*Almost* a blank slate! Need advice...
libbyhart
I just bought this rug (see picture!) for a steal... I love the pattern and the grey... BUT, now I have no idea what to pair it with. We just moved into a new house, so the family room is a blank slate. Looking for paint, furniture, accessories... everything! I usually do an OK job with decor- but I'm struggling with mixing patterns. The rug is pretty contemporary, but I tend to have a more traditional style. I'd like the room to be more casual/traditional. Here are the pieces I'd like to get:
1) large couch. What color? I have small kids, so even though I love the look of a crisp slipcovered sofa (like the PB ones) I'm weary of white...
2) 2 accent chairs, preferably with a pattern
3) pillows- what textures, patterns should I look for?
4) accent table for between the chairs, console table for behind couch?
5) small writing desk or secretary desk
6) Paint?

As for color scheme... I want gray to be the base... but am up for almost anything in terms of accent colors! This room is attached to the kitchen which has warmer toned cabinets, so I'm thinking I need to go more warm accents.

This is a huge room, the rug is 10x14, and there is still a lot of space around it! The furniture shown is the previous owners. We also took down the window treatments to let more light in.

Thanks in advance for any help!
yoboseiyo
oh wow, that room seems large enough to support 2 smaller arrangements, if you choose.

i would have the wall color a shade or 2 darker than the rug color, and i would have the couch be a solid color, instead of patterned. not sure of color for it, though.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 12:40PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
The rug can be used as inspiration to everything that you've mentioned. When everything is said and done, I would find a blue/gray paint and use it to paint over the pecan/yellow (that includes the ceiling) This will tell you what to do below the chair rail. It appears pinkish/peach in colour. You could go darker on the bottom or to be a bit more contemporary you could go a lighter gray below the chair rail. Leave all the white trim - this picks up beautifully with the white design in the rug.

You can then work with a sofa that works better with the gray on top or the gray on the bottom or a happy medium in between (very chic). Accent chairs could be matching wing chairs with blue/gray background and white accent pattern - simple pattern that compliments or mimics the pattern on the rug.

An antique white coffee table (like a sailors chest, or something interesting) would be a great addition - to add a bit more white to the gray/white theme.

The home and the rug look made for each other. The colours on the walls need to be swapped out - that can be your "blank slate". Kitchen should be "ignored" for a bit while working with the living room. One room at a time.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 12:44PM
libbyhart

Anyone know of a good resource for learning how to mix patterns?
    Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 4:37PM
libbyhart
Here it is! Came today!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 5:13PM
dclostboy
Beautiful beautiful beautiful. Couches should be closer or need another ottoman.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 5:20PM
libbyhart
Yes- need help with the furniture. This set is actually pretty old and beat up. You can't tell from the picture, but the couch is being held up by 2x4's, and has a ton of stains from the kid's on it. We are looking to replace it all. (the chair and loveseat are in good shape, so we will probably reuse them somewhere else in the house)
    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 5:16AM
dclostboy
I love looking through Mitchell Gold as a resource...they're good at mixing classic with contemporary and can surprise with a pop of color. Might start with some ideas from their site.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 5:22AM
the essentials inside
libbyhart - Love the rug. Love the room.

Could we see the other side of the room? Maybe take a pic with your back to the fireplace?

~Lyvonne
    Bookmark   Thanked by libbyhart    November 8, 2013 at 8:26AM
lovebee
Thank you for your advice dclostboy . You can post a suggestion or comment anytime. I consider you a professional you are and artist and you appreciate color and different styles. Your work is wonderful. I will be following you on Houzz.
    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 8:51AM
libbyhart
Here are a few more pictures. Excuse the mess in the kitchen!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 11:57AM
lovebee
I like your room . I would add curtain panels to the side of window
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 12:08PM
dclostboy
What do you think about natural linen panels for the curtains? One on each end and then single panel between each of the windows.
    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 12:41PM
libbyhart
I like that idea! I wasn't sure what curtains would do for the room... the original roman shades were not my style (too 'fancy' and cut out natural light) so I just took them down. Would a print be OK? or is that too busy? Maybe just stick to prints on the chairs/pillows?
    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 1:12PM
Columns, trim and tray ceiling call for much more formal furniture than the old stuff. Have fun playing!
    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 1:25PM
libbyhart
so, do you think it would be bad if I tried to make it not as formal? This is the main living area, and with three kids under the age of 5... I was hoping to go more casual!
    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 5:30PM
dclostboy
Should be something you can enjoy and use...what did you have in mind for print curtains? Something that echoes rug..only in reverse?
    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 6:16PM
    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 3:44PM
libbyhart
OK! Had to take a break from decorating over the holidays, but now I'm back on it! Our couch is on it's last legs (literally....) and I'm just waiting for it to snap in half when someone sits on it! So, I am thinking leather- but would like something more traditional.... something like this, but with a much smaller price tag:
http://www.leeindustries.com/productdetail.asp?id=036151181097013

Anyone have great, classic leather couch recommondations?
    Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 7:13AM
67domer
I have kids and three dogs, and a ruined leather sofa. After much thought, I replaced it with faux leather from Ashley which has held up for over three years. They have many different styles, although tend to be less formal. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 7:37AM
deniseoliphant
Suggestions for Tuscan window treatments?
We have a home in the Phoenix area and like many homes...
sageviews
To repair or replace 16' columns - And Color Suggestions!
We live on the coast in Texas and are about to start...
medurst
Flooring decision
We are trying to decide whether it would be better...
katefawkes
How to dress the Buffet?
Hello Houzzers! I need some pro help here. I just cannot...
meddr101