need help with remodeling basement for our 8 grandkids to hang out in.
Patrice Conradt
I am looking for ideas to help redo our basement so our grandkids have a place to hang out in. We have 8 grandkids with 5 of them between 7 and 15. Any suggestions on how to set up a basement so they would have a place to hang out in and a place to do crafts or activities. Thanks for any suggestions.
Photos and floor plan of the basement would be helpful.
   November 8, 2013 at 4:36PM
the essentials inside
I agree w/Dytecture.

Also - how many girls? how many boys? Is there an activity they all like to do?

~Lyvonne
1 Like   November 8, 2013 at 4:48PM
Patrice Conradt
Here are some pictures. It is messy. We have a daughter and son-in-law moving out. I plan on taking up the carpet and probably do wood laminate. The weights will be gone and I am working on getting rid of the pool table. The kids are girls 7, 10, 11, 15 and a boy 8. There are also 3 little girls that will want to go down there at some time they are 1,2,and 3. The girls like crafts the boy just likes to run around or do wii. I am just at a loss as to how and what to put down there so that they have a place to go.
   November 9, 2013 at 12:11AM
katinahat
well, you DO have a challenge!
definitely get the kids on board by finding out what they need vs. want-- have the 15 yr old take an active part in the planning and watch them all interacting in the space. what do they like about it now??
would the younger ones like a 'stage' to perform plays or music? very important to identify storage needs: toys,games,activities!!
ask. you might find someone would enjoy working out with weights!
for the younger ones multi-level spaces are fun and flexible; think right-angled bunk beds with furniture underneath [like ikea], beanbag chairs? think foam mats that double for pajama parties, bouncing tv watching . . .
your existing flooring seems to suit various activities now--remember laminate flooring can be very noisy both from direct contact and from a hard surface rebounding sound like an echo.
you've got an interesting space--consider a 'quiet space' for the 15 yr old--does she ever bring friends over? do the younger ones?
i think the china cabinet especially should go. sorry.
have the kids design a feature wall, like painted handprints with names/dates. a measuring wall-- or better yet a board that can come down if you move. have an artist paint a mural from a favorite story, hang all the pictures i see in a 'field of flowers' with the faces as flowers. the room will be the first place they run to "see what grandpa's done!"
   November 9, 2013 at 1:18AM
rinqreation
Make sure the window can easily be openend in case of emergencies.
   November 9, 2013 at 3:29AM
creeser
Will it be strictly for the grandkids? If so, I'd take out the adult items, like the weight bench and china cabinet to free up more room for their stuff. Keep things bright with vibrant colors. Shelving with storage bins for craft items. A long table to work on their crafts. Bean bag chairs or floor pillows as kids seem to spend more time on the floor than on the furniture and they can pull them around where they need them. A large chalkboard instead of wall art. Maybe replace the rug with some carpet squares so they can be replaced if damaged. And more lighting.
[houzz=Urban Sophisticate- Transitional Home in Wrigleyville]
[houzz=Private Residence - Rochester]
[houzz=Buckhead 3]
[houzz=Aurea Residence]
   Thanked by Patrice Conradt    November 9, 2013 at 4:22AM
Patrice Conradt
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. There are 2 other rooms in the basement. One of them is a bedroom. The other is full of storage still from my daughter but will be cleaned out. It has a lot of storage space. I was thinking of making it a craft area along with a storage area to maybe keep some of the mess they make contained. We will be taking all of the furniture out and replacing. Also planning on painting if anyone has any suggestions for colors that would be great. My husband will occasionally spend some time down there watching TV so am planning on putting a seating arrangement down there. The 15 year old will probably spend most of her time in the bedroom to get away from the little ones so I want to do something for her there. Attached is a picture of the bedroom. We also have a bathroom and laundry room down there.
   November 9, 2013 at 6:37AM
katinahat
consider putting the bed against the wall, creating a 'day-bed' with pillows as a backrest. it has a sophisticated feel for a teen. if you don't need to keep the large bed for company, how about a twin tucked into the bookcase corner--functioning headboard and storage already done!
i would unify the room with all white trim rather than mixing wood and paint and also include closet doors. add a favourite colour on the walls, of course and something to support a favourite activity-- like a large mirror for a dancer, or . . .
   Thanked by Patrice Conradt    November 9, 2013 at 7:10AM
rinqreation
I'd suggest making both seperate rooms bed-&chillout-rooms, so when the youngest ones need to take a nap, the other room can be used to relax in too. And great for the holidays with a house full of family. Or do you have more guest bedrooms? A craftcorner with a different flooring might be a grood idea, so it is clear where you draw the line, but someone watching tv can keep a lookout.
   Thanked by Patrice Conradt    November 9, 2013 at 1:04PM
cgmgmn
What a great space! I would try to create separate areas ( or set up so they convert for variable purposes easy), comfy tv area, a separate video game area, a game (board game/card/craft table), toy area set up with a little kitchen set. I would keep pool table, fun for visiting adults and soon to be teenage grand kids. Try to have toys they don't have, makes grandmas house special. I like the 2 guest rooms for older kids or naps as suggested earlier. Lay it out in paper first to get size and scale right.
   Thanked by Patrice Conradt    November 9, 2013 at 6:01PM
Patrice Conradt
Thanks everyone. Ii gives me a lot to think about. I do have a couple of extra bedrooms upstairs. One is set up as a play room for the little ones with chalkboard/magnetic wall and toys. The other bedroom has a twin bed and crib in it. I just don't know if there is enough room downstairs to create separate areas if I keep the pool table. It takes up half of the basement which is valuable space.
   November 9, 2013 at 7:52PM
Patrice Conradt
I really like the upper left room that creeser posted above. I like the storage space and chalkboard. Maybe a low table with pillows to sit on or ottomans maybe on one end of the room and adult seating area at the other end. This would mean getting rid of the pool table which my husband is not wanting to do tho.
   November 9, 2013 at 7:58PM
cgmgmn
I think the pool table/ping pong will come in handy sooner than later and I'm guessing the grandkids don't have one so it makes it unique to your house. My 2 cents they take space though! in terms of separate areas, the bedrooms will be able to help you create spaces for the varying ages and interests. We love our "game" table as we are card & board game players- creates fun, affordable, family times.
   Thanked by Patrice Conradt    November 9, 2013 at 8:04PM
katinahat
while i detest sexism and generalization, your family is currently weighted to the female gender and although some boys like dolls and some girls like pool-- is there enough interest to invest that square footage? perhaps grandpa has the biggest interest and as it's his house everyone can suckitup and get over it. perhaps move it to the end of the space and turn at 90 degrees. not the perfect spacing for a good game but ok for practise. move it back in a few years :)
   Thanked by Patrice Conradt    November 9, 2013 at 8:46PM
Patrice Conradt
Katinahat I agree with what you are saying and grandpa does probably have the final say so we will see. Your suggestion of moving it may work if we keep it. Thanks for your suggestion.
   November 9, 2013 at 9:04PM
bears72
Bright colour rubber squares for floor, Lego (see photos - kids - Lego) and a tent or some sort of play house to hide in or curl up on a bean bag chair and read.
1 Like   Thanked by Patrice Conradt    November 9, 2013 at 9:32PM
katinahat
don't be afraid to use the ceiling to rig a drop tent/ backdrop for stage/ privacy curtain. and YAY to bears! i've never met a girl who didn't like a tent, canopy or fabric ceiling--do you think it's our inbred 'princess' coming out?
   Thanked by Patrice Conradt    November 9, 2013 at 10:09PM
Patrice Conradt
Yea, I have a canopy hanging from the ceiling in the toy room upstairs for the little ones.
1 Like   November 10, 2013 at 8:36AM
need help finishing our basement remodel.
We've done the big stuff, now trying to finish with...
Need help in remodeling our basement
Previously used our basement as a game room. It is...
Remodeling our Basement...! I need ideas please
We are putting ARDESIA BLUE tile on our basement floor...
Our laundry room and basement are SCREAMING OUT for Reno help!
We have unfinished basement so the floor is dirt. Everything...
What do you use to wash your windows and how often do you do it?
This has got to be one of my most dreaded chores, but...
Sectional or Two Sofas
I am so torn on whether to purchase a sectional or...
Two coats v one coat of paint
New home to us, 8 years old. I have two quotes for...
Need Help with finishing Living Room Dining Room combination
These are pictures of what I have done so far. I am...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...