in your room is find branches that are longer outside and paint them to match colors in the room. I did it in my home and it looks awesome and it cost almost nothing.
November 5, 2013 at 11:37am     
megclaffey
Thanks everyone!! Appreciate all the feedback. I think I may try the 3 square look. I'll post an after once it's up!
November 5, 2013 at 1:35pm     
chally
What color is thru on your wall. I am looking for that color for my familyroom
November 5, 2013 at 2:40pm     
Cat Rowe
Latte by a Restoration Hardware is a great neutral! I am really excited for mcbriec! Please share photos when you are finished!
November 5, 2013 at 5:55pm   
megclaffey
Chally - it is Crisp Khaki by Benjamin Moore. It is what we've used throughout the house and its' a great neutral.
November 6, 2013 at 4:27am   
quantumnerd
Well being a follower of Feng Shui, I would look up online your Kua numbers, (google Kua Calculator) and see what type of suggestion for your numbers. Also they have remedy suggestions for sparking more romance. hehe. It's pretty fascinating, and also if you have trouble sleeping they have remedies for that to.
November 6, 2013 at 4:58am   
raymond23
I like some of the industrial style pipe shelving at Restoration Hardware for placing family photos, etc.
November 6, 2013 at 5:49am   
cucina1990
Have you ever considered moving your bed to that blank wall? That would solve your problem with the bare wall and make your bedroom look bigger. When I had ours across the room, it tended to divide the room and make it look smaller and cluttered.
November 6, 2013 at 5:56am     
Carolyn Cavanagh
The idea of moving the bed to the other wall might be a good one. It's hard to tell from the photos.
if this does not work, how about moving the dresser across from the foot, to the blank wall? This is a tough room and your furniture is quite large for it. The mirror above the dresser looks nice to me, perhaps hanging instead of leaning though.
November 6, 2013 at 6:15am   
leelee
Your room is exceptionally nice but it looks crowded with large furniture pieces. Could you move the chest of drawers to another room or even put it in a closet? It looks crammed in the corner. Large ottoman isn't really serving any purpose either.
November 6, 2013 at 6:44am     
leelee
Agree with removing the mirror on the dresser. Instead of using lots of smaller pictures which could make the room look cluttered and busy go with a single large item. Here's a framed stenciled piece that you could create yourself to the size and color you need.
November 6, 2013 at 6:58am     
November 6, 2013 at 7:00am     
okdokegal
That wall is screaming for... I'd go to the color the trim is; then use molding to make a big frame on that wall, a space of some inches of the wall color, another frame, then put four of your pictures inside that, and say pick up the big inner framing with say a dark charcoal drybrushed on. Inner frames in white, and pick up the charcoal in a narrow bit in between each of the inner ones. Use something behind the inner pictures to bring them out a touch. Dramatic and giving the room dimension.

I think with the dresser, lose the big mirror and put a smaller floating mirror, long strip, on that wall. The pictures at the end of the bed, don't cut it. Maybe white the frames or something... just don't like them there. Right now can't think of anything better to put there though.
November 6, 2013 at 7:59am     
srrt
Is the blank wall large enough to put your bed in front of and leave the dresser where it is, or put the dresser between the two windows? Easier to decorate the smaller space between the windows with some pictures.
November 6, 2013 at 8:05am     
sieglerdesign
I love feeling of softness in the room and that seems right for a bedroom. Headboard fabulous. Colors great. Ceiling amazing. Scale of nightstands may be off a tad and need to be higher so nightstand top is level with mattress or slightly higher. The largest item in the room usually becomes the focal point wall so I try to make the focal point wall complete first and foremost and therefore my focus on the nightstand proportion. Sometimes adding a platform or feet can address the issue of correct proportions for side tables and nightstands. I assume you are fine with art over headboard so I will address blank wall per your request for ideas. My perception based on the pictures is that the room feels full. As you add more and more items to a room that are contrasting there is more and more for your eye to take in. In order to not TAKE AWAY from the lovely restful feeling you created so far I would go with frame finishes and subject matter on the "quiet" and soft side. Look at gray washed and driftwood, natural type finishes and do not worry about matching existing dark woods of room. For subject matter I'd keep it simple too, and have like a series of 4 of a kind. Frames should have dimension and power but, in a quiet kind of way. So, bottom line from me is make sure headboard (focal point wall) remains the strongest visual wall in the room and then make the blank wall visually interesting to you but NOT high contrast but, subtle frame finishes in a cohesive composition on the wall that feels anchoring and unified. In other words not freeform and busy. Leave that approach for more "active rooms" of the home. The bedroom is your sanctuary and it must be treated as sacred space. Please write to me and let me know your thoughts about what I have said? Thank you for a glimpse of your lovely space.
November 6, 2013 at 8:31am        Thanked by megclaffey
megclaffey
Carolyn - There isn't room at the foot of the bed for the dresser. The mirror is actually bolted to the dresser itself. Never thought about moving the bed to that one. (My husband will kill me - it weights about 200 lbs...). One concern would be that the 2 windows that flank the bed actually go all the way down to the floor (which you can't see right now with the nightstands.) I'm thinking the new blank wall (between the windows) would be even more obvious to the eye than the current blank wall with that arrangement. What do you think?

Leelee - the ottoman/bench is not staying. It's the matching ottoman to our current family room set which we'e already replaced and are just waiting for the new ones to arrival. A family member is taking old couch and the ottoman with it once they do. I totally agree it is too much for the room.

Siegler designs - thanks for the good thoughts. You may a valid point that if I'm going to add without subtracting that it should remain soft so as not to add (visual) clutter. Definitely a good thing to think about with frames or colors in the print. Thank you!
November 6, 2013 at 10:22am   
anne dee
A "staggered" arrangement as suggested in the reference pic
Kewamee

1 piece of colorful art that complements the bedroom
Leaside Master Bedroom

another consideration
City: Schofield Residence

a mirror might be another consideration
Minnesota Residence
November 6, 2013 at 10:35am     
travisinteriors
Add a mural on that wall. There are many to choose from google murals.
November 6, 2013 at 10:40am   
Carolyn Cavanagh
hmmm, what if you leave the bed where it is, but enhance the windows by adding floor to ceiling drapes? for drama you could even have a middle drape behind the headboard. The ceiling you have looks so lovely, why not draw eyes upward to make the most of that element. you can hang a chandelier too (not sure what's up there now) and hang it low enough to see well.
It all depends on your personal style what kind of drapes and chandelier. And you don't have to spend a whole lot on either of those items. As for that blank wall you are pondering.... if you make the head board wall more dramatic, you may not feel the need to do as much to that wall. Perhaps use a collage of all your nice photos there. Or add a couple of ledges with accessories. Or how about a fireplace mantel with candles? Sounds kinda romantic to me :)
Maybe you could "unbolt" the mirror above the dresser and hang it a little higher? I guess my thought was to help bring the eye up a bit. Add more interest with different heights in things. Right now (in the pictures anyway) everything seems to be in mid-range. You have a lovely room! I hope you keep us posted as to any changes you make. Would love to see what you come up with. Good luck!
November 6, 2013 at 11:12am     
Carolyn Cavanagh
Here is a visual for you. I know it is a really different style from your room, but maybe it will give you ideas as to the windows and chandelier idea. Just a thought.
November 6, 2013 at 11:20am     
CMYfabriK
Hello! I agree with cucina1990 about moving the bed to that wall. It'd open up the space and you could move the longer dresser to the space between the windows. You'd most likely have the space to put the ottoman at the foot of the bed that way. Also ellengoulding is on the right track, keep your bedroom child free and keep it romantic by having pics of your and your significant other. The living room space is where you can fill the walls with the pics of the whole family.
November 6, 2013 at 1:43pm     
cucina1990
Just a suggestion...Get those silicon sliders and put them under the bed and dresser etc, and try various arrangements. My husband and I have moved a filled china cabinet and a grand piano using these with virtually no effort.
November 6, 2013 at 2:10pm     
cjohnston
I'm very curious about something a couple posters have said. Is it really a design principle that bedrooms should not contain pictures of one's children? I don't understand this.

megclaffey, I really like anne dee's 3rd pic (Shofield). It has visual interest but not high contrast. You could start with this year's pictures and add more over the years.
November 6, 2013 at 2:34pm     
Bravehart Building
I love the colours in your room! So soft. If you want to emphasize softeness in a bedroom, and, if you want versatility in the room, put photos/art/mirrors in a pattern on the wall and then also add drapes in a soft, fuzzy, comfy, solid colour to match the walls.
Pull the drapes fully closed over the art/mirrors at night when you want a cozy feeling (so no glare kicks from light in the room off the glass on pictures) - and- when you want the room to feel softly monochromatic.

We have used the 'drape wall' trick in client's homes - to 'frame' or 'hide' the art or photos!
So clients can have 2 looks for the price of 1!

Perhaps it sounds crazy to hide art, photos or mirrors but sometimes you just want your eyes to have a long rest and go to sleep in a softly, textured wall; muffles sound too.

Have drapes made to a open at centre and have gentle roll pleats for best results.
November 6, 2013 at 2:37pm   
LB Interiors
I would find another wall in your home for a collage of family photos. You will see them more often during a day and your guests and family can enjoy them too. I would use some restful artwork on the wall in the bedroom. Something that speaks to you that makes you 'sigh'.
November 6, 2013 at 3:10pm   
Appleton Art Design, LLC
I suggest just one piece of artwork on that wall. As for its width, it should start at the corner of the bedside table, and then not go beyond the foot of the bed. As for its height, it need only go as high as the top of the window and should not go below the height of the bed. One piece of artwork, within these dimensions, will create a nice focal point that also optimizes the size of the room.
November 6, 2013 at 3:46pm     
Appleton Art Design, LLC
Also, the piece above your bed may look better over the highboy.
November 6, 2013 at 3:50pm     
Don't move the bed! It is opposite the door which is optimal placement for secure, restful sleep. The dresser is crowded into the door and passageway into the room, so I would move it to the wall you're concerned with. Un-bolt the mirror and instead hang a round mirror with a metallic frame. Silver might go with the green. A large, important piece of art that you love should go on the wall where the dresser was, and if you need a spot to sit and put on shoes, you could add a slender upholstered bench there. I'd remove all the family photos/portraits to the hallway so they could be perused by guests who may wander the hall but not enter your boudoire. The stars of this room should be the bed, its wall and windows and the tray ceiling. If you'll focus there you'll have a lovely, soothing and almost glamorous bedroom. Go back to Ben Moore and pick up the paint strip card for Crisp Khaki to work multiple shades of it into your ceiling, adding more trim as suggested.
November 6, 2013 at 4:02pm     
sieglerdesign
Another suggestion to contribute to ambiance of softness and quiet is to check out a local stone source for "remnant" pieces of marble or granite in a light pretty coloration and have them cut to fit the top of the nightstands. This does several things. It adds richness, protects a surface that has water glasses and adds to the colorization softness of the bedding and walls if you can find the right material. Now I'm ready to see subtle frames colors on the wall in gray washed, whitewashed, driftwood, naturalistic wood tones etc... Focus on texture and dimension and minimize any more light and dark contrast in the room.
November 6, 2013 at 10:26pm   
Super Organizing Solutions
Move the dresser to that blank wall. It is blocking the visual path in it's current spot right by the door.
November 8, 2013 at 3:47pm   
nmaclaren
Wall Decals can fill up some space https://www.etsy.com/shop/StickersForWall
November 8, 2013 at 4:06pm   
sieglerdesign
Will you post your solution once you are there? Thanks!
November 12, 2013 at 5:05pm     
megclaffey
I certainly will! All the feedback was helpful! (Although, hate to disappoint anyone who wanted to see the furniture moved - there won't be anything as dramatic as that happening.) My husband liked the gallery wall idea best and I liked the 3 square frames that groveraxle had shared a pic of earlier on so right now I have wrapping paper in different sizes taped up on the wall to see how I feel about one arrangement vs the others. I know at the end of the day it's just holes in the wall and can be easily changed if I don't like it! :) Thanks everyone for all the helpful feedback.
November 12, 2013 at 5:42pm     
sieglerdesign
Mock it up! Perfect. 3 in row., , , keeping it serene. Fun project. Thanks for posting!.
November 12, 2013 at 5:55pm   
LB Interiors
Can be custom order in a triptych any size

November 12, 2013 at 6:28pm   
Big blank bedroom wall
My master bedroom has a very large wall opposite the...
Help - blank bedroom walls!
Hello, I have a very very small 1 bed flat which I...
blank slate,,,, master bedroom suite
18' x 18'.room.....need to figure out floor plan for...
Blank canvas bedroom
I need help pulling my bedroom together. It's a blank...
Blank-slate bedroom- What to do?
I haven't moved into this place yet, so we have the...
Light Fixture for Foyer
We are redoing our front entrance. It is a 1930s style...
Help!!! Do the striped work with the rug? Suggestions??
Trying to pull this room together. Open to any suggestions!...
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Fireplace, mantel advice
I'm looking for ideas on what to do with our fireplace...
Wallpaper choice
True-to-life images of a living room. Same floor plan...