Help with Bedroom Decor
mariaed
This is our master bedroom. The jumping off point is this quilt my mom made which I adore. It doesn’t show well in picture but the colours are those of easter, clear not mudgy or muted (I mention this is the colours don't show well in the photos). The main colour is periwinkle. I painted the side tables perwinkle with CIL Rosyln’s blue (CP34- 49BB 51/186 W/B). The walls are currently pale yellow cream (Behr 320A-1eggnog) which I think maybe a mistake but am so tired I could leave it for now. The floors are an orange-ish oak. The overhead light and edging of closet are an ugly metal bronzy colour which I don’t want more of. I would like the mood to be happy, quiet, sunny, gentle, optimistic. Like a quiet Sat morning when you wake up refreshed and think happily about fun things that lie ahead.

1) Suggestions for lamps?
2) I’ve included a picture of the type of headboard I’d like. (I have allergies so anything upholstered is out of the question and I need something solid as the outside wall is cold and I don’t have cash to re-insulate wall at this point.) My question for you--what colour for headboard—white, periwinkle or wood?
3) What colour should dresser be? White?
4) Window treatment ideas? (They need to block out light for sure.)

Thank you.
mariaed
This pic is what I'm thinking design-wise for headboard--two posts and straight in between.

The other pic here is the awful closet door mirror edging colour. A change of doors not in plans.
November 8, 2013 at 8:43AM     
mariaed
Hmm...maybe this pic shows the colours more accurately of the quilt...
November 8, 2013 at 9:30AM   
Anne
Beautiful quilt.
I think I'd pick out the blue as a main color, since it's "restful," and very much a bedroom color.
November 8, 2013 at 9:32AM        Thanked by mariaed
White furn would work. Add taller lamps to each end table. Get a headboard in white. You have enough blue. Can you frame that picture so it larger hang 6" above headboard. Get white sheets high thread count over 600. Then fold your pretty quilt back 1/3 of the way add more sleeping pillows in white pillowcases. To mix. Lowes carries room darking pleated shades or get the roller type. Add panels on window. Those could be black out to. put on rings so easy to open (lowes carries) and shut. Use a cream color solid. Full.
November 8, 2013 at 11:49AM        Thanked by mariaed
Hang a nice chandelier where light is in ceiling. Drop dn. a white drum style would work. 20".
November 8, 2013 at 11:50AM     
Panels go to the floor.
November 8, 2013 at 11:51AM   
No small art n walls over dresser add a small round mirror instead.
November 8, 2013 at 11:52AM   
lauravdmd
Hfg
November 8, 2013 at 11:52AM   
You might find a bigger pic. Does not have to be yr colors. But a restful seascrape is nice . Framed 24x24
November 8, 2013 at 11:53AM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The quilt is very pretty but the colours (like periwinkle) could tend to look a bit childish so I suggest making the room feel more mature by choosing a green. This shade is very calm. Repaint one of the night stands white (and change hardware) and replace the other one. Different night stands will give the room a more adult feel. Paint the dresser white and change the hardware to update it. Hang some silk curtains the same colour as the wall to make the room feel like a retreat. Move the frame over the bed to over the dresser and hang one small frame over each night stand.
November 8, 2013 at 6:51PM        Thanked by mariaed
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Some taller lamps. Some mirrors for over the bed.
November 8, 2013 at 6:53PM     
Genevieve
its a beautiful quilt that's for sure :) I would paint the room like this
Contemporary Paints And Stains

Maddie Bed
then add a head board , you could go with white to keep the same colour going for the furniture, you could paint the dresser white ,for the window .....Trellis Curtain Panel Linen Voile
Country - Cottage Saint Louis Heights Antique White Table Lamp
November 8, 2013 at 7:38PM        Thanked by mariaed
happyasaclam
Love Lydia's headboard and the mirrors. They compliment the quilt very nicely. I like the paint color of the room in your headboard inspiration pic. With all the bright colors in your quilt a bright or pastel wall color would look too juvenile. I'm not to sure about curtains with a pattern. I do think they need to have color and texture, but too bold of a pattern may clash with the quilt pattern. If you went with a lamp like Lydia's the metal on the closet door might seem less ugly to you. Same with the nightstand. What it boils down to is I think you ought to listen to Lydia! I think she has it pegged! Oh, and if anyone has any ideas about what to do with the ugly metal trim around the mirrored closet doors, please post it here! I have the same problem, except the metal finish on mine is black and is worn off in some places and peeling in some places. So, mariaed I can relate with you on the door frames!
November 8, 2013 at 7:46PM        Thanked by mariaed
Supreme Floor Company
Yes.. to the head board. Or a pewter one..look at SW jubliee blue.. restful blue good luck...
November 8, 2013 at 8:00PM      Thanked by mariaed
chookchook2
Paint your Headboard same colour as side tables. If allergies always use low V.O.C. Paint. Like your yellow wall. Contact a wardrobe company to see how much it would cost to replace the bronze mirror edging with a silver colour. It should not be a big job. It is a very happy room, you are doing very well choosing colours from your quilt. Pick a med- light green from the quilt and use it for lampshades and a cushion. We have allergies here and it is springtime so I can relate. Thank you for reminding me , I need to go and take my anti- histamine now!
November 8, 2013 at 10:51PM      Thanked by mariaed
katinahat
mariaed: your bright, happily coloured bedspread picture was not an accident and shows your appreciation of colour. i would suggest your comment about the bedroom paint choice is because you feel you may have 'wimped out'.
i love most of the comments you received especially about the white furniture--this is a perfect choice if you feel your paint colour may be a tad bright [not in your case. yet.] it also unites the various items in the room, useful if pieces are eclectic choices. and looks great against any paint colour.
i have 2 suggestions: 1. make the headboard considerably taller than the one you show-- it lends more significance to the bed. and/OR 2. consider treating the quilt that you love with a bit more 'respect': hang it on the wall from a metal rod as a piece of art and use solids for the bedding. also negates the need for insulation for the present. you can always change useage from time to time or for a 'seasonal' lift.
lydia's green is lovely--it will really 'pop' the pink in the quilt if that is your choice. your initial colour choice would give you the look you mentioned if you had been just a bit more adventurous :) although all-white furniture could make the existing colour work--i'd definitely try that first as i think painting the furniture/headboard will make the biggest difference in the room.
and please take travis' comments about the bedding to heart--that is the best and quickest way to make this room special.
have fun
November 8, 2013 at 11:23PM      Thanked by mariaed
mariaed
Hi,
Thanks everyone for the comments!

Just to clarify (wrt to Lydia's comments) . The thing I find challenging is that I love what everyone considers "kids colours".

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. Having recently repainted the night tables, chosen the handware for them which I love, and recently purchased the painting for above the bed, they will be kept.

However I do wonder about drapes/blinds because of the busyness of the quilt. And I'm wondering what colour for drapes. I think Lydia's idea of wall colour seems good, travis's cream and like the white light ones in the pic suggested above. But could I confirm, does everyone think blue print or blue solid for drapes would be a mistake?

I appreciate Genevieve's suggestions for lamp and like it. I'm concerned I may not be able to find something similar or convince my partner to go for it. Any other lamps ideas?

Thanks chook chook for idea to look into frame replacement for mirror door. If I follow your blue suggestion for the headboard, what colour do you suggest for dresser?
(I admit I'm a bit torn as I have suggestions for both white and blue headboard! At least no one has said go with wood yet.)

The dresser was from a garage sale years ago and I am quite willing to replace.

I can do Travis's suggestion as I already have the white sheets (though 500 count;).

Thank you all!
November 9, 2013 at 7:14AM     
mariaed
What do think of the head board in this one? (I would not keep the footboard, I am too tall). Is rounded a mistake when the painting is rectangular?
I like the square one suggested but am still trying to find a relative cheap source for it.
November 14, 2013 at 8:57AM   
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Lydia's green for the walls is a great choice...it will give depth & sophistication to the room. Then, to keep the fun spirit in there, I would choose the headboard below. Your artwork will work beautifully above it. Use swing arm lamps over each nightstand to keep the surface clear & give that wall more importance & depth. Keep your window treatment as is...you don't need any more heaviness with the size of the room & with the green walls, they will look fresher. A simple white dresser. Turn down your bed in thirds as suggested above, exposing your pillows & sheets in white. Add a simple yellow coverlet at the foot of the bed.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/8-button-Tufted-Jojo-Yellow-Headboard/8338744/product.html?refccid=5CTXOR3CPYRJLQCMJHEFNOQ5VY&searchidx=17
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Swing-Arm-1-light-Plug-in-Antique-Pewter-Wall-Lamp/8230077/product.html?refccid=EBBEIDN74AOIW4KOKK54RAGMH4&searchidx=36
http://www.valuecityfurniture.com/kids-furniture/kids-furniture/dressers-chests/plantation-cove-white-chest/1586313.aspx

Ooops...I just saw that you're allergic & didn't want upholstered headboard...I'd chat with the Overstock advisor & see if the materials are non-allergenic...
November 14, 2013 at 10:58AM      Thanked by mariaed
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The curve of the headboard would be fine with the painting but the headboard I posted is from Target and quite inexpensive. http://www.target.com/p/naples-headboard-white-full-queen/-/A-12197457#prodSlot=medium_1_3
mariaed
Lydia--thanks. I'm in Canada and where I live we're still waiting for target to open here --they have been renovating the old zellers bldg for a while in preparation.
November 14, 2013 at 2:12PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I also live in Canada......Montréal to be exact. Funny about Target......the one near my house hasn't opened yet either!
November 14, 2013 at 3:40PM      Thanked by mariaed
mariaed
lol! Small world...I suspect Genevieve is too. It's fun to be able to talk to people from all over (Canada, States, etc) and get tips on decorating.
November 18, 2013 at 2:42PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
It really is! Have you made any decisions for your bedrooom?
November 18, 2013 at 6:44PM   
i need help with decorating my bedroom
- my colours are purple white black green and blue...
Help with paint/decoration ideas for girls bedroom
Just bought a home, looking for paint suggestions and...
Master Bedroom Decor - Help Needed
Hello Houzzers! Need your help in picking: 1....
Need help decorating four bedroom house
Help choosing wall colors and floor covering and furniture....
Bathroom Fixed Opaque Window
Hello everyone, I need some help for a fixed opaque...
What color to paint wall
I love nimbus, gray owl and stonington gray. This will...
Basement idea
Need ideas for space, tight budget. Drop ceiling going...
Backsplash drama
I just changed the counter top but not crazy about...
Need help with exterior colors!
The house itself is a simple country cottage. The...