Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enaam1

Need help in my kitchen

enaam1
10 years ago
My open plan kitchen with the living room, i am planning to have the sink will be behind the window and tall cabinets and microwave and small oven and fridge at the wall opposite of the living room and the wall opposite to the window will have counter and upper and lower cabinets, i want to make the island in two steps the upper step will be closer to the tall cabinets and will have the stove and oven the lower step will be a dining table that us attached to the island. Do you think it is a good layout

Comments (17)

• rinked
    10 years ago
    Have a kitchen designer draw this for you (or at least use an online kitchen designer, like IKEA's) and take all required clearances into consideration. Picture yourself walking around in there, especially with a pan of boiling soup and/or bags of groceries, multiple people, running kids, etc. If it still works and your kitchen company (or installing company; gas, elec.) doesn't try to stop you, you'll be fine.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would close off the door in the kitchen and have another access from adjoining rooms to the exterior in order to maximize counter space.
  • enaam1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the different proposal i got from kitchen designers
  • enaam1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And this in my sketch, shall i have the stove in the island or i free the island to have a good working surface, as my daughter and i love to bake cookies and it requires good counter space
  • enaam1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am totally confused cant decide on kitchen style or color don't know what style will have the more versatility when it comes to open plan, cause i need to make the area cohesive i am not sure how to furnish my living space.. Help please... I like simple luxury Classic but still clean line and i love the decorative molding on the wall and the curvy furnitures. I am not a strait line, i used to think i will love dark wood kichen but after looking at some picture i fall in love with white kitchen, but how i can make white kitchen looks luxurious... Help please
  • enaam1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I cant close this door as i want to extend the house later and create a sunroom, our budget doesn't allow for it now but i just wanted to be part of the plan cause my house is concrete and it is difficult to make an opening in concrete at later stage. If i make the opening from the living room then i have to close off one window to create the sunroom and the living and the sunroom will be like one area i prefer it to be separate areas
  • Donna Hudson
    10 years ago
    Hi. Since your kitchen is wide I would consider turning my island. Then you have room for 4 bar stools. You also have plenty of space to widen it between the back wall (oven) and the island since it will end up being a hallway as we'll. So be it. An 8' island is better than one turned as you have shown. This is my opinion. Put your sink in the island off to the side so you have plenty of counter space for cookies and entertaining. I personally would rather prep food, make cookies and face the living room. Just a thought. :)
  • Donna Hudson
    10 years ago
    The island should be in the middle of the room. So you can walk around if from all sides. I have as little as 40" between my island and stove and it is plenty without being crowded. I know the standard is 3' 6" or something but it can be slightly less and still look great. Everyone in my family gets around me at the stove just fine.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    I'd prefer a seperate table. And less cabinets.
    So I made a new scetch of your floorplan. Cooking and washing opposite each other, less walking. Counterdeep fridge in full height cabinets on 'bottom wall'. Maybe barstools, but I'd say shallow cabinets on the living room side, so you have plenty of room to bake.

And I added a kitchen design I made up for someone else (it's ikea's by the way), because I wanted to show the country-classic look with the cooktop in a niche, the layout is similar, but in your kitchen you can walk around the island, keeping walkways open, especially concerning your plans on the sunroom.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    oops, here it is:
  • enaam1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for the help and thank you rinqreation for the sketch, i wanted to add a breakfast table in the kitchen as i prefer round or squire table than sitting on a stool, can i have something like this in the kitchen
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Is this your main dining table?
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    And what are your thoughts on this layout, with a normal table in it?
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    And here's another (which I think would not look bad at all)
  • enaam1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Your second sketch is something i was thinking about but no one encouraged me to do, they think it will ruin the kitchen space... I think it is fine, since this will be my main family dining area, i have another formal dining room which will be used when guests and relatives visit us.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Do what feels best to you. Especially if you're planning to stay in the house for a decade or more. It's your kitchen.
  • enaam1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you dear for your suggestions they were helpfull