Paint choice for master bedroom
Mary Metzler
Please help me choose a paint color for master bedroom. I am deciding between BM Revere Pewter and Monroe Bisque but am open to any other suggestions. My husband wants to paint tomorrow so I am feeling the pressure! The floors have just been stained dark walnut and the furniture is dark. Attached is picture of armoire which has matching pieces ( did not know any better 15 years ago). I am feeling overwhelmed making this choice because we are refinishing the floors on the stairs and first level and wondering rather to change the colors there to a gray also. The hallway upstairs and living room are BM Powell Buff and the Dining Room is Wilmington Tan. Any suggestions would help.
dclostboy
Go with the revere pewter and enjoy buying some luxurious bed linens...you deserve it.
November 5, 2013 at 2:05PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
leelee
Better get that tape off your furniture ASAP if you haven't already. Could damage finish.
November 5, 2013 at 2:19PM      Thanked by Mary Metzler
leelee
One other suggestion, move that little table that's next to the fireplace. Find a better spot maybe in foyer.
November 5, 2013 at 2:22PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
solincia
Have you picked out bedding yet? Typically I'd start there. Revere Pewter is a great color, painted my foyer with it, and would go well with just about anything.
November 5, 2013 at 2:24PM      Thanked by Mary Metzler
leelee
The gray will look very nice with the tones in your wood furniture.
November 5, 2013 at 2:25PM      Thanked by Mary Metzler
bethmyers100
I agree with solincia that it is typically easiest to start with bedding, but if you need to land on a paint color right away, I'd go gray. I am sure that you can find beautiful bedding that will work.
November 5, 2013 at 2:40PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
chally
What color is that in your living room. I am looking for a beige or tan color for my family room
November 5, 2013 at 2:48PM      Thanked by Mary Metzler
All Trades Contracting, Inc
The pewter is more daring and the Monroe Bisque is safer, easier to decorate with, but very typical looking. Two different looks. I agree, start with your fabrics, comforter and then the paint. Which ever you choose, I'd paint the ceiling flat white and make the trim, doors, windows and especially the crown trim an off white so it shows up better and looks "more" decorated. We use SW Dover White or you could go even deeper on the trim. (Also, would love to see some recessed lights in the corners of the room and maybe two over the pillow area.) Love your floor color!
November 5, 2013 at 2:51PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
Mary Metzler
Thanks so much! Floor stain decision kept me up all night! I wish I had time to look for fabrics first but my husband wants to paint before moving all the furniture back. The woodwork and doors are painted Bm White Dove. I hope this will work ok with the Revere Pewter. Also, is it okay if I paint the boys room down hall same color or would you change it up?
November 5, 2013 at 3:22PM   
KCR Interiors LLC
I like Revere Pewter and your white trim will work well. I'd like to see you bring bedding and accessories in shades of yellow, gray and white or purple, gray, and white. Either color will be beautiful with your paint colors. Good luck!
November 5, 2013 at 4:25PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
Piff
I think Revere Pewter is a little bit more current and will keep your classic finishings looking fresh.
November 5, 2013 at 4:28PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
solincia
Since I mentioned my foyer is Revere Pewter, I too painted my trim White Dove. It's a lovely combination.
November 5, 2013 at 5:21PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
selma b. sherman/interiors
The paint color for your master bedroom should be tranquil and calming. A good choice with your wood colors is Benjamin Moore Hot Spring Stones.
November 5, 2013 at 5:35PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
Large room, white woodwork, and lots of neutrals in the rest of the house.

My vote is BM Stratton blue. Bring the other neutrals in the house to the bedroom in either bedding or drapes.
Stratton Blue HC-142 by Benjamin Moore
Master Bedroom Designs. Traditional Bedroom Designs
November 5, 2013 at 5:39PM     
Colorific
Hi Mary -

I'm a professional color consultant, and I want to share 2 questions that are part of my consultation with clients: I ask them first the "function" of each room they want painted, (well we all understand the function of a bedroom) - but second, I ask them "how do you want to FEEL in this room" -- you'd be surprised at all the different answers. Yes, everyone's kitchen or bedroom "functions" in similar ways, but how people want to "feel" in particular room is dependent upon many factors.

Everyone is different, and everyone's response to different colors is uniquely their own.

So, now you have two colors that you like. So my advice is -- try to stop thinking, take a deep breath, and go with your gut. I want to assert that you actually have an instinct for which color you prefer, but there are so many ideas and thoughts muddying the waters, so to speak. The trick is to quiet all the "chatter" and get to a place that is a little calmer, and pick the one that fits how you want to feel when you first step into your new bedroom. Try to not think about every TV show, or advice from friends and family.

I believe you already know the answer! Now you just have to get to a quiet place to be able to hear that answer. I know you can do it - you just have to have faith in yourself.

Good luck, and have fun - Christina
November 5, 2013 at 6:11PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
Mary Metzler
Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. I will look at BM Hot Spring Stones also. I am not familiar with that color. My head is spinning trying to make the decisions on the paint colors. We just had the upstairs floors refinished and have decided to paint all 3 bedrooms. The stairs and the main level floors are next. (dark walnut). All the trim in the house is painted BM Dove White. I was thinking of BM November Rain for my 2 daughters shared bedroom and adding color in the bedding. My 4 sons share a room and I was also thinking of Revere Pewter for that room. I am also attaching a picture of stairs and hallway and wondering if I should change the paint to Revere Pewter after floors are finished. Am I painting too many rooms the same color? I was thinking of the Revere Pewter for the Master Bedroom. I am sorry I am all over the place with so many decisions to make. Please help!
November 5, 2013 at 6:13PM   
Mary Metzler
Thank you Christina! I appreciate the great advice. I wil try to get to that quiet place and make a decision. It is diificult to find that quiet place with 6 kids!
November 5, 2013 at 7:53PM     
cmcole1121
Revere Pewter is a great color, however, it can look different depending on the lighting. so you should paint it on a piece of poster board and see how it looks in the light of each room based on the lighting. we almost used it in our living room but found it was a little darker than we wanted as we have little natural light. we ended up using Edgecomb gray instead and love it. also white dove is a great color for trim (i have it throughout my house). good luck - i understand stressing out over picking the right color :-).
November 5, 2013 at 8:15PM      Thanked by Mary Metzler
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Mary, one reason you're having trouble is because you don't have any inspiration items to guide you. In the future, try to select at least one or two decor items (rug, art, lamp, pillow) and build your color scheme from there. That said, Revere Pewter is a pretty safe choice. However, if those random patches in the photo are your test colors - then that's the other reason for your confusion. It looks like a bunch of different colors (most of them not covering properly) swiped on little areas, right next to each other. My standard advice is to paint large 3 x 3 sections, with plenty of breathing room between them. Otherwise you are just comparing the test colors to each other, instead of visualizing them as the new all-over color. It's fine to switch from gold-based neutrals on one floor to grays on another, if you want to keep your downstairs palette.
November 5, 2013 at 11:44PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
Rachelle Plantagenet
I love the blue that iamjudy suggested, however, i read about a study which showed that couples with caramel coloured bedroom walls (or caramel feature wall) had the most sex! Lol - its all personal taste really ;) Goodluck.
November 6, 2013 at 5:22AM   
prt13
Mary - what I don't see here are colour swatches- when painting any room I use 1/2 file folder covers taped to the wall to decide whether I like that colour in that light (nice to have later when buying fabric/bedding/et al)
November 6, 2013 at 7:31AM      Thanked by Mary Metzler
libratravel
Go with Edgecomb Gray. It is trendy...classic and neutral all at once! Stop obsessing and enjoy the finished product! It's a great color~!
November 6, 2013 at 7:38AM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
chicomctavish
I totally agree with libratravel..go with the Edgecomb Gray!!
November 6, 2013 at 1:26PM        Thanked by Mary Metzler
vweikle
I used BM Museum Piece it is a grey beige. In my open concept livingroom and kitchen it is a nice nuetral color. I used Silver Mist in the master bedroom it is a very light grey blue.
November 6, 2013 at 2:10PM      Thanked by Mary Metzler
Mary Metzler
Thanks for the advice everyone. I did not realize picking out paint colors can be so stressful! The master bedroom has 3 large windows and a glass door. Do you think the Edgecomb Gray would be too light? I am considering using that color up the stairs and in the hallway. I am thinking of tryinggoing to get my husband to paint the Revere Pewter in our 4 sons room ( the barracks) first to see how I like it.
November 7, 2013 at 4:53AM   
1mac2
When choosing a color I try to think of a landscape. I have fawn (Martha Stewart) in the foyer continuing into the family room with a deep grey/blue in the living room with white dove trim throughout. The master is next to the family room so I chose Ralph Lauren vemeer which is a blue/green with impressionist (another Ralph color) for the bathroom.
November 7, 2013 at 5:01AM      Thanked by Mary Metzler
hirshy18
BM Quiet Moments is an awesome blue/gray/green color. We had painted both our living room with dark wood and our bedroom with white trim this color and it was beautiful with both. Close to Stratton Blue but a little lighter and a little "vague" - color changes- not a definite blue or gray.
November 7, 2013 at 5:02AM      Thanked by Mary Metzler
cmcole1121
I don't think Edgecomb would be too light - but you should check with a sample in your lighting. I have it in my LR and love it
November 9, 2013 at 12:28PM   
Laurence Tillett
I have Edgecomb Gray is my great room, kitchen and den. It's such a versatile color...it's a great canvas for any other colors! Just LOVE it!!
November 9, 2013 at 12:51PM   
howellmsue
I think Monroe Bisque comes across as a peachy beige at times..... personally, I have used it and it is not my favorite color.
November 9, 2013 at 1:30PM     
pattikee
I uses Revere Pewter in my master bedroom.
November 17, 2013 at 6:24PM   
Advice on best paint choices for master bedroom
Am wanting to paint our bedroom and master bath with...
Color choices for master bedroom
I'm reprinting my master bedroom. Attached bathroom...
Master bedroom color choice to fade oak furniture to background
I would like to redo our master but we're stuck with...
Help for my master bedroom color choices for bedding
We have a contemporary condo that we have just finished....
Is this a good rug choice for a master bedroom?
We just put in wood flooring in our master bedroom...
Update my colonial
I want to update my colonial to make it more transitional...
What to do with wall space next to bar counter
I thought I would do floating shelves but now I am...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
What decorations should I put on the blue wall
This is a panoramic picture of my bedroom as well as...
Need to hide my neighbors fence
Hi I need help to hide my neighbors fence. Every time...