Advice for remodel
Jan Zimmerman
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons to hiring a General Contractor for a house remodel/update?
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
Generally speaking: it gets done better but only seems like it costs more.

In any project, you either pay for the benefits of the GC's experience to get it done well and smoothly or you pay for the results of your mistakes.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jan Zimmerman    November 6, 2013 at 9:02AM
CertaPro Painters of Colorado Springs
If you want to be involved in all aspects of the project and have the time and willingness to deal with all the sub contractors, then you may want to take on te project manangement. If you don't have the time or willingness to deal with all aspects of the project, its better to work with a professional.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jan Zimmerman    November 13, 2013 at 10:25AM
sunnydrew
A General Contractor will typically charge 15% of all expenses he oversees for work/labor/materials. So your $10,000 remodel will add $2500.00 for example. You will have that one person to address all of your concerns and he will be responsible for his "trades" to do their work properly- plumbers, electricians etc. He will usually procure permits when needed for you. You should not just rely on him doing all this but be proactive and be sure. If he does not pay the people he brings in, they can come after you, even placing a lien on your property. You want to be sure of the person you hire for GC. get lots of good references and communicate with him about the entire project before starting. You may be required to give him installments of the cost of the job. Do your homework so there are no surprises later. Do you have anyone you can talk with more about this subject that has done a remodel. the axiom is it always takes longer and costs more than you think it will. Do you watch any HGTV? there are lots of programs about this topic. Good luck.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jan Zimmerman    November 13, 2013 at 10:44AM
Ed
Hi Jan, all nice comments so far. I recently went through a very big remodel, my very first, and it took over 1 year. I'm very happy with the results, with my GC and all his sub contractors. If you find good GCs with 20-30+ years of experience, they will also know sub contractors that they have worked with for many years. If you are new to house remodel/update, and you do it all by yourself, then you will need to choose each sub contractor by yourself. Word of mouth and references are very important. Also, before you decide on a GC, ask to see if you can see their previous, on-going, or finished projects, and ask for references, the more the better. Good luck ! Please keep us updated with your progress. :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jan Zimmerman    November 13, 2013 at 1:34PM
Jan Zimmerman
Thanks for all the input here. I have been talking with several friends where I live and I now have the names of a couple of GC in my area. So..after we close on the home we are purchasing in a few weeks, we will make a decision.
    Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 2:21PM
Ed
Hi Jan, Good luck with closing escrow and congrats on your new home ! BTW, 15% of $10,000 is $1,500, not $2,500 -- that would be 25%. :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jan Zimmerman    November 13, 2013 at 11:28PM
sunnydrew
Hi Jan- and Ed- I apologize for my math typo. I realized it after I posted... and left the house! If I can't figure out 15%, I need more than a GC!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jan Zimmerman    November 14, 2013 at 7:19AM
Ed
Hi Ikdrew, no problem ! I do it all the time. :)
    Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 1:52PM
Need landscape advice for remodel
We recently renovated entire home located in central...
pgillian
Need advice on remodeling regret
Hi Houzzers- I strive to make sure my clients have...
Dishington Construction inc.
Need advice for new remodeling floor plan
We recently bought a 60 years old house (2000sqft),...
ziggyshome
Need advice for remodeling awkward space!
I know one thing I want to do is remove the shutters...
janetjtx
Design Advice - Exterior Remodel
We love modern/contemporary, greys, cedar, metals......
Emily Pel
Spice rack inside pantry door
What should the depth/ width of a pantry door in mm...
shiprag75
Sitting room lighting
Hi, I'm looking for ideas for lighting for our sitting...
brynna2112
Anyone have creative ideas for my bare wall with thermostat in center?
This hallway wall leads from our front door to our...
jtrumper
Need help with my bathroom!!
I have a vintage blue tile bathroom in my new home....
Tahani Batista
Really need help with patio
I am trying to figure out how to create a nice patio...
Anna Holmquist