Need help with this fireplace wall redo!
marhar5
What should I do with this whole wall? I'm going to remove the built-ins since the tv doesn't need such a tall and deep cabinet and move the tv above the fireplace, but then what do I do with that space? Any ideas what to do with the fireplace?
Remote Stylist
Get rid of the mantle all together and put a big mirror on top .. round or some other non-rectangular shape would add more visual interest. Think of it more as art piece then practical one so interesting lines. Also switch the placement of the accessories on the hearth ledge
November 6, 2013 at 10:33am        Thanked by marhar5
Don't put TV over firepl. Remove built ins get a long buffet type. Add big 50" TV to it next to firepl. Prob solved. Will look better also.
November 6, 2013 at 10:36am     
Mantel on yr firepl to dated with oak. Get a bigger longer one in reclaimed wood. Add big mirror over firepl. Vertical dark frame.
November 6, 2013 at 10:37am   
Add nothing to hearth, on mantel 3 wood candlesticks on ends only. Don't over do. Your firepl is busy with the stone. Keep it simple.
November 6, 2013 at 10:38am   
Good job on your home it's very nice.
November 6, 2013 at 10:39am   
AlessandraDesign
Its a really nice stone fire place! I'd say take down the mantle and putting the TV there is a good idea. The space where the built ins are....do you need storage, a desk, or any more seating in this room?
November 6, 2013 at 10:39am   
Why not reface the fireplace and take the stone all the way across? Would be beautiful! Could you access a closet from the back side of the recess if the front side were stone?

November 6, 2013 at 10:39am   
anne dee
a stone mantel and built in niche to the right of the FP for the TV as seen in the reference pic(similar to sugg. by travisinteriors)

November 6, 2013 at 10:49am      Thanked by marhar5
marhar5
travisinteriors - thank you. The stone on the fireplace doesn't wrap around the side by the built-ins so it needs to come off and be redone. I like the idea of the buffet but then I'm back to the same issue of furniture placement to look at the tv and fireplace...
November 6, 2013 at 11:07am   
marhar5
AlessandraDesign - thanks - seating and storage is always useful but I'm not sure how to do seating there when it would be behind/beside the tv and fireplace...
November 6, 2013 at 11:11am   
marhar5
decoenthusiaste - I like the idea of stone but what would you reface the fireplace with - the same stone? And there is no way to access a closet - the other side of the wall is kitchen cabinets
November 6, 2013 at 11:13am   
AlessandraDesign
Marhar5- you could do a bench there with some custom storage above and below or shelving there with 2 ottomans or chaise lounge chair. this way the area can be used on occasion for conversation or reading time.
November 6, 2013 at 11:20am     
marhar5
Here's a view from the opposite angle
November 6, 2013 at 11:26am   
terrimatern
Travis has a good point. The fire place and the large build-in compete for the focal point. If you can't do without your storage, the build in could be painted to match the wall paint. It would blend better and won't compete as much. Again, the mantel can be painted same as the build in if you go for the paint update. My comments are budget wise b/c we know painting can buy you time and it's inexpensive to do. I would not remove the mantel, you may never match that stone perfectly and you will always notice it. Unless you are bent on making large changes, I'd update the build-in cabinet doors, change the hardware (the small knobs are out of proportion to the overall size. I'd just paint, making the large build-in disappear into the wall color. With your furniture layout the way it is, if you put the TV on the fireplace it would be hard to watch from the part of the sofa that is in the photo.
November 6, 2013 at 11:32am        Thanked by marhar5
anne dee
As been suggested a built in bench with storage

November 6, 2013 at 11:38am   
terrimatern
Marhar5. Looking at the opposite angle photo, you may want to paint the ceiling the same color as the walls, but only if you have a definitive room dividing feature on the ceiling plane between adjacent rooms. The vaulted ceiling can be overwhelming and seem too tall. Painting them the same color or a % of the same wall color brings them down a bit. It looks like you have two different color carpets on the floor, maybe for a pet, I would just get a much larger area rug that would run all the way out in front of the build in. One that would run lengthwise from the sofa to about where I see the 2nd rug or a little farther. That would also help in tying in the build-in better with the middle of the room.
November 6, 2013 at 11:42am   
marhar5
I like the seating area with chairs (not so much the bench) beside it but with the suggestions of not having the tv on the fireplace I'm beginning to think otherwise. What are the pros and cons of the tv above the fireplace? Will it look better with the above suggestion of a large mirror and not have a huge black tv there all the time? So that way the focal point is the fireplace itself and not the tv?
November 6, 2013 at 11:49am   
marhar5
terrimatern - I like the paint suggestion. The carpet thing doesn't have to do with a pet but me playing around with the idea of an area rug with hardwood floors instead of the carpet. I am set on taking out the built in. That center section is just too large and a waste of space - meant for an old tv (before flatscreens) :)
November 6, 2013 at 11:55am     
bungalowmo
Optimally, your fireplace & tv should never even be on the same wall, let alone the same viewing area! Fireplace is for ambiance...tv is for entertainment. The 2 should never be in competition for your attention.

Lastly, a tv is not a piece of art...find something else for over the fireplace.

I have been an Audio/Visual design Engineer for years. It's what I do. So...there's my opinion.
November 6, 2013 at 12:00pm      Thanked by marhar5
Sorry don't agree with that statement.
November 6, 2013 at 12:04pm   
The photo I posted had the FP in a different finish and protruding from the stone wall. However, you could keep it all the same in real or faux stone face with a mantel of your choice. Just thought a closet might be practical behind the wall of stone. Maybe at the end behind and between you could manage a hidey hole for a safe or something. Here's another thought - art display.

November 6, 2013 at 12:04pm        Thanked by marhar5
Vancouver Gas Fireplaces
Here's an example of a TV above a fireplace. I like the bench idea or a new built-in, maybe the TV can go on the opposite wall at an angle to avoid a reflection if the fireplace is on.
November 6, 2013 at 12:12pm      Thanked by marhar5
TV isn't always good for viewing above the mantel - you might mount it on the stone to the right at eye level when seated.
November 6, 2013 at 12:58pm      Thanked by marhar5
terrimatern
I had though of that and almost said it. Now knowing that your are set on removing the build-in. And I am so happy you are not going to put the tV over that fireplace. The best use of the space, seeing that you have plenty of room in the space for extra seating, I would go back the Travisinteriors first idea of a low build-in about 30 inch in height and get a 60" tv and mount to the wall about 4" above that.
It may be true in the design world that a TV and fireplace should not be on the same wall, but rooms still get built this way and it's a good designer who can take and negative and turn it into a positive. I think marhar5 is getting a lot of good suggestions from the photos.
November 7, 2013 at 5:52am      Thanked by marhar5
terrimatern
marhar5, do you need or want to keep the fireplace. It isn't unheard of the remove a fireplace. I think the kitchen is on the other side and the wall space may needed in the other room, or does the fireplace open up to both sides? It's something to consider, that is if you don't need it.
November 7, 2013 at 5:54am      Thanked by marhar5
Need help with a redo of this fireplace wall.
14ft long, 7ft ceiling. Painting brick? raised panels?...
Need help with redoing an asymmetrical fireplace
Will be redoing this fireplace with some sort of stone....
Need to redo the fireplace! So outdated. Help please!
Should we paint the brick? Or cover it? What colors...
Need help to re-do mantel for fireplace
The current fireplace is brick, painted white. It has...
Need to redo my fireplace in our Tudor home. Please help.
Painted brick hearth, too small mantle windows on both...
Need help enhancing the exterior of my ranch
I am in the process of planning an exterior remodel...
Need help for new exterior paint color
My husband built this A Frame in the 70's and we are...
Need help with living room layout
Just moved into this place and need decor ideas for...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Covered in ivy! Gardening/landscaping tips??
Hello houzzers! We are attempting to give our yard...