Will this look dated in a couple of years?
momthedesigner
Hi, I am re-doing my kitchen and master bathroom. I have always renovated just before selling and so have never had the opportunity to live in a "finished" house. I want to do this reno in my forever house and enjoy living in it, but I don't want to have to redo the kitchen and bath again when I move out. I plan on doing a white kitchen and bath, with marble counters. Very classic and I'm hoping timeless features. I've picked a backsplash for the kitchen and I thought I'd use the same thing for the shower, but now I'm worried that it might look dated in a few years. Thoughts?
romanaj
Old mantra that has never let me down,..Ïf in doubt,"DON'T.In other words, if you think this is trendy now, you might be pretty sure that it wont be in 5 years time.
November 7, 2013 at 8:12PM      Thanked by momthedesigner
sarahhtam
Beautiful tile. I have an all glass version in my kitchen and love it. I think it's timeless, particularly if you choose classic colors-like white.
November 7, 2013 at 8:18PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
pegwaters
This glass has been popular for years and still seems to be running hot. The color is a safe choice. It's hard to know what will look dated in the future. If you like this but are afraid to use it, don't use it in the shower, only use it on the back splash. Back splash will be much easier to change in a few years.
November 7, 2013 at 8:21PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
Carol Ramunno
I think these tiles will be out for sure. If you are using marble, let it be the main attraction and use something more classic like subway tile.
November 7, 2013 at 8:30PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
kathleen MK
I would be afraid of all the crevices to collect soapscum and mildew in a shower. Don't worry about it being dated if you like it. Also think about how it will look with the countertop's pattern. This is busy so the counter should be subtle.
November 7, 2013 at 8:34PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
No it is beautiful.
November 7, 2013 at 8:44PM   
Cheryl Makaro
I saw this at the local warehouse store. I loved it then saw how dirty the display was and how yellowed at had gotten. I worry how it might absorb things like spaghetti sauce etc.
November 7, 2013 at 8:50PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
Ann
I like it!
November 7, 2013 at 8:52PM      Thanked by momthedesigner
claudiann
I wouldn't want it. Too much to clean. I always think of maintenance even when I look at photos in a magazine of rooms.
November 7, 2013 at 8:55PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
sjr
It's very pretty but I agree with your doubts. I think both glass tile and "classic" subway tile will definitely be "the look of the early 2000's. Everybody (almost) is doing either of those . Your choices sound lovely and I wish I could suggest something to use with marble and white cabinets. It's a difficult decision. But personally, I'm hoping not to use either glass or subway tile when I do my backsplash in my new home with my white cabinets.
November 7, 2013 at 9:01PM      Thanked by momthedesigner
Main Line Kitchen Design
All my opinion but:

Marble kitchen counters and marble in a shower need a lot of maintenance. If you want both rooms to hold up over time don't use easily scratched, etched, and stained materials on high use, mold and mildew areas. Save the marble for bathroom countertops, kitchen backsplashes, and bathroom floors and seal many times before use.

As far as style goes. If you use that tile on the kitchen backsplash and do want to change it in the future it's not too hard. Switching shower tile is not as easy.

As far as "timeless" goes - if a style repeats itself over centuries or many decades it can be considered timeless. Shaker doors are popular now and timeless, so is subway tile. Both have repeatedly gained and lost popularity over 50 to 300 years. The mixed mosaic glass and marble tile shown is beautiful and I like it, but it is not timeless. It will be immediately identified as within a 5 to 10 year window of time. I do think it's tasteful unlike other kitchen fads like thermafoil, pickled woods, cathedral doors, or not staggering the grout lines on subway tile, but not timeless.
November 7, 2013 at 9:08PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
Is it real Carrera marble? If it is. It does stain easily. If the fax, that would be better. Not sure how it would wear in a shower. Maybe use the backsplash as a border in shower.
November 7, 2013 at 9:13PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
Carol Ramunno
There are many Carrara look options available in quartz for your countertops if you don't want the maintenance of real marble.
November 7, 2013 at 9:16PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
orangecamera
I wonder if the first generation to put subway tile in their homes worried about it being trendy.
November 7, 2013 at 9:21PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
Main Line Kitchen Design
If only we could ask an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh if he worried that his subway tile was too boring compared to the more dramatic tile popular during his time.
November 7, 2013 at 9:35PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
orangecamera
"What color should I paint my sarcophagus?" ha!
November 7, 2013 at 10:10PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
Nelson Rogers Design
Like Main Line - my opinion - but never do marble in the kitchen - it's not so much the staining but the etching from hard water and anything the least bit acidic - if you just love marble - go with a "honed" finish - it's more forgiving. Glass tile - I don't know I've done it for clients and they love it - especially for a transitional look. Subway tile has been around forever - so it can't be dated. Trends come and go - do whatever you like - that's always my advice. And as Main Line pointed out - a kitchen backsplash is easy to replace. Decorating does not have a 50 year shelf life.
November 7, 2013 at 10:13PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
incubus_of_habit
"I want to do this reno in my forever house and enjoy living in it" = there's your answer. If you're always worried about resale, then it'll never be *your* home.
November 7, 2013 at 10:18PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
orangecamera
@momthedesigner, sorry for derailing the discussion. I really like the tile you've chosen. Yes,I do think at some point people will think it's dated. But who cares? Do what makes you happy! "Home" is such a personal space, so make it fit your personality :)
November 7, 2013 at 10:23PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
Ed
Hi MomTheDesigner, Congrats on your kitchen and bathroom reno. Agree with claudiann about cleaning and maintenance. Many nice suggestions so far. Also agree with Main Line Kitchen Design. But, just my opinion, no need to wait for a few year -- it already looks dated to me right now. :)
November 8, 2013 at 2:21AM        Thanked by momthedesigner
momthedesigner
Thanks for all the great feedback. To be honest, I wasn't actually going to use marble in the kitchen but it seemed like the easiest way to describe what I'm doing. I'm using a white granite on the island (it looks a lot like marble) and a grey quarts or caesar stone on the counters. Everyone had some very valid points. So I won't be using it in the bathroom shower for sure. I'll attach pictures when it's done! Thanks you to everyone who took the time to respond!
November 8, 2013 at 9:20AM     
acm_redfox
Keep in mind that you might not even want to renovate before selling, even if you think your house "needs" updating -- most people who buy will be happy to update (sometimes even if you already have!), and you may not recoup what you spend at that end. Just get things the way you like for you and don't worry about the future at this minor level. A joy of owning is getting to customize!
November 8, 2013 at 9:31AM     
dclostboy
It's not like it's tile painted with chickens...go for it :)
November 8, 2013 at 9:38AM        Thanked by momthedesigner
Creative Ceramic & Marble
LOL-- installed TWO of those this past summer. :-)
November 8, 2013 at 9:47AM     
jmk578
i have the same one in my bathroom. I think its great !!!! My motto is if you dont LOVE IT - dont get it.
November 8, 2013 at 10:45AM     
leelee
I think staying with simple basics will help with a timeless look....but trends come and go and no matter how good something looks now when you FF 20 or more years it could become passe. Go with something you enjoy now and let the next owners decide what they want to do when it's their kitchen & bath.
November 8, 2013 at 10:57AM        Thanked by momthedesigner
Tile Circle
Choosing classic colors like white, grey, or beige will help with not dating your kitchen or bathroom as quickly. Marble tiles like honed white carrara mosaics would actually be a great choice as marble is timeless. People have been using carrara marble for centuries. If you don't choose it for your kitchen, we think it's definitely worth looking at it for your bathroom. Just make sure you seal it well! :)
November 8, 2013 at 2:08PM        Thanked by momthedesigner
I would use it in the kitchen, but not in the shower, for no other reason than too much of a good thing.

I spent a goodly amount of money in my master bath…marble. Absolutely hate it. There are so many gorgeous porcelains available.
November 8, 2013 at 2:14PM     
dclostboy
@creative...maybe chicken tiles aren't dated everywhere :)
November 8, 2013 at 2:18PM     
Beverly Anderson Interior Design
I would use this as an accent in the shower (vertical or horizontal stripe)...a plain white or white marble tile
November 8, 2013 at 2:21PM     
happyasaclam
Our tile man has a regular customer who has him come in and tile some spot everytime she finds a chicken she loves. She gives him a picture, he picks the colors, tiles the area she has chosen, pays him and everybody is happy! He said he does wonder what she'll do when she runs out of spots to tile......
November 8, 2013 at 2:36PM     
chookchook2
I wouldn't get tiles with foxes. I too was confused by 'resale ' being used with 'forever home'. Different decorating for each.
November 8, 2013 at 2:39PM   
Creative Ceramic & Marble
I know it's a little off topic-- but this is one of them (can't find the pics of the other one)
November 8, 2013 at 2:40PM     
dclostboy
I must say...the tiling job above looks rather well done ;)
November 8, 2013 at 2:43PM     
happyasaclam
That may not be marble. It may be a faux marble. I used a glass, "rock" and "petrified wood" accent strip in our new shower and it was gorgous. Another thought, if you decide to use something with clear or light colored glass, make sure the material behind it is white or other neutral color. Contractors frequently make marks or write deminsions on surfaces that will be covered up. Jeff on "Flipping Out" had this happen in one of his very high profile home remodels. LOL!
November 8, 2013 at 2:50PM   
Exterior paint color
White? or Dark color trimmed in White? Siding is...
Need help deciding whether to go with 8 in or 10 in columns.
We're building a traditional colonial home. Our portico...
20' ceilings dilemma
we are considering painting our kitchen, hall and living...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Houseplants - Tips and Tricks to Share
Is your home a houseplant haven? What kinds of plants...