what to use for a mantel behind a wood stove?

JanetNovember 9, 2013
The original plan for this area was rock under the stove and running up the wall. We just took up the stone flooring underneath because we weren't happy with how hard it was to keep clean. This time around we are going to build an elevated base for the stove with a slate surface and want to run slate up the wall as well. The outlet high up was designed to plug in a light on a mantel by the way. I love the look of wood mantels but am nervous having wood so close to the stove pipe. I am looking for ideas for metal mantels or anything else fireproof. Any ideas? I would love to see some pictures! Our house is colorful, funky, rustic and eclectic so pretty much anything goes : ) Thanks in advance!
dclostboy
Let the stove and slate shine...no mantel needed.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 9, 2013 at 10:18AM
Adrianne
This is Burt McDonald he is the best wood carver ever.. He comes from a family that does wood carving. Truly amazing. We contract him for anything that needs to be artistically carved for the cabinet company I design for.

The second picture shows the foot board using the telephone posts. The round dots are year markers that he gathered from the posts from the posts that he used in the bed to decorate. II believe this is a pine and he has some varnish on it... This was reddened and he also torched this wood. He was very unhappy with the result but it's what the customer wanted for their cabin.
Before he stained, varnished and torched this wood was amazingly gorgeous.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 9, 2013 at 10:25AM
Adrianne
You could do something a little more industrial.. maybe a metal railroad truss look.. maybe aged corrugated metal?
Mountain Primitive Modern · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 10:41AM
Janet
I fear it would harder to keep dust/cobwebs off but like the idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:03AM
Janet
I love that carved wood but am worried about exposure to heat over time. We heat just with wood so things get hot! We have some barn beams that would look fantastic but I'd be scared to use the stove : ) I'd like to see more metal ideas
1 Like    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:17AM
Adrianne
You could do 3-d plaster wall panels and do a reclaimed pine mantel..

Decorative 3D wall panel - Wave · More Info

new products for interior decor wall panels & wallpaper tiles · More Info

3D Wave Wall Paneling · More Info

Reclaimed Pine Mantle · More Info
    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:25AM
Adrianne
You might get some cracking in the wood.. But it might go along with the character.
    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:28AM
incubus_of_habit
A mantle doesn't make much sense with a wood stove, IMHO. You also need to keep code in mind...typically a wood stove requires no combustible materials for a certain distance around the entire stove.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 9, 2013 at 12:03PM
Janet
Right! That's why I am asking for metal ideas
    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 12:17PM
ciscomom
Hi, I'm on my ereader, haven't figured out how to attach houzz photos, probably super easy to do. Anyway, I saw a photo on Houzz with a woodstove, slate floor and wood mantel. If you search for Nguyen Architects, it was on their page...Smith House? I also just saved it to my page as an ideabook called "Woodstove Mantel". You could try a search for woodstove mantel or even metal mantels in the photos and might get some more ideas. Good luck
    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 4:31PM
brickln
I'd be afraid the metal would get too hot! What about slate with a glass tiled wall, or vice versa? I agree it really isn't needed.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 9, 2013 at 4:46PM
ciscomom
Okay! here is the photo of the slate floor, wall and wood mantel. You can probably ask the architect about it from his ideabook.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 9, 2013 at 6:30PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
Here is a mantel I designed for a free standing wood stove a few years back. We used a combination of 12x12 slate tiles, slate chair rail tile and metal deco tiles.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 10, 2013 at 9:00AM
Janet
what a great look!
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 9:02AM
Moonlite Enterprises
Getting Ready To Deal With the Same Thing. Looked at Pre Made Panels from Northern Tools catalogue, Sheets of Steel with insulated spacers Mounted on Walls, Now thinking about The Corrugated Metal Idea $$$$$$$$0Budget
1 Like    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 9:36AM
Janet
Yep! time and money, always a trade off. At the worst, corrugated would be an in between step that might be fun to play with. Sometimes I have been grateful that I waited to complete something because it gave us more time to think about materials or how we were going to use a space. We used to have a woodstove like that - I liked it so much that it still has basement space even though we replaced it. Also a little jealous of your cooker : )
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 12:31PM
Moonlite Enterprises
I Was Going To Take a Sheet of Corrugated and roll it with Train Wheels To Flatten It Out! It Seems Like I Never Finish on a House This One is For a Lady I meet Lori, on Disability! Wait To you see the stove With The Covers! Lori has made Dinner For Use A Couple of times Came out Good!
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 12:52PM
brigand
Janet. A word of caution. If you are using an old wood stove it may not be up to code and as such not eligible for fire insurance. That is something to check.
All modern wood stoves that are code have very detailed instructions regarding clearances to combustible materials (CM) including mantels. You can also use double wall stove pipe which reduces the distance allowed to CM.

I have a modern wood stove which has a heavy cast iron facade which acts as a very effective heat shield. Mine is set up in a corner and the corners of the stove can be placed at 3" from CM according to the manual. I have it 7" away as it just looks better. I used the double wall pipe up to the ceiling fitting and from there it is in an insulated steel flue inside an additional steel surround which allows zero clearance. The temperature of the surround never gets hot to the touch.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 10, 2013 at 1:30PM
Janet
Thanks for the comment! We have checked with local codes and the store from where we purchased the stove about clearances and so on. We've been heating just with wood for 15 years and have 3 stoves on 2 floors. I do have a lovely old "round oak" stove but don't use it any more.
I'm mostly interested in pictures of mantels that are not made of wood. I realize a mantel is not necessary but think it would be a good way to display pottery. It's possible that I am overthinking the combustibility factor but I've seen enough sparks fly over the years : ) If $$$$$ was not an issue I'd have a masonry stove. I haven't run into the double pipe idea before - cool!
    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 4:14AM
ciscomom
Tustin Kitchen · More Info
While at CHil Design Group · More Info
Designer Goes Retro · More Info
Colony Ski in/Ski out · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 11, 2013 at 5:13AM
ciscomom
Wine country kitchen/family room · More Info
Contemporary Vermont Farm House · More Info
Mountain Primitive Modern · More Info
Traditional Bedroom · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 11, 2013 at 5:20AM
ciscomom
Idaho Lake House · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 11, 2013 at 5:22AM
brigand
Have you ever thought of concrete? Nothing more fireproof!

Build a mold, use some stucco wire to reinforce it. You can color it, wet or dry. If you used a cove molding in your mold you could create an interesting profile. If you line the mold with 10mil plastic it will have a very smooth surface, or use rough boards for an rough hewn look.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    November 11, 2013 at 6:50AM
Moonlite Enterprises
Thought About Concrete, Sheepshit, Gunite,
    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:43AM
Janet
Thanks for all of the ideas folks - I'll post a pic when we're done!
    Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 3:51AM
Janet
Well we finished the tile - still working on cleaning up the grout (first time grouting for both of us) no metal mantel as yet, but as luck would have it one of the nephews friends who came to help move the stove works at a metal shop - so we will figure something out. Thanks for the input everyone!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 9:33AM
ciscomom
Janet, thanks for taking the time to post the photo. This is a perfect backdrop for your stove! I feel your grout pain; but it's a great result, so definitely worth it.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Janet    December 23, 2013 at 7:23PM
Sheila Sevenstar-Horn
I am looking for pics of finished projects for walls behind wood stoves. I have fire proof panels and not sure what I should to with them.
    Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 11:22AM
Sheila Sevenstar-Horn
I apologize for the orientation of the pic, It keeps rotating on me
    Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 11:23AM
Paint flow throughout the house
So we just bought a new house and the interior is painted...
Moxiemom
I need to find a mirror to put over the console table
My console is 48 inches wide, I have 9 foot ceilings...
ntrama
kitchen layout
right now sink is on wall next to fridge and the stove/oven...
mommyshanti
How should I redecorate my daughters room?
My daughter will be going to college in a few weeks,...
kc1997
Bed room redecorating!
I'm redoing my small purple bedroom. I have a vanity,...
egc613