choosing a chandelier for the diningroom
marciarahn
Which one enhances the look for the room?
I want a French style. Would it be more crystal or more ironwork?
Confused!
AlessandraDesign
I like the first chandelier choice better. I think the metal might be too heavy for the room, so anything with a lot of glass would work.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 6, 2013 at 12:26PM
Lights Online
Beautiful room! The cat sitting in the chair certainly makes me like the room more, too...
Perhaps the more ironwork chandelier would be a good fit. It depends on how much crystal glitz you want to have in your room, though. If you want a lot of sparkle, the more crystal chandelier is a good choice. But the iron one also has crystals, so it's not like you're completely missing out on the French glamour!
fos5
I would choose the second chandeiler. Think the room is too mono chromatic and needs a focal point which the chandelier would provide, on a dimmer, use the good china and crystal stemware. WOW
    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 6, 2013 at 12:39PM
I like #2 as well. If your china cabinet doesn't light up, I'd spend the $$ to remedy that and style, rather than store, the china in it.
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 12:52PM
marciarahn
Thanks everyone! So far #2 seems to be the winner, but I am hoping more people will weigh in. I just noticed the cat! Oops! I hope she doesn't jump on the table! And yes, the china cabinet does light up.
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 1:00PM
Try styling the displays. If there are grooves for standing plates fill the back with plates and platters. Then angle and layer the things in front. No stacking like storage. Try some plate and cup and saucer stands as well.
    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 6, 2013 at 1:24PM
LB Interiors
I like # 2. Just enough of all the right things without an over-do.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 6, 2013 at 2:02PM
Mark
I think changing the head chairs to something like in this photo would take things up a notch. I like the chandelier in this photo as well. The chandelier has the best of both which would look beautiful in your diningroom. The blue and white china you have is gorgeous and bringing in more blue like that in your diningroom would be very pretty.

1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 6, 2013 at 2:03PM
LB Interiors
You didn't ask, but we tend to add stuff : ). A couple of tweaks. I would lower the art approx. 12" down. Maybe remove all the dishes on console table. There is too much stuff there. I would use all the candlesticks together on the console table to create an arrangement with the clock. Only the birds on the table and nothing else may look simpler and cleaner.
    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 6, 2013 at 2:06PM
fos5
Agree clear the dishes off the ornate table, the art and frame does nothing for this room, a more ornate frame. a taler, vertical , colorful, floral piece of art over table, yes to LB group the candles on either side of a tray with a large piece from the china cabinet. Chair seats
could be upholstered with a patten print in colors from the china. Tweat Tweak.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 6, 2013 at 3:34PM
marciarahn
Thanks for all of your advice. This gives me lots to think about. Still not sure about whether the ironwork chandelier will be too heavy or the crystal one too frilly.
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 6:12PM
chookchook2
Option 4 is a less heavy style of iron. Crystal wonderful if you are spry enuf the next 10 yrs or so to regularly get up to take down the drops and wash them by hand in the sink, then chase down replacement drops when break.
    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 6, 2013 at 6:24PM
marciarahn
Here is a picture of the room from the opposite angle. The drapes are blue to match the dishes. The piece in the hallway is an antique jelly cabinet.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 6:36PM
Lesley Delle_Grazie
I like #2 also, but I love sparkle in a dining room! BTW, to clean my crystals, I get a small cup and fill it with rubbing alcohol and submerge each crystal in it (yes, one by one but while they're still hanging) and then wipe them with a lint-free cloth. Just make sure you've got something to protect your table in case of drips.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 6, 2013 at 6:46PM
chookchook2
Sounds like a good idea
    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 6, 2013 at 7:43PM
fos5
Good to see the the rest of the room. Try handing you curtains panels straight down, pushed back, may have to lengthen your rod a little to get the right balance. The jelly cupboard is nice with the curved top, I would repeat the curve with an oval mirror over this cupboard, it would also reflect the crystal chandelier, very pretty at night. Looks like an exterior door entering into this dining room?
    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 7, 2013 at 5:30AM
marciarahn
It is an exterior door. Can't change that. I like the idea of hanging the curtains straight down. Are you still in favor of the ironwork chandelier? Your remarks seem to favor the crystal now. Thanks for your time. Current vote is #1 Crystal 2 #2 Ironwork 4
    Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 7:27AM
fos5
Still in favor of chandelier # 2.
    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 7, 2013 at 10:38AM
LB Interiors
Hi marchiarahn,
I just noticed the art over the jelly cupboard. I think it might be a better balance and scale if it is over the console table in the dining room. It looks like you can switch them out? In the last pic, is that a mirror over the console table in the dining room? It's nice to have a mirror in the entry. If it is, maybe move it over the cupboard at the entry. If you keep the original art there, lower it to 3" above the carved detail. If you switch it out, same, 3" above the carved detail : )
    Bookmark   Thanked by marciarahn    November 7, 2013 at 11:00AM
Placing Diningroom fixture
Diningroom is 15 x 12 feet with 2 half walls along...
Lori Peters
Why did you choose these chandeliers?
Looks a bit harsh as for me...
mbush88
Beautiful diningroom
Can you please share who is the manufacturer of the...
bethanybauer
pendants lights in diningroom and over island
My dining room table is about 6 feet away from our...
dorothyjmc
Awkward exterior! How to update and make more like cottage
May be interested in this home to purchase and renovate....
dlstalnaker
Too long wall in the living room...
Dear All, We bought an appartment and there is one...
timi22
Need help with the fireplace
I Really don't like the stone- very old fashion . Would...
donnacofran
What can I put here?
Hi all Could you please help me with this empty wall? Thank...
alaahq
Tile size
I HATE the current ceramic tile in my hallway and am...
rebscrap