Help with master bathroom layout
magszilla
We have a bathroom that is in desperate need of updating and perhaps a reconfiguration. Our requirements are to have double sinks, an updated look and a tub (since this is the only bathroom that can fit a tub). My husband and I are bouncing around a couple of ideas:

Option #1
Leave the configuration as-is, just demo and update the bathroom and add double sinks to the vanity. Purchase a tub that is shorter so it allows more space for the toilet to move over towards the tub, thus, allowing more space for us to squeeze into the other side of the sink. Still a tight fit for the person to access the sink next to the toilet.

Option #2
Close off the door to the master bedroom (losing the master suite) and place the tub flush against the wall of the window. That way we can extend the closet to make one single larger closet space and also gain more wall space to reconfigure the bathroom.

Option #3
Close off the door from the hallway and place the tub against that wall. The cons I can think of is the other bedroom cannot access the bathroom unless they go in from the master. The other bathroom is all the way across the other side of the house.

We are going to live in this house at least for 5 years (perhaps much more longer), but we are also looking at which option would give us a better resale value of the house in the future. Would it be a bad idea to lose the master suite or would people prefer a larger closet over a master suite?

I've attached a floorplan and a photo of the current bathroom. Any ideas would be truly appreciated!
If the drawing is drawn to scale, it would be wise to expand the bathroom into bedroom / office instead of closing off access from the Master Bedroom.
0 Likes   Thanked by magszilla    November 5, 2013 at 10:52AM
magszilla
That's an interesting idea, I never thought of that! How would you configure the bathroom if it is expanded into the Bedroom/Office? It sounds like it's rather important to keep the door into the master bedroom?

Also, a technical note, there's an AC intake vent below the linen closet, so in order to expand in there, that vent needs to be relocated.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 11:04AM
magszilla
Any other input, anyone?
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 10:20AM
Adrian J. Naquin Interior Design L.L.C.
I like Dytecture idea - consider moving the vanity to the master bedrm closet and build a new closet on the hallway wall of bedrm ( leaving rm for door) - buildin flanking storage on old vanity wall with window seat centered under window
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 10:33AM
Need help with master bathroom layout!
My husband and I just bought a home built in the 70's,...
mshutterbug
Layout for master bathroom / bath - help!
would love ideas on layout to renovate my master bath....
Mary Chieppor
Help with Small Master Bathroom Layout!
My husband and I currently live in a small house that...
Jessica Davis
need help for master bathroom layout
need private toilet area, soaking tub, large shower,...
Shaynis Connor
Help with master bathroom/closet layout
Originally, we walked right into the master bathroom...
Tina W
Dark Bedroom that faces the North with no Light.
It looks bright and i have not done any redecorating...
jmk578
Keep the tub or remove?
I will be putting in a shower should I keep the tub...
slh0303
Central pendants dilemma
Here's a very good example of our interior design approach...
VANGUARD development
Need help for my living room in my apartment
Hello I need help choosing paints for my living room....
rgreen04
Omg I just bought a couch and I want to return it but can't. Help me m
Room is across from kitchen at the entrance of the...
minnows