Help with master bathroom layout
magszilla
November 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a bathroom that is in desperate need of updating and perhaps a reconfiguration. Our requirements are to have double sinks, an updated look and a tub (since this is the only bathroom that can fit a tub). My husband and I are bouncing around a couple of ideas:

Option #1
Leave the configuration as-is, just demo and update the bathroom and add double sinks to the vanity. Purchase a tub that is shorter so it allows more space for the toilet to move over towards the tub, thus, allowing more space for us to squeeze into the other side of the sink. Still a tight fit for the person to access the sink next to the toilet.

Option #2
Close off the door to the master bedroom (losing the master suite) and place the tub flush against the wall of the window. That way we can extend the closet to make one single larger closet space and also gain more wall space to reconfigure the bathroom.

Option #3
Close off the door from the hallway and place the tub against that wall. The cons I can think of is the other bedroom cannot access the bathroom unless they go in from the master. The other bathroom is all the way across the other side of the house.

We are going to live in this house at least for 5 years (perhaps much more longer), but we are also looking at which option would give us a better resale value of the house in the future. Would it be a bad idea to lose the master suite or would people prefer a larger closet over a master suite?

I've attached a floorplan and a photo of the current bathroom. Any ideas would be truly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
If the drawing is drawn to scale, it would be wise to expand the bathroom into bedroom / office instead of closing off access from the Master Bedroom.
0 Likes   Thanked by magszilla    November 5, 2013 at 10:52AM
PRO
magszilla
That's an interesting idea, I never thought of that! How would you configure the bathroom if it is expanded into the Bedroom/Office? It sounds like it's rather important to keep the door into the master bedroom?

Also, a technical note, there's an AC intake vent below the linen closet, so in order to expand in there, that vent needs to be relocated.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 11:04AM
PRO
magszilla
Any other input, anyone?
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 10:20AM
PRO
Adrian J. Naquin Interior Design L.L.C.
I like Dytecture idea - consider moving the vanity to the master bedrm closet and build a new closet on the hallway wall of bedrm ( leaving rm for door) - buildin flanking storage on old vanity wall with window seat centered under window
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 10:33AM