Has anyone out there tried the concrete stain on their basement floors
houseatthelake
Have been wanting to do the concrete stain on my basement floors for quite a few years now. I am wondering if I have to sand and if so does the machine create a lot of dust. My floors will need something to get odd paint drips etc. off. ( 17 year old concrete) Know they have to be prepared in order to take the stain. Then I could seal it and be able to clean them, as is any spills just go right into the concrete. Do not want to put carpet down. Too hard to keep clean.
Ekhaya Designs
Yes, I have a concrete staining company. One you need to find out if you concrete is currently sealed or not. How much paint are we talking about in the floors? Figure out if you want your concrete acid or water base stained. The type of staining you want will determine what type of prep you will need to do before staining. Once the floors are done you will be happy they are so easy to care for. These are pictures from an acid stained basement I did a couple of weeks ago.
November 5, 2013 at 9:33pm      Thanked by houseatthelake
houseatthelake
Hi! Ekhaya Designs. Thanks for the response. My floors just have the odd paint drip here and there.. I am a little confused about the concrete stain. So do I have to acid etch the floor if I am using acid stain? Or can the floor be sanded and then acid stained? I would much rather sand than apply acid and then wash it all off. What is the easiest method? Wanting a dark brown color. I read that you can apply 1 or 2 coats of stain. The acid part scares me!
November 6, 2013 at 3:12pm   
Ekhaya Designs
Lets do acid staining 101. Your concrete is made of all these great thing they put together when making concrete. The main difference between acid and H2O stain is with acid stain your floor color will have variations of colors based on the reaction of acid to your concrete.
H2O stain the color does not have variation. The best way to explain it is: the color you see will be what you get (kind of like paint)
Some acid stains require etching and some don't. You will find that information on the container of the product you are using.
Paint can be removed with an industrial paint remover.
The pictures I sent you before are an example of acid stain. If you look at my concrete idea book you should be able to tell right away the difference between acid and H2O stains or on my website at ekhayadesigns.com. I don't want to give you too much information to the point that you become overwhelmed.
November 6, 2013 at 8:34pm   
Ekhaya Designs
Oh yeah, when staining always start light and add more stain if needed. You can start light and add color but can not start dark and go lighter. The color is permanent which is a great benefit than using paint.
November 6, 2013 at 8:37pm      Thanked by houseatthelake
houseatthelake
So what prep would I have to do for my floor for water based stain and what type of sealer?
November 7, 2013 at 10:11am   
Ekhaya Designs
Remove the paint. Use a floor machine to sand the floors. Wash the floors with water (no soap) Cover your walls before applying the stain.
Some sealers are matte others are glossy. The glossy ones requires more skill to apply (example epoxy) Your easiest sealer to apply would be an indoor water base sealer. After Applying sealer follow with floor finish. Apply up to 3 coats of floor finish. This will give extra protection.
November 7, 2013 at 4:46pm      Thanked by houseatthelake
Need Help With My Kitchen
I am about to update my kitchen and need your advise....
Kitchen Island Decor
I have a large island in my kitchen and am struggling...
Need Ideas for Dining Room
Looking for ideas to finish off my dining room. We...
Which wood floor should I choose?
We are painting our den paneling Bleeker Beige by Ben...
Height of bed in relation to night tables???
We recently purchased a new bedroom set and I am not...