IdeaChat Video - Nutty Home Fixes - 11.7.13
Jeannie Nguyen
November 7, 2013 in Other
What's the weirdest invention you've created for a quick home fix?

Watch today's IdeaChat video and share your wacky fixes with us. If you got photos of your invention, post them too!

Houzz Call: What Have You Rigged Up Around the House?
Ideabook: Houzz Call: Show Us Your Nutty Home Fixes
Jeannie Nguyen
When my sister was little, she wanted to use a hammer, but my Mom wouldn't let her in fear she'd hurt herself. So she took one of those super large pencils (the ones that were like a foot long) and duct taped a very heavy balloon weight to the tip of it and used that as a hammer. It actually held up for a few years.
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 9:12AM
Janet D'Ascenzo
I lived in an apartment and the only bathroom's sink was literally falling off the wall. I could NOT get my landlord to fix it for a MONTH. I propped it up with a kitchen chair and had to climb in and out of the bathtub to get around to the toilet.
5 Likes   Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen    November 7, 2013 at 9:43AM
matteoku
I created this Kinect holder to keep it on top of the TV bending those shirt hangers made of wire. I made a few marks with a sharpie and bent everything into place, it sits discreetly on top of the TV and is barely noticeable unless you shine a light over it like I did with this photo :)
5 Likes   Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen    November 7, 2013 at 10:59AM
Joy Hoover
Our dryer had went bad 2 years ago & couldn't afford to buy another one right away so this was the only way to dry our clothes since it was winter..It was my Red Neck Dryer, it may look funny but hey it worked, just took a long time to dry everything though llol https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1658542035685&l=1446488451646118774
4 Likes   Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen    November 7, 2013 at 2:20PM
Joy Hoover
I do not know how to attach a video here sorry, link is above
   November 7, 2013 at 2:21PM
Jeannie Nguyen
@Joy: If you have a YouTube video link, you can just copy and paste the URL into the comment box and it will automatically embed for you. :)
   November 7, 2013 at 2:25PM
Joy Hoover
sorry I dont have it on u-tube, only on face book
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 2:59PM
jlinsaudi
Tired of getting water on the floor when taking a shower, I got these small adhesive velcro thinghy used for clothing and sticked one side of the velcro on the wall and the other part on my shower curtain. The curtain now sticks to the wall, no more water everywhere!
7 Likes   November 10, 2013 at 3:18AM
My elderly mother in law comes visiting and we have a step down into our living area. Rather than add a permanent bannister, I use the telephone glass suction pad holders on the wall during her visit and remove it when she leaves.
2 Likes   November 10, 2013 at 3:49AM
rredpenn
We used to have a JennAire downdraft vent system that barely worked. When cooking something greasy (bacon, fried chicken, etc), we would have to use a large, flat cookie sheet as a tent over the pan directing the grease and steam towards the pop up vent. I wouldn't have any photos because, come on, that was embarrassing! Eventually remodeled, and top priority was a professional range/hood. Sadly, when we moved, we bought the same problem... those downdraft vents are stupid... so we will have to do that tent thing again until the kitchen gets overhauled.
2 Likes   November 10, 2013 at 4:01AM
hammerhugger
I don't have one that I can think of but Joy's dryer make me LOL!
1 Like   November 10, 2013 at 6:28AM
chepados
I used an old 2-piece metal wand from my vaccuum and ran an old dog chain thru it, hooked it over my existing closet rod on both ends. Voila! a double rod closet. I wrapped black garbage bags around the chains to keep my clothes from snagging on them. Was easy, free, and doubled our closet space.
3 Likes   November 10, 2013 at 7:03AM
Mark
When I moved into my first apartment my parents gave me money to buy a fridge and I foolishly spent it, on what I don't remember but the money magically disappeared :) Anyway it was winter time and my apartment was on the ground level so for the whole winter anything that had to be kept cold I stuck in the snow outside my kitchen window. Friends would come over and I'd say help yourselves to a beer and then they would would look around and say where? I'd laugh and open up the window and say help yourself. I confided to my sister that I had spent the money Mom and Dad gave me and one day I heard a knock at the door and she had brought me an old fridge she had stored in her garage. It was the biggest fridge I had ever seen and it was in terrible shape but what was I going to say since she hauled it all the way over. It took up most of my small kitchen but at least I had a fridge !
8 Likes   November 10, 2013 at 7:32AM
beazee
When I downsized to a condo I didn't want to spend $400.00+ on a screen door for my balcony. Thanks to a blog, which I found by Googling "how to make a screen door",
I made one for $12.00 with a tension curtain rod and a sheer white drapery panel. I could add another rod at the bottom, but have not found it necessary as I have had fewer bugs than in my fully screened house Best of all, my two cats can come and go at will without scratching a screen. PS, I think it looks nice too.
2 Likes   November 10, 2013 at 12:36PM
Linda
My first solo DIY project was an additional closet rod in my new apartment halfway across the country. My tool collection was limited to a hammer, pliers, couple screwdrivers and an old secondhand drill. I bought a hacksaw, pvc pipe, chain and eyehooks and put together some very functional items. Not a big project but the first one without access to Dad's tools and advice. My best invention at my current house was probably using bicycle hooks to hang my kid's backpacks
1 Like   November 10, 2013 at 7:53PM
gypsyrose17
Screwed in a cup hook on the opposing walls of the hall closet about 4 inches above the top shelf, took a piece of elastic the width of the closet, made knot loops on each end and slipped over the cup hooks. Now when you pile all the backpacks, etc. on the top shelf they don't come crashing down on your head when you remove one.
4 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 9:52AM
marieannette
I use an old silverware rack from dishwasher in the office for mail, pencils, rulers, etc. It
has oodles of "slots". Also use the sliding rack from an old dishwasher in the bottom of a kitchen cabinet to house pots, pans, cookie sheets, lids.
2 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 12:49PM
bluejeanroy
Mark's fridge situation reminds me of my childhood. My parents didn't have much money when my little sister was born. The duplex we rented came with a stove but not a fridge. That wasn't a problem for my resourceful mother though. My little sister had been born in January while we lived in Wyoming. The house had an enclosed porch along the side. Voila! One walkin cooler!
2 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 7:30PM
putzyputnams
Ran out of money during a Reno before a fireplace mantel was acquired. Bought an old park bench for $10 at a junk shop, dragged ebony stain over the existing chippy paint and mounted it over the fireplace. One of the coolest and most admired personal touches of that home.
5 Likes   Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen    November 13, 2013 at 10:21AM
Daren M
I use a silverware organizer (similar to the one in the picture) in my bathroom drawer to keep everything separated and organized
   February 9, 2014 at 1:40PM
IdeaChat Video - Crazy Finds - 11.21.13
What was the craziest thing you have ever found in...
IdeaChat Video - What's your Design Style? - 11.26.13
How do you define your design style? Watch today's...
IdeaChat Video - Sustainable Living - 11.14.13
How far would you go to be "green?" Watch today's...
IdeaChat Video - Homes with Faces - 12.19.13
Ever notice any "faces" while looking at your home...
IdeaChat Video - Home Urinal - 10.3.13
Where would you install a urinal in your home? Watch...
Cabin kitchen gut job
Hi all! We will soon be undertaking a complete kitchen...
Bathroom sconces suggestion
The bathroom is new and needs curtains and lighting....
Need opinions on window heights, sliding door stuff, view, etc..
Hey everyone! I have a nice view of the mountains on...
have less than 24 hours Please Help!!!
I bought this bench at a consignment shop and I need...