What to do with walls in small great room.
puds
We don't know how to make the room more complete in this small great room. We love the painting above the fire place which was designed for a TV and we refuse to have on in the room. We have other pictures but do each of the sides of the fireplace have to be balanced? We already have matching chairs each side. Bookcases behind the chairs push the chars in too much and make the room to small. Room is 10 x 15 feet.
How about painting the walls on either side of the fireplace an accent color? Then toss pillow for the furniture to coordinate?

November 5, 2013 at 9:33pm     
puds
Thanks Darcy. The fireplace wall is a different colour, a green with beige walls. I see from your picture the separation using the fireplace section as the neutral but I also notice similar wall decorations on each side.
November 5, 2013 at 9:49pm   
I could see a round starburst mirror in the center of the FP, then coordinating art on each side of the fireplace. The accent pillows for the furniture can come from the art.
November 5, 2013 at 10:05pm     
Here are sample photos, except the art will be symmetrical and complementary on both sides of the fireplace.
Trickett Living Room
Spinnaker Development
November 5, 2013 at 10:09pm        Thanked by puds
studio10001
Balanced, yes, but not necessarily symmetrical. I think your artwork could extend beyond the niche border. You might also consider adding a wall sconce to one side and a floor lamp to the other. I've chosen black examples , to give more of a presence against the medium tones of the room.
November 5, 2013 at 10:10pm   
joypratt
What is the art you have? A landscape? I can't really see what is in the painting.
November 5, 2013 at 10:12pm      Thanked by puds
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
I like Darzy's thought, and another option would be to reverse that configuration - place round/starburst mirrors on either side, with art in the middle. Personally I think an unframed canvas with bolder color, that's oriented vertically, would sit better in that space. In any case, whatever is in the center needs to be "strong" so as to be a focal point. And maybe the fireplace painting could be re-located to the seating area on the right?
November 5, 2013 at 10:16pm        Thanked by puds
Carmel Decor
How about bringing in a beautiful plant, an area rug and coordinating pillows
November 5, 2013 at 10:18pm      Thanked by puds
puds
These are wonderful ideas and it helped me to see the room differently. Going out to look for something strong and more vibrant for over the fireplace, centred, which has a 2 feet recess over it and will look at art coordinating for sides or lamps to balance the sides. The plant would add life but may not live if I have to look after it! Will send pictures when I finish.
November 7, 2013 at 8:19am     
Family Room (Starting Over)
I'm starting over. I need suggestions on accessorizing....
I feel like something is missing.... Need some help!
I feel feel like this bedroom is missing something!...
Help for barstool choice
Building a rustic looking bar area with stone and wood....
Horizontal vs. vertical stair rails?
Hey everyone! So my husband and I are about to buy...