Decorate this entire room
slate5
November 5, 2013
This is a small living room that is mostly used to hold the Christmas tree and not much else. (Tree is placed by the stairs.) I would like to redecorate the whole room...new sofas, lamps, etc but I don't know where to start. I need the most help with window treatments. I also struggle with artwork for the large wall. The only thing that must stay is the rug. I also can't repaint easily because it is an open floor plan. I would love ideas!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
The overall look of the room is fine, perhaps update the lamps and additional art work that compliments the one currently there.
    Bookmark   Thanked by slate5    November 5, 2013 at 9:03AM
decoenthusiaste
Your ideabooks all look to be very creamy neutral. Pick one and go for it. If you fear changing paint colors, do you know the current color? Can you obtain the color strip card it came from? I'd advise using the card and working the colors on it throughout your space. Dark tones can go in naturally well lighted rooms; mid-tones in average lighted rooms, lighter shades in halls, closets, baths, and the lightest shade on ceilings (perhaps cut 50% with white.) Do floor to ceiling stationary drapery panels with fabric or fiber roman shades underneath. If there is the possibility of moving the rug to a bedroom, you might start with another rug to anchor the space and the palette. This one would be beautiful pulled half way under a bed. If you decide on a sectional, I strongly advise no chaise, just two equal wings. Consider an apartment sized one for this space. My favorite and easy to arrange furniture selection is always a sofa (not sectional) and two chairs. Since there is no TV here, you can do club, arm or accent chairs. If you're adding TV, swivel chairs may be the ticket.
    Bookmark   Thanked by slate5    November 5, 2013 at 9:04AM
apple_pie_order
It's a nice space with good windows and a versatile rug. What is your motivation for redecorating? Will your use change?

I'd remove the pelmets and put in a single long curtain rod at the ceiling level. Add floor length stationary panels. A classic arabesque or ikat would be a good choice in gray/green/ whatever that paint color really is. Take a paint stick coated with the two paint colors and several closeup photos of the rug (taken in daylight with the lights on) with you to the store. Keep the shades. Replace the torchiere and the table lamp with some thing new that fits your taste (try a Lamps Plus store). If you like the painting, get it reframed in a substantial black frame, the gilt is not working well.

Consider adding a stylish or classic coffee table. I assume the reading light is practical and staying for that reason.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by slate5    November 5, 2013 at 9:06AM
slate5
Thanks for the feedback! I just feel like I've ignored the room for a long time because I don't know why it's not working for me. It's the first room you see when you walk in the house, but it's not really inviting. It's a great place to read because it is away from the TV. My husband likes the sofas, but I am tired of the color of them.
    Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 9:35AM