Please help us make our first houzz a home
Monica
We just bought our first house recently and I am having some trouble decorating, I'm especially lost when it comes to color choice. Here is our living room. The coffee table and end tables are hand-me-downs which can be replaced.

I want to change the rug because this one is not very practical, I'd like something that won't get dirty very easily, but I'm not sure what color or shade would work. Also, we need to paint, but again, I have no idea which color... So I'm asking for some advice.

How can I warm this living room up? I love the pottery barn look, but can't say that I'm on a pottery barn budget. The console that's serving as our TV stand will be moved. I plan on putting it to the right of the entry door and hanging the mirror above it to make a little entryway area.

I am always amazed at the amazing advice that I see on these forums. Any help and constructive criticism is much appreciated!!
Monica
Here are some more photos. I tried to post a panoramic photo but it didn't work
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 5:47PM
akopec
Whatever you do, do not get rid of the lovely tables. You are so lucky to have received them as hand me downs!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 6:00PM
lovebee
I like the room. You can add a mirror or a nice exciting colorful picture, also a bigger area rug and more throw pillows on the couch.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 6:06PM
sunnydaze21
We have those same curtains and our couches are gray! We are planning to paint the walls SW sea salt. Have fun! I also love the tables!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 6:10PM
dclostboy
I love the tables too...how about a nice sage or deep gray color for the walls?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 6:12PM
Monica
Thank you for your comments! Would you suggest sticking with yellow for the throw pillows? I originally chose them to match the yellow/black plaid chair. I would love to experiment more with colors or warm shades, but not sure in which direction to go.
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 6:18PM
dclostboy
The yellow thought is nice, but not sure the execution says either luxury or comfort.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 6:28PM
dclostboy
Might work better with similar mustard curtains and a muted rug
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 6:29PM
sunnydaze21
I would switch out the tv stand for something heavier. IMO, a nice restored console table or something of those lines could make it a little more balanced.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 6:30PM
lovebee
Love what you have done with decorating your house . you have a good eye for decorating. can you give me some suggestion on eclectic styles?
lovebee
I love animal print how about some animal print pillows just a sugesstion
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 6:33PM
Monica
Thank you dclostboy. I agree, I would love something that brings in both more luxury and comfort. I like the idea of a more muted rug. I wonder if any neutral color would work in this room. I would like to bring in more browns, but I don't want them to look 'washed out' next to the gray couches.
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 6:47PM
Monica
That is an interesting suggestion lovebee. I wouldn't be opposed to animal print. I love cowskin rugs and I was considering that... I don't know that I could pull it off though and also not sure if the dimensions would work.
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 6:49PM
lovebee
the curtains are neutral and nice, the couch is neutral and nice. I would suggest earth tone warm colors in area rug and also pillows
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 6:49PM
akopec
Put a nice painting on the wall.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 7:00PM
akopec
Please stick to faux animal items... We don't want any cows getting hurt in the process.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 7:02PM
Monica
Good point akopec, I don't want any animals harmed in this process :D
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 7:08PM
abbyjean
Would you consider having the couch face the love seat and then the chair in the corner by the window and love seat? Then the console table you want to move near the door could go behind the couch and be a couch table AND an entry table. Make the rug work between the two larger pieces of furniture. I love all the furniture you have in the room now. Art on the wall, a new table for the tv.....oh, and that paint color. Hmmmm.......would one of the stripes in the chair work on the walls?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 7:25PM
Monica
Abbyjean, didn't think of that arrangement and it sounds very interesting! The only issue I see is that the couches wouldn't be facing the TV, which isn't a huge deal and I'd be wiling to give it a try. I do love the idea of having the console behind the couch. Thank you for your input! Can't wait to see how your arrangement idea looks.
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 7:34PM
abbyjean
The chair would still be handy for tv and many rooms are set up with the couches perpendicular to the tv instead of across from them. Some people like to lie down on the couch and watch tv, too. If you have someone that can help move things around, it would be fun to see what it looks like.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 7:48PM
lovebee
Don't be afraid Monica try the print ,cow prints come in black and white and also I believe in a cinnamon like color. If it don't work you can always return the rug and try something different It might look very lovely so give it a try. You can take a look at my idea book and tell me what you think I love color my style is eclectic
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 7:53PM
janeinfo
I would paint walls a color like BM Revere Pewter. Put a large piece of artwork like in this pic:
and bring in some teal pillows, like below. Maybe some modern lamps like below. And tie it all together with a rug. I agree with the above posters. Your tables are very nice!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 7:57PM
sbrustein
I like the room very much. I would place a large painting over the sofa and choose throw pillows in colors pulled from the painting. A larger and more colorful area rug in some oft jobs same colors would add more interest.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 7:59PM
sbrustein
Sorry- large area rug with some of those same colors , is what I meant to write.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 8:00PM
joypratt
I would play off of the plaid chair and pillows. Do a contrast of patterns. So...maybe a rug with circular patterns. Or even a rug with a modern paisley deign. Then pair it with art that has both of the patterns contrasted to pull it together. You can add a lot of color in the room with a bright colored rug and wall art. Then u can pick one of the colors in the rug or wall art for the walls.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 8:04PM
doorla
A nice warm color paint as an accent, really any color you like will go!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 8:13PM
lovebee
Monica, I was looking on overstock. com they have cow print faux rugs just a suggestion for you
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 8:16PM
sunnydaze21
I vote for the faux cow hide rug. I think it would add that bit of personality and edge it needs!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Monica    November 6, 2013 at 8:16PM
Brooke Strong
I would first decide if you really want to paint or not. I think the wall color is quite nice and you could easily work with it, but up to you. Find a palate of colors that you like which includes the sofa gray, the black in the chair and one or two accent colors (or you can just go for neutral contrast of blacks/grays/whites...again, your preference.
THEN start looking at what you can do with this colors you have chosen with a new rug, art and/or drapes etc...
1 Like    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 8:27PM
Monica
Thanks for all you wonderful suggestions!
    Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 4:58AM
How is it going now? Would love to hear an update!
    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 4:13PM
Myrone Delacruz
I like the coffee table! Would it work to move your tv to the wall where your love seat is currently? Then rearrange the rest of the seating to face that wall/tv?
    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 5:43PM
chaefender
My advice would be to pull the couch and love seat away from each other. Don't let them touch. And place the tree that's in between there somewhere like beside the tv. And for the color choice, whatever color you like since you have a lot of neutrals. Yellow, as you mentioned would look great. :) nice furniture
    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 11:22PM
Entrway - First Step into Our New Home (HELP!)
We're starting with a blank slate here. We don't presently...
denizenxix
Please help us add architectural style to our 1990 home!
Hi Everyone, We purchased a 1990 home and, due to a...
Mary Vyas
PLEASE help with the outside of our home!!
There is nothing in balance with the outside of this...
sybilistic
Houzz Live Chat: Clutter and Organization in the Home
Welcome to Houzz Live: Clutter and Organization in...
Jeannie Nguyen
Help us transform our home from Octogenarian style to young couple chic
I'm overwhelmed, please help. We just moved into our...
bushyp75
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Need help with decorating my Living room
Hi, We moved to our place few months back.. I am having...
arunanegi
Need kitchen backsplash ideas.
We recently installed all natural maple shaker cabinets...
schmuttis
Ideas for a table?
I want to put a console table next to the couch but...
mcklood
Hardware?
can anyone tell me what manufacturer the door hardware...
Gina Geraci