Help with ugly bathroom

joevnoreNovember 9, 2013
We could use suggestions on fixing up so many rooms in our recent foreclosure purchase. I am starting with the kids' bathroom. We plan to replace the toilet and shower unit but not sure with what yet. I may keep the tile but can't wait to repaint. Any ideas for wall color to go with all the blues? Also, what's the best way to clean up the grout in those tiny tiles? I could maybe paint the wall tile? Would love input!
howellmsue
I see three choice for wall paint color, white, a pale grey or a very light version of the blue that is in the tile. Whatever you choose I would keep it light.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 9, 2013 at 1:28PM
joevnore
Thank you! I was considering white or grey. . Would eventually love wainscoting where the blue wall tiles are. The swirly blue paint job has got to go. ;)
    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 1:48PM
Piff
There is so much character to that tile, and it's quite dark, I'd go with white paint. It'll set it off nicely and keep the bathroom as bright as possible.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 9, 2013 at 1:59PM
joevnore
Thank you, the current counter ( Formica ) is white and vanity too. Do you think it would be too much white? I am considering replacing the formica or painting but may just clean it up to save money because it isn't stained or nicked. The sink doesn't look like it will clean up but I haven't tried yet
1 Like    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 2:12PM
Piff
Not really. For me, a bathroom is one of those places where there's no such thing really as too much white. Also the walls are mostly tile, at most a third white it would be. Plus it seems like the floor tiling isn't white either. Plus plus (lol) it sounds like you're flipping it? White really is the best way to go for people to see themselves in a space.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 9, 2013 at 8:50PM
joevnore
That makes sense. And white looks so clean. I think white it is then. We are not flipping it. We will be living there and have 60 days to get it ready -yikes! It needs so much work. But it has good bones, is a 1970 brick rancher surrounded by oaks in a great area but we don't have experience with this! Learning every day.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 4:25AM
hayleyhartshorn
Definitely white on the walls but be careful what shade you use as you don't want it to stark that it makes your other old whites (vanity) look dirty. Good luck :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 10, 2013 at 4:43AM
Piff
Oooohh congrats on the purchase! Sounds like you guys got yourselves an excellent home. Definitely agree with Hayley, be sure to choose a white that works with your vanity. Enjoy the updating process!
    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 10, 2013 at 5:23AM
dclostboy
I like the vintage look of the toilet...new seat and you're good to go?
    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 10, 2013 at 5:34AM
apple_pie_order
I recommend getting a professional tile cleaner in for the floors. Have them clean up the sink and bathtub, too, and any other tile in the house. They can do wonderful things. Here are some great before-and-after photos: http://www.groutsmithoftulsa.com/photo-gallery/
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 10, 2013 at 6:11AM
apple_pie_order
This drill brush attachment can be used with a cordless drill. It is fun. http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-ACC_201_BRUSH_MD-Surface-Attachment/dp/B003TU662Y
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 10, 2013 at 6:14AM
meiliemh
Keep your projects inexpensive but classic looking, as the money will go fast with all of the various projects.

Cheap, quick fixes such as using white paint to brighten and neutralize the room will also allow you to add themed artwork that can be hung on the wall and buy replaceable shower curtains that the kids can enjoy. A poster of a favorite celebrity can be hung above the toilet.

Clorox makes a tile cleaner that gets rid of mold but be very careful with the fumes, as they are very strong and extremely good ventilation is needed. Dilute the formula to be safe and NEVER use it with other chemicals such as ammonia. This combo is VERY toxic and can put you in the hospital. Open windows, turn on exhaust fan whenever using volatile chemicals and if needed, wear a mask that is approved for chemical use.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 10, 2013 at 6:24AM
joevnore
Thank you all! Really appreciate the help. Apple pie - those pictures were amazing. Gave me hope for my tile, which really does have tons of character :). I will check out the recommended cleaners as well Melliemh. Dclost boy- the toilet is really stained and gross inside, I just don't see hope but then maybe one of the cleaning type companies mentioned by apple pie could help. I tried to scrub the vanity but it is, unfortunately, stained beyond even comet and major elbow grease. So, any suggestions on a vanity style would be appreciated! I guess it would need to be the same size because if I changed to something smaller there wouldn't be tile to match (or is it tiled under there? Sorry for ignorance!)
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 6:50PM
apple_pie_order
If the stain on the vanity is rust, you can try Barkeepers Friend. Let it sit an hour or so. It has oxalic acid which will react with the iron oxide. Barkeepers Friend runs about $3-$4. Worth a try. Keep away from kids. Follow up with paste car wax for shine.

Another terrific stain remover is Clorox Clean-Up. Follow instructions carefully and keep away from kids. Wear clothes you don't mind getting bleach spots on. It does not work on rust stains.

Gel Gloss is also a superb cleaner and protectant. Sometime sold in home centers. It is worth buying if you have laminate surfaces. http://www.gel-gloss.com/ Keep away from kids.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 10, 2013 at 7:12PM
apple_pie_order
You can replace just the laminate surface for the vanity. The vanity itself looks to be in good shape from the photos. If the faucet and sink also need replacing, consider getting a package deal with the countertop and sink, then pick your own faucet. I like Moen for faucets. Choose their midrange quality for sturdy, easy installation.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 10, 2013 at 7:21PM
apple_pie_order
You might also try nail polish remover on the stains. It contains acetone, a good solvent.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by joevnore    November 10, 2013 at 7:25PM
need help remodeling ugly bathroom
just bought this house with this "en suite" master...
Katie Allison
Help my ugly 5x9ft bathroom
We are gutting this bathroom and starting fresh. It's...
lounge4495
Ugly bathroom help...
We don't like the dated slate tiles in our bathroom...
missstacyj
Help revive my ugly bathroom
I bought my first home an apt in Manhattan. I need...
lvdream2
Need help for a cold, ugly indoor pool bathroom!
We just moved in and there is a toilet and sink in...
Jayne
Bathroom
Which looks best?
767tex
KITCHEN COUNTER TOP SUGGESTIONS
any recommendations/suggestions on what type/style...
robertsontg
My new white glass table looks green. I need help!
I am decorating my condo in gray and white. I supposedly...
lingol
Trying to extend our patio
We planned to extend our patio out last year with 16x16"...
marenwilli
How can I elevate the curb appeal of this log cabin?
We are planning to purchase this log home and I am...
Ginger Zambrano