Need help in my kitchen
enaam1
My open plan kitchen with the living room, i am planning to have the sink will be behind the window and tall cabinets and microwave and small oven and fridge at the wall opposite of the living room and the wall opposite to the window will have counter and upper and lower cabinets, i want to make the island in two steps the upper step will be closer to the tall cabinets and will have the stove and oven the lower step will be a dining table that us attached to the island. Do you think it is a good layout
rinqreation
Have a kitchen designer draw this for you (or at least use an online kitchen designer, like IKEA's) and take all required clearances into consideration. Picture yourself walking around in there, especially with a pan of boiling soup and/or bags of groceries, multiple people, running kids, etc. If it still works and your kitchen company (or installing company; gas, elec.) doesn't try to stop you, you'll be fine.
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 1:34AM
I would close off the door in the kitchen and have another access from adjoining rooms to the exterior in order to maximize counter space.
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 5:33AM
enaam1
Here is the different proposal i got from kitchen designers
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 8:42AM
enaam1
And this in my sketch, shall i have the stove in the island or i free the island to have a good working surface, as my daughter and i love to bake cookies and it requires good counter space
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 8:46AM
enaam1
I am totally confused cant decide on kitchen style or color don't know what style will have the more versatility when it comes to open plan, cause i need to make the area cohesive i am not sure how to furnish my living space.. Help please... I like simple luxury Classic but still clean line and i love the decorative molding on the wall and the curvy furnitures. I am not a strait line, i used to think i will love dark wood kichen but after looking at some picture i fall in love with white kitchen, but how i can make white kitchen looks luxurious... Help please
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 8:54AM
enaam1
I cant close this door as i want to extend the house later and create a sunroom, our budget doesn't allow for it now but i just wanted to be part of the plan cause my house is concrete and it is difficult to make an opening in concrete at later stage. If i make the opening from the living room then i have to close off one window to create the sunroom and the living and the sunroom will be like one area i prefer it to be separate areas
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 9:02AM
jordan7
Hi. Since your kitchen is wide I would consider turning my island. Then you have room for 4 bar stools. You also have plenty of space to widen it between the back wall (oven) and the island since it will end up being a hallway as we'll. So be it. An 8' island is better than one turned as you have shown. This is my opinion. Put your sink in the island off to the side so you have plenty of counter space for cookies and entertaining. I personally would rather prep food, make cookies and face the living room. Just a thought. :)
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 10:09AM
jordan7
The island should be in the middle of the room. So you can walk around if from all sides. I have as little as 40" between my island and stove and it is plenty without being crowded. I know the standard is 3' 6" or something but it can be slightly less and still look great. Everyone in my family gets around me at the stove just fine.
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 10:15AM
rinqreation
I'd prefer a seperate table. And less cabinets.
So I made a new scetch of your floorplan. Cooking and washing opposite each other, less walking. Counterdeep fridge in full height cabinets on 'bottom wall'. Maybe barstools, but I'd say shallow cabinets on the living room side, so you have plenty of room to bake.

And I added a kitchen design I made up for someone else (it's ikea's by the way), because I wanted to show the country-classic look with the cooktop in a niche, the layout is similar, but in your kitchen you can walk around the island, keeping walkways open, especially concerning your plans on the sunroom.
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 2:50PM
rinqreation
oops, here it is:
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 2:52PM
enaam1
Thank you all for the help and thank you rinqreation for the sketch, i wanted to add a breakfast table in the kitchen as i prefer round or squire table than sitting on a stool, can i have something like this in the kitchen
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 9:03PM
rinqreation
Is this your main dining table?
0 Likes   November 9, 2013 at 1:15AM
rinqreation
And what are your thoughts on this layout, with a normal table in it?
0 Likes   November 9, 2013 at 1:38AM
rinqreation
And here's another (which I think would not look bad at all)
0 Likes   November 9, 2013 at 1:53AM
enaam1
Your second sketch is something i was thinking about but no one encouraged me to do, they think it will ruin the kitchen space... I think it is fine, since this will be my main family dining area, i have another formal dining room which will be used when guests and relatives visit us.
0 Likes   November 9, 2013 at 10:51AM
rinqreation
Do what feels best to you. Especially if you're planning to stay in the house for a decade or more. It's your kitchen.
0 Likes   November 9, 2013 at 12:56PM
enaam1
Thank you dear for your suggestions they were helpfull
0 Likes   November 10, 2013 at 7:46AM
Need help for my kitchen (my dad's kitchen)
So want to get a kitchen renovation.. What colour do...
Ab Cd
What doesn't need help?! My bathrooms, my kitchen, my laundry room.
My house is from 1979 and it totally looks it. We've...
jamaneault
Need help with my backsplash in my kitchen.
I have flat paneled Benjamin Moore "Chantilly Lace"...
caesarmax
i need help deciding how to trim my windows in my den/kitchen
the window is 72" x 72" , i already installed interior...
ken cornelius
Patio or deck.
Our yard is in need of a patio or deck. The land slopes...
libratravel
how difficult is it to white wash oak stained cabinets?
I have beautiful oak cabinets that are stained but...
stephaniethain
Need help for my living room!
Our living room is very long, with two openings and...
jenellison7
We need help designing a contemporary outdoor deck around an oak tree
The trek decking we installed yrs ago on our rather...
haftna
Need help for my kitchen.
Would like to remodel this outdated kitchen to modern....
lucrecia411