How do I arrange furniture in this room?
sashinka1
Hello, I have a long room with a fire burning stove. We use it as a computer room, kids have their homework table in it and its a play room. I am getting rid of the big couch and getting sofa and love seat combo my mother in law bought. Piano will move to another room. Can I divide this room into three spaces somehow? I want to put tv where my computer is with sofa/love seat in a L shape in front of it. Any other ideas ?
sashinka1
Please forgive the mess! We are reorganizing and will be moving everything out for floor refinishing.
0 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 6:24AM
CDR Design
I think we can do it. There is so much stuff in the room, I cannot tell where your computer is. So, where do you want to put the tv?
2 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 6:31AM
sashinka1
If you look at the first photo its on the left in front of the piano. So, I'll put the sofa where the piano is, then love seat next to in in L shape.
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 6:34AM
CDR Design
I am sorry. I cannot see either a piano of a computer. But, if I understand correctly, you want to put a tv on the wall to the left of the window and you want to place a couch and love seat in an L, facing tv?

I would need more photos, but from what I can see, there is just way too much stuff in the room. You would have to move all the stuff out of that end of the room. Are you willing to do that?

Need more photos of the area of which you speak. Thank you.
2 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 6:55AM
CDR Design
Just looking at the photos, I would say fitting a love seat and couch in that are would not work. You could do it, but it is going to look crowded.

One other other thing you can do is to take measurements. How wide is the room and how much space do you have on the wall across from the couch? Then what are the lengths of the couch and love seat?
1 Like   Thanked by sashinka1    November 7, 2013 at 7:08AM
sashinka1
Thanks for your comments! I know, it's really cluttered and we'll be moving everything out. According to measurements sofa/love seat will fit. I am concerned its not going to feel right having a love seat facing the window there.
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 9:24AM
CDR Design
It seems to me a lot of furniture in one space. On the other hand, the room is necessarily going to have to be divided into a couple of different venues.

You could place the loveseat against the window. I don't normally recommend this, but in this case, could be a good solution?

or

Can you use the love seat at the other end…..where the current couch is?

Are you going to be taking the love seat and couch anyway? If so, I wouldn't sorry about it. Take them and try them.
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 11:26AM
sashinka1
Thanks! You are right. I am taking the couches anyway, so might as well have an poem mind about where to put them. I just want to be able to have this space serve three purposes: tv watching, play area and homework area (with computer space) . Going through different layouts in my head. Will be easier to just try it out.
0 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 11:31AM
RosemaryR
Once you clear out the room you will have a better understanding of your layout, so don't stress. I do think you should have a seating area by woodstove as just a place to sit for "quiet" time.
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 11:40AM
CDR Design
I would highly recommend you move everything out before you attempt this. When you have all this stuff in the room, you just can't think clearly.

I think your best bet, with the stairs there, is to try the love seat in front of the window.
I am assuming the toy area will be in the middle?
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 11:40AM
sashinka1
Yes, the toy area would be in a middle. I think the shelves that are on each side of the stove would go to either together next to each other (to the right of stove) or one where it is right now, the other one (the one next to the piano) could go to the opposite wall of the wood burning stove.
0 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 1:26PM
CDR Design
I think they would look better together. Can they go both go on the wall where the couch is now? They are taking away from the fireplace as a focal point.
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 1:42PM
sashinka1
They won't fit in front of the stove together. It might have to be both to the right of it, or one to the right, one in front.
0 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 6:51PM
Renee
This isn't ideal but if you already have the sofa and love seat - could you put them facing each other at the far end near the window and then hang the TV above the love seat? Or, skip the love seat for two kid size comfy chairs that could be turned toward the TV. Kids play area and homework table at the other end with the bookshelves and your desk opposite the fireplace?
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 7:12PM
Renee
And, paint the bookshelves black for some contrast. I love the hardworking demands of this room.
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 7:14PM
sashinka1
Thanks, Renee. I like the idea of putting kids chairs near the couch instead of the love seat. I was also considering bean bags, but they don't look as nice.
0 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 7:39PM
CDR Design
sashinka.

Can you please take more photos. We need a photo of both ends of the room and a closer photo of where the couches are going.
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 4:00AM
sashinka1
Here are some more photos of the room.
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 7:19AM
sashinka1
The opposite end
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 7:21AM
studio10001
Looking toward the french doors-
Measurements permitting, try the office bookcase under the pony wall, left of the low steps, with computer area to the left of the french doors, and run the carpet across the width of that space to define it. The second bookcase will keep the eye forward of that file area if you place it perpendicular to the right wall, in front of the same steps. Table placed center.
Facing back window-
Loveseat and sofa in L shape, but with a sizable corner table, and seating pulled forward enough to allow a window treatment to fall behind. TV on opp. wall, w nested coffee table duo, and an upholstered bench, or ottomans for the children, floating, as the 'fourth wall'.
Consider a larger mirror over the fireplace to bounce more light from the doors to mid-room, and use the opposite wall to frame some of the children's artwork into a gallery. A single piece of artwork over the sofa will give that area primary focus in the room.
Best of luck with you project.
1 Like   Thanked by sashinka1    November 8, 2013 at 8:10AM
CDR Design
The pictures help a lot. Thanks.

You will not be able to fit both a love seat and couch on the tv end. Well, you might be able to shove them in there, but it will not look good.(unless they are much smaller than standard).

Couch on wall where you had planned/tv on wall where you had planned.

We will have to see where love seat fits. Possible ideas are floated, facing French Doors.

Another idea is under pony wall, with both bookcases across from it.

Third idea is love seat to right of fp. Then bookcases across from each other on walls.

Then there is the table. I do not see you being able to fit both the table and love seat. I really think it best if love seat is not in there. But, we will see.

Fireplace will be focal point and I would recommend art over fireplace.
1 Like   Thanked by sashinka1    November 8, 2013 at 8:28AM
I would prefer the play area at the end where the windows are. Is it possible that the two bookcases could be placed perpendicular to the walls, to create a more private space where the play chaos can be restricted from view? The one perpendicular on the FP wall can face the play area for toy storage and the other the sitting/TV/FP/computer end of the room with books and decor. You can upholster the backs of both with fabric and nailhead tacks. The back of the one facing the FP/sitting area will provide another "wall" for arranging furniture. Is it possible that the loveseat is the right size to back up to it? I think your long carpet might cover the sitting/tv/computer end of the space and the kid's area can have its own comfy play rug. Take some measurements and see if this solution could work for you.
2 Likes   Thanked by sashinka1    November 8, 2013 at 8:30AM
sashinka1
Thank you so much, everyone! I will try all of these ideas with the right measurements. This is a challenging room because it serves so many purposes.
1 Like   November 8, 2013 at 10:32AM
Remove the different rugs leave only one. Where TV goes. Are you thinking over firepl? At other end by window put desk, for computer and some baskets for toys. Add desk lamp. By TV sofa. Don't know if room for love seat?. A chair would have been better. Remove bookcase, just looks to cluttered in this small room. Add movie poster for art. Hang low over furn.
0 Likes   Thanked by sashinka1    November 8, 2013 at 10:40AM
Remove all small items on walls. Keep it clean lines. Add a bamboo dark brown shade to that window.
0 Likes   Thanked by sashinka1    November 8, 2013 at 10:41AM
You are trying to put too much in this room. Remove 1/3 of it.
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 10:42AM
CDR Design
sashinka1, I think you realize that you have quite a task ahead of you, but it can be done. We will be here with you along the way. This is not the normal room rearranging because there is just so much stuff.

Even after all of the extras are moved out, I don't know that we will be able to keep both bookcases, 2 couches. It is just a lot.

Is there any way you could start moving stuff out now? This will take some organizational skills. Here is what I would recommend as a process for you;

1) Move any large pieces of furniture out that you can move out now. For example, you mentioned the piano, computer.

2) Start going through all the other papers, books, pictures and place them in 4) large bins:

A) Move to another room (place sticky on it as to what room it goes to)
B) Donate to charity
C) Trash
D) Must keep in this room

Once you do this, you will be able to think more clearly and see the possibilities. I hope this helps.
1 Like   Thanked by sashinka1    November 8, 2013 at 10:50AM
CDR Design
Please keep us posted as to your progress. Would love to cheer you on and see pics of your progress!
1 Like   Thanked by sashinka1    November 8, 2013 at 11:24AM
CDR Design
None of these rooms depicts exactly how yours will look, but thought they might serve as inspiration and/or ideas.

For example, consider placing floating both couch and love seat/one facing window/one facing french door.

Or consider a table against the pony wall for studying as opposed to a large table in the center of the room.

[houzz=apartment in Moscow[houzz=Home Farm 1[houzz=Multipurpose Basement[houzz=Lake Bluff custom residence[houzz=Evanston Condo]
0 Likes   Thanked by sashinka1    November 8, 2013 at 11:54AM
sashinka1
This is the ceiling with skylights, by the way.
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 12:54PM
CDR Design
Wow! The room really has a lot of assets.

I would recommend that you use 3 paint colors in the room:

1) wall and ceiling (all one color) lighter tone
2) fireplace second color (deeper tone)
3) skylights----could be in same tones or you could paint sky-blue

Notice how the eye is drawn up in these photos.

[houzz=The Seligman[houzz=Family room looking to the golf course and loggia.[houzz=Frenchflair]
0 Likes   Thanked by sashinka1    November 8, 2013 at 1:18PM
CDR Design
skylights painted blue

houzz=
]
0 Likes   Thanked by sashinka1    November 8, 2013 at 2:11PM
sashinka1
We did it! We finally cleared the room. It took a lot of work, but now I am excited! The floor guys are coming in today. We'll have a week out of the house and afterwards will bring in the furniture. Now image to figure out the best way for the furniture to work, so it can include space for tv (still leaning towards couch loveseat in a L shape in front if the window. I'd live to be able to fit my two kids' desks in here somewhere as well as my desk (thinking mine against the pony wall). Will keep you posted with picks, but would love to hear more ideas for furniture arranging :)
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 6:17AM
CDR Design
Wow: congratulations!!!

Okay…..

-your desk on pony wall/kids desk on wall opposite pony wall.
-couch on wall next to window and tv across

I do not think you will be able to fit both couch and love seat.

I also don't think all of those bookcases are going to fit.

Would be nice to put a couple of chairs across from fireplace.
0 Likes   Thanked by sashinka1    November 25, 2013 at 7:05AM
How do I arrange furniture in my new dining/living room?
Help! We are moving into our new home in just a few...
amyfields81
Help! How do I create an entryway and arrange furniture in front room?
Hi talented designers! I need your help. We have just...
lynnscarter
How do I break up a very long, windowless wall, and arrange furniture in this room
This room is about 9 meters long and then has a sunroom...
sarahsaad77
How do I arrange furniture in a long narrow room?
I bought a new house and my living area is like 22'...
Jeff Whiteley
Under mount sink disaster- what would houzz do!?
Today I filled my 36" stainless steel sink with water...
Elizabeth Yannone
What do you think of Patchwork rugs?
Patchwork rugs are composed of different rug pieces...
Rugknots Oriental Rugs
I need some design for Open concept house
Start form main entrance going to living room to view...
stevencastro
antique dining chair started "leaking"
I bought a set of antique upholstered dining chairs...
auntdave
Best Homemade Gift?
As more people try to simplify their holiday giving...