Ugly Dysfunctional Kitchen Gone....New Functional Kitchen Done!
littlemjs
November 8, 2013 in Before & After
Bought my house 3 years ago. It took 3 years to do lots of renovations. The kitchen was the last big one! It was not only ugly, but dysfunctional in flow and space. We first opened the wall between the kitchen and dining room to see what kind of light and space we had to work with. Then we removed everything from the kitchen and went to work. The final results show an amazing transformation! The first two pics are of the old kitchen. The last two are of the new one. All comments and questions welcome! Thanks!
Wooden Window
Very nice. The only suggestion I would have might be to make the island top granite and maybe paint the backside with blackboard paint, if you have kids around...
November 8, 2013 at 11:23am     
aliasanita
I like how you made the kitchen U smaller and added a table and chairs.
November 8, 2013 at 12:07pm   
Cheryl Makaro
The only differently I would have done is remove the upper valance/ bulkhead and put in full height cabinets
November 8, 2013 at 4:58pm   
edithsmom
Cheryl, I think they kept the original cabinets. Little, I like the way you extended your counter space & cabinets with the peninsula and island. Looks like a good economical update.
November 8, 2013 at 6:45pm   
littlemjs
The cabinets are new solid wood. the old ones were pressed board with plastic contact-like paper that was lifting and cheap. I didn't want the ceiling height cabinets. I kept them at a height that I can manage. I'm short and can't reach the top shelf at the current height, so I didn't want to make them taller. :)
November 8, 2013 at 7:35pm     
littlemjs
Aliasanita, you are looking at the old Kitchen. The new kitchen is shown in the last two pics. :)
November 8, 2013 at 7:37pm   
lauriaj
I think it looks great, but it does need some color! I LOVE the clean look of white there is so much with the countertops I think it needs something different on the walls! Possibly a color that ties in with an adjoining room? Looks beautiful though!
November 9, 2013 at 7:50am     
Andrew Smith
It seems darker with all the can lights. Do you find it shadowy, or is that just the way the picture makes it look?
November 9, 2013 at 10:12am   
littlemjs
lauriaj, you are right! It does need color. I'm slowly trying to add that. I've added some colorful throw rugs on the floor and I'm going to add some colorful artwork or pieces on the wall. The reason I went with the lighter Benjamin Moore sailcloth color on the walls is because the room is in a darker area of the house and I wanted to keep things light. I've attached a picture looking back form the kitchen to the family room area. I do have an accent wall on the end wall and used the same color on the door from the garage and on the soffit above the cabinets. Not sure if my pics show this very well.
November 9, 2013 at 10:49am     
littlemjs
Andrew, the canned lights are on a dimmer and I turned them to low when I took the pic. When they are turned all the way up...the kitchen is very bright! :)
November 9, 2013 at 11:04am   
maccar88
I like the reno. The cabinets are similar to the colour I have in my kitchen and it was suggested to me since I did not want to paint them(I love the colour), to paint the island in a contrast to bring some color into my space. My Reno is not done but yours looks great. Take your time and bring color slowly trying different things like silk plants and art. In the end you have to like your space. Enjoy!!
November 9, 2013 at 11:24am     
Lynette Mitrovich
Awesome. Love it
November 9, 2013 at 9:54pm     
Kitchen Remodel: Dysfunctional to Functional
Our old kitchen was cramped and difficult to work in,...
New (to me) stucco home- small non functional kitchen
Today was my first day in my new old kitchen (90's)...
My family needs a new, functional, pretty kitchen!
We've got a kitchen that dates back four decades (yikes!)...
New house! Help me with ugly kitchen on a budget
Just bought our first house, but the kitchen is a real...
New Kitchen Island ugly, Can You help
I gave a picture of what i wanted. its very close to...
Have you tried feng shui?
I would like to know if anyone - especially anyone...
Choppy co-oop floor plan
How do you design living room given small space and...
Help us tone down natural oak color of cabinets by painting walls.
Our new home has very yellow looking oak cabinets in...
Space for small dining room table
Hello, I need some help in deciding the style and...