Adding a separate kids room to our existing house
steelskies
November 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am adding a "grandchildren's" room onto my living room, about 15 x 20'. We live on a farm, and my regular living/dining room is just a mess,my husband has all his paperwork in boxes in this room, it needs a new rug,2 dogs live in it, etc. I need a separate area for my grandkids that will stay clean, uncluttered and kid-friendly. I also envision it as being a place to invite people over for cards etc. What do I need to include in this room. It will have a separate entrance. And what kind of kid safe window treatments should I look into? I want a lot of windows. Thanks for any suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
unwantedadvice
Of course you will need tons of storage for the new room. Some open shelving as well as closed door storage. I would look on IKEA's website for ideas that you can incorporate using products that you can find locally. So many great ideas for storage from IKEA.

If you want a lot of windows, built-in window seating would also be a good idea, there can be storage in those as well. Comfy cushions on top and it's a nice spot for the children to look outside and/or read.

If there are sleep overs, you could use inexpensive futons or pull-out sleepers, or even blow-up beds. Lots of choices there. Curtains, I am not so sure on, not a specialty of mine. Hopefully others will help you with that issue. You don't want any cords hanging from shades, etc. have fun!
November 6, 2013 at 10:57AM      Thanked by steelskies
steelskies
Thank you for that advise. I am terrible about stuff like this. I need all the help I can get. I need ideas about furnishings. Please anyone else, chime in. I would greatly appreciate it. My contractor suggests french doors connecting my LR to the "new room", but with grandchildren around, would this be the best option.
November 8, 2013 at 10:49AM   
unwantedadvice
As I am reading your last comment about French doors(only if glass was tempered;that is costly), how about a double or single pocket door, they make them with glass as well. Still not sure about the glass and kids, though. I would be a nervous wreck with glass in a door with my two grandsons, especially my youngest, he is like a Tasmanian Devil, like the one in the cartoons!
November 8, 2013 at 11:17AM   
steelskies
That's what I was thinking......glass, babies, hitting things (like glass doors). maybe glass on he top where the kids can't reach. I do want the light to come into the LR from this kids room though. Our LR is kinda dark anyway. We have pocket doors in our house, and one of them if brokien and no one knows how to fix it.
November 8, 2013 at 1:25PM