Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

White Rooms. Yes or No?

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
Since our Black Rooms poll had such a high response, why not ask: What do you think about white rooms??

What are your thoughts on having a completely white room? Vote and share your opinions!

Living Room · More Info
YES - I love how clean it looks
NO - That would drive me nuts
NEUTRAL - Meh, doesn't matter

Comments (143)

• silverscreenstar
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Too antiseptic and cold a look for me, thanks! I vote "NO".
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Not a completely white room for me, unless it's a bathroom. But white on white as in these walls, mouldings, fireplace, and coverlet, with a few color splashes and warm wood floors, this I love!
  • Tricia Robinson
    10 years ago
    I love white rooms but they need lots of colour in the accessories for me. The one shown looks much to sterile. Needs more colour to make it feel more homey and welcoming. Lots of natural light in there, I do like that.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Feels cold and impersonal...people like this get no junk mail, and have no pets or children.
  • sandra1942
    10 years ago
    I'm a color person. Nature is color. I have walls sage, daffodil, soft blue; love them all. The white bathroom would be fun, but I'd have to add drama -- painting with bold colors. There's white and there's white. A hint of color softens the glare.
  • fiveredhedz
    10 years ago
    Our kids even call it "The White Room". Walls, trim and ceiling all painted white, tho trim was in a glossy sheen to make it look deliberate and not like it was a forgotten room. Walls were textured and floor was dark stain wood. Black and white art matted and framed in white, on walls. Black iron chandelier. Lots of comments on how great it looked. Furniture was in neutral palate but not white.
  • Mansi Manwani
    10 years ago
    This Looks beautiful. So Spacious.
  • robh572
    10 years ago
    No
  • emigs
    10 years ago
    I love monocromatic schemes, especially white. It is a fresh look, but this large space needs an accent color sprinkled throughout the space. Without an accent color, the eye tends to be drawn to the dark color of the fireplace. If an accent color is not desired, maybe consider incorporating varying shades of white to give the space depth and/or incorporating lots of texture, either in the floor or window covering, pillows on the sofa, wall art, tabletop arrangement, ceiling lighting.
  • Mitra Moini
    10 years ago
    All white rooms bring images of padded rooms and straitjackets for me! So, no thanks.
  • ruthmand
    10 years ago
    Mitra9 - you make a good point. Did you just watch "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" again too?
  • anjalinirmal
    10 years ago
    white is good... but i need some color for such a huge space....tho it looks clean & all
  • kiyoshima
    10 years ago
    When we moved into our house all of the walls were white. After a few months it started to make me feel a little crazy! Sorry ,but to me my house just isn't finished unless there is color .
  • patatas
    10 years ago
    I really needed to repaint my bathroom but wasn't yet ready to do the full remodel and didn't have much time. Decided to just "do it all white." ACK, the glare! The sterility! It was awful. Ended up repainting one wall - the one opposite the mirror - in a dark cream; also the cabinets and the tub surround. What a relief. Then took down the white towels and replaced with pastels - much, much better.
  • Karen
    10 years ago
    Our family had a large, white couch in our living room. It looked great for many years. It took about 20 years of wear and tear before it needed to be replaced, but overall was quite stain resistant.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    If you like to change your accessories and window treatments/linens with the seasons and holidays like I do, a white room is perfect.
  • asalvona
    10 years ago
    Hivoltage11 sorry didn't see your q among all the many comments ! Think its highland mist 5 - although bramble moor is also really nice . Paint is in the shed - and guess what - too cold to go out and look but will get back to you ;)
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Or even a warm off white room as well.
  • mullenpc
    10 years ago
    I would prefer a dark wood floor and perhaps the lower beams could match the floor.
  • cliffordhome
    10 years ago
    I'd like an all white room if I had a second home with great views of the ocean, high ceilings and an open floor plan...
  • mcvic3
    10 years ago
    Always clean and calm. You can add pops of color or textures and still love the clean look.
  • cmarquardt1
    10 years ago
    this is gorgeous!!! if i lived here i would have to add more color with rugs and couches...stunning!
  • vee228
    10 years ago
    In an older or antique home white looks fantastic.
  • Sandy
    10 years ago
    Too much white in a home looks boring and very sterile.
  • PRO
    Bravehart Interiors
    10 years ago
    All white (or tones of white) with a hit of colour (and pattern) can make a really clean and fun statement! It also allows natural light to fill the room, reflect on white surfaces, rather than sucking up the lumens with dark furnishings, walls, etc.
  • Simone Bostic
    10 years ago
    I need color. My bedroom. BM-Apple Green. :) I am into all white bedding and all white dishes though. Go figure.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    I have antique white walls in most of the home with white trim, however the color is in the art, slate floor, rugs and furniture, etc.
  • PRO
    Crypton
    10 years ago
    White rooms are a must and so is cleanability! Fabrics from Crypton allow you to have an all white room and live "mess-free"!
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    off white room is okay, not all white, nooo.
  • Sherri Webber
    10 years ago
    I do believe white is the 'new' color choice. I've seen an increase of white vehicles now on the road too. Love it. Moving into a new build and want white w hits of color...can hardly wait.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Too white is artic and cold, need a softer off white.
  • PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    10 years ago
    Totally Yes!!
  • PRO
    Rebecca Hite, Realtor, Huntington Properties, LLC.
    10 years ago
    Of course it depends on how it's done and how the room will be used, but a well-designed white room can be totally amazing.
  • PRO
    Ayr Flooring Inc.
    10 years ago
    Yes, but put some warmth into the floor. You can keep it light, but maybe not white.
  • PRO
    Columbia Redevelopment
    10 years ago
    All white gives off such a clean and refreshing aesthetic. I especially like how the collar ties are painted white, too.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I find it interesting that the only time nature features an all white esthetic is during snow storms. One cannot actually be comfortable outside during a snowstorm, tis lovely to observe from our windows in our heated abodes. We can, however, sit outside in our shorts and Tshirts during the summer when color abounds.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    All-white rooms are very popular here in South Florida.
  • hasinajiwani
    10 years ago
    I loved the concept so I tried it at my cottage in Santa Rosa Beach but the sateen finish paint we used just looked cheap so I painted over. Now I am thinking that I should have used a flat finish?
  • rubyloves2shop
    10 years ago
    Personally I am not opposed to some white but all white is what most rentals use and have used for decades. Many years of that limited palette could be depressing. I am now a home owner and want to express myself more fully. All one color palettes aren't for everyone. As far as sheen it depends on the wall surface but I find matte or eggshell look more natural while giving less attention to imperfections in the wall surface.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    We used antique white on the walls with white for the trim and doors, it is a wonderful background for all our art and masks. We do have a cocoa color venetian plaster on our fireplace all the way up to the top of the vaulted ceiling, with a large black stained wood mantel.
  • PRO
    Astro Design Centre
    10 years ago
    Yes we love white rooms!! Our latest kitchens have all been white, if you want to have a look for ideas. These are great for inspiration, as we have a kitchen from each style. Would be interested to hear what all your thoughts are?
  • dogmom5
    10 years ago
    I used to only have white walls throughout our home. Then I just craved color & painted every room a different color several years ago. It all works though by having teal or aqua accents pulling it all together.
  • PRO
    sharonna misha designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    yes! lOVE white rooms!! started out loving white kitchens and bathrooms but now I love all kinds of white rooms... still working on finishing our dining room which we just painted white and am finding that it looks great with rustic pieces as well as both weathered wood pieces and dark wood pieces for contrast- sort of a Belgian look?- the only drawback is that the gorgeous millwork does not show up as much in photos now with the white on white...
    p.s. we are planning on either finding or making a rustic wood plank farmhouse dining table to replace this one at which time i'll probably stain the Chippendale chairs darker.
  • marlso
    9 years ago
    I only use various shades and hues of white ( or the palest grey) on all my walls. For me, being in a white room lets me appreciate the natural light outside at different times of the day, and how that all plays off of the interior white walls. You become much more aware of these light change in a white room. It just feels better to be around white for me. Color can be distracting once you furnish it at times. It really does depend on your "look" however.
  • PRO
    OROA - Distinctive Furniture
    9 years ago
    Maybe white rooms are not the best when you're having children, but in general I do like white rooms. Not off-white, but beige/creme or white rooms with wood accessories or tables.
  • PRO
    sharonna misha designs
    9 years ago
    @Oroa - Eichholtz Furniture- do you sell the sofa in your 1st pic? if so, how much?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Hi Sharonna, yes we do sell them online. (FREE white glove delivery) You can find Sofa Davidoff here: http://goo.gl/2L3UhZ
  • gypsyrose17
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    When done right with accent colors/art it can be beautiful :)
  • drpjsmit
    7 years ago

Super stylish and chic ... if you do it right!

• PRO
    7 years ago

View our newest collection of whites on the videos below and get inspired.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner