Help needed for playroom!
ashleyfloyd1
I want to make this room fun and functional for my family. We have a two year old boy. Thoughts?
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
As it is now, this is a waiting room. I feel a family needs tables, lamps, artwork and toy storage.
November 9, 2013 at 2:11pm     
ashleyfloyd1
Colour suggestions? We just bought this house and beige is EVERYWHERE
November 9, 2013 at 2:20pm     
bjens
Great space! You could add color with poster-sized artwork, throw pillows and painted furniture. Boys like plenty of room to play, so leave a lot of floor space in an out of the way corner otherwise they will build/play in traffic areas. Shelves and cabinets with room for storage and sorting toys/books so they can, theoretically, find things on their own and put things away (eventually). Some kids don't want to go play by themselves no matter how tricked out the room is. Mine always wanted to be in the middle of the action, so maybe keep the decorating more on the grown-up side if you'll be hanging out there a lot, too.
Have fun with him as the years will fly by quickly!
November 9, 2013 at 2:41pm     
Kari Palomo
This is fun:
November 9, 2013 at 3:23pm     
November 9, 2013 at 3:24pm     
cjohnston
Perhaps something like this:
November 9, 2013 at 3:27pm     
happyasaclam
If its main purpose is to be a playroom then go with Kari P.'s and sieglerdesign's suggestions. They are so imaginative, playful and fun! Even grownups will feel comfortable hanging out there. Great for having his friends over, too.
November 9, 2013 at 3:51pm   
bears72
Check out the all the photos on houzz under Lego for great rooms my 10 year old grandson just wanted Legos for his birthday so they are timeless
November 9, 2013 at 4:15pm   
thedesignscheme
Organization and storage is key in a playroom, but select pieces that are too "childish" so when your son is older he will want to have friends over to hang out.

Use your TV wall as your main storage space. I would suggest either hanging floating shelves or buying tall bookcases for both sides of the TV. Under the TV (on the floor) I would suggest 2 storage ottomans (this will also provide extra seating for friends/guests). These things will both provide toy storage. For aesthetic purpose I would put baskets for the toys on the shelves or get a bookshelf with doors (like a tall cabinet).

If you need seating in the space (for TV watching) I would keep your current sofas, they look like they are in good condition and leather is durable and wipe-able. Sofas will be a must-have for TV watching when your son is older too.

Do not put anything in the middle of the room (like a coffee table). Kids need room to play, create, and build things.

If you need more lighting, do wall sconces above the sofas.
November 9, 2013 at 4:19pm     
thedesignscheme
If you want to go all-out playroom, this is what I would do:

First off, you're going to need to move the couches somewhere else to make room for fun, kids stuff.

Second, think about what your son likes to do and find a way for him to do those activities in this room.

Remember: leave the middle of the floor empty, for playing.

Keep the TV wall as toy storage space (with shelves/bookcase, as mentioned in my other comment).

Ideas:

1. Arts and Crafts table:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321111473262?lpid=82

or
http://www.ababy.com/itempage.asp?itemid=12651&tracking=fgle3&utm_source=fgle3&utm_medium=fr&utm_campaign=datafeed&gclid=CNiZrb_52LoCFcYRMwod3z0AAw

2. Have a Chalkboard wall (or part of the wall).

3. Make room for a fort or tent.

http://lindsayandandrew.blogspot.com/2011/08/frame-pup-tents_11.html

and make the fort cool with Christmas or rope lights.

4. Display art masterpieces. Hang a wire on a wall and use clothespins to hang up art work.

5. Have a marble run.

If you don't own a marble run make one of these (paint part of a wall with magnetic paint and glue magnetics onto the marble "track" pieces):
http://creativeconnectionsforkids.com/2012/01/fun-with-a-marble-run/

or
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/17381148534577726/

6. Get a slide. Toy cars go down it and kids go down it, its fun.
November 9, 2013 at 4:50pm     
happyasaclam
I would definitely add a table and chairs! Our kids and then our grandkids used their tables and stools until they were too big to use the table even when sitting on the floor!
November 9, 2013 at 4:55pm     
A Crew of Two
A soft teal on the walls could be really nice. I think if you moved the seating closer to the TV, then create space behind the sofa for eating, game playing and toy storage this would give the room a division and purpose and keep the toys away from the front of the TV. For the walls- get out the finger paints and let your son play Picasso. You can add to the art as he grows. Some fun and colorful floor pillows. Basement Family Room Keep Calm & Cute Kids Bathroom Hallway with Kids Artwork Displayed Velvet Chartreuse Floor Pillow Stratton Blue HC-142 by Benjamin Moore Grande Blanche Plymouth Espresso Leather Tray Top Storage Ottoman
November 9, 2013 at 5:15pm     
happyasaclam
All great ideas, Crew!
November 9, 2013 at 5:30pm     
happyasaclam
Both are adorable, but I WANT YOUR DOXIE!!
November 9, 2013 at 5:48pm   
ashleyfloyd1
Keep it coming guys! Thanks so much! I almost have a full plan!
November 9, 2013 at 5:49pm     
sweeps22
something like an ikea hemnes sofa table under the tv for storage of toys. How about chalkboard paint on part of a wall?
November 9, 2013 at 6:37pm     
chookchook2
Siegler you need that holiday, and paracetamol. No more chairs, put a slide instead. Not inflatable. My son bit holes in all inflatable play stuff.
November 10, 2013 at 5:20am     
happyasaclam
Had to look up papaceramol, chook. Not what I thought it was, lol!
November 10, 2013 at 7:09am     
Michelle Castillo
We have a similar playroom and I sat for days trying to figure out what to do. Then I remembered I am a teacher and so I decided to arrange the room like my kindergarden classroom so it's inviting, functional and organized for small ones. You def need shelves such as the ones mentioned from ikea. You can find them at target as well. Then get a few different colored bins. Display games, bins of blocks, playdoh all the things your son plays and learns with throught the day. His some in bins because kids get bored with the same toys and this way you can rotate the display toys. Also need a small table and chairs for art and play. A must is a reading nook area. Make this a fun section by a book shelf or display of books. Have a colorful rug and then throw some oversized pillows it beanbags for comfy reading spots. In another corner you can lay a rug that has roads and this can be the area for blocks and cars. This area I keep separate because it's never going to be neat and you want the pointy cars in an area you and your son aren't tripping or stepping over. Keep your sons perspective in mind when decorating. Kids that age don't remember all the toys they have so having things at their eye level is great. Bins are perfect for quick pick up and organization.
November 10, 2013 at 9:08am     
Remote Stylist
Ashley can you snap pic of other side of room? Are you keeping sofas? What colour are they? Both sofa or sofa love seat? Any other furniture in room? We have lots of kid friendly pieces at remotestylist.com so can easily give you ideas but need more direction and visuals
November 10, 2013 at 6:32pm   
LB Interiors
I like Kari P's room. And ideas from 'A Crew of Two'
November 10, 2013 at 6:59pm   
Hooplaroom
You'll nee a piece of furniture to put some toy boxes inside to organize the toys. You can also have a couple of bigger bins on the floor for the ''big'' toys like balls or stuff animals. Bean bags always create a comfy, relaxing atmosphere and is a nice addition. And finally, since it's a playroom, I would add some FUN on the wall with a mix of your son's art and canvas prints or wall stickers. I attach some pictures but you can go check out at www.hooplaroom.com
November 10, 2013 at 11:34pm   
Remote Stylist
Ashley how did the plan turn out? Do you need any product options?
November 18, 2013 at 8:07pm   
HELP...PLEASE Need Help with Basement/ Playroom
Hello All, I am having trouble deciding what to...
Playroom color help needed
I am starting to design the playroom in my house. I...
Need help with my third floor (of 3) guestroom/playroom, paint/lights
I would like to update this room, which was an office...
Need help transforming old playroom
We have a room above the garage that falls somewhat...
Yay or Nay? Indoor fairy lights
Are you a fan of using fairy lights indoors? The twinkle...
Blank slate living room - I'm lost!
My husband and I just moved from a small apartment...
Help with colours for dining room table and console table!!
Hi! We need to buy a dining table set (to replace the...
Help! Color needed in my beige living room!
living room
The room is our "living room" although we really don't...