Which light for the foyer?
justine7700
I love these two pendants. The first one is 23 inches wide and the second one is 12 inches wide. I need help picking which one will fit better in my foyer. I like the smaller one a little better, but I have a hunch it might be too small.

The foyer is at the top left corner. It is about 5.5 feet about 9.5 feet (not including the width of the stairs). The ceiling height is just under 9 feet.

Thank you!
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Go for the larger of the two as the light will be cast further, assuming the ceiling height is sufficient. The bottom of the fixture should be at least 72" off the floor but more would be better.
November 9, 2013 at 2:52PM        Thanked by justine7700
Mark
A fixture around 16 inches would be ideal.
You should have at least 84 inches from the bottom of the fixture to the floor. There are many people over 6ft and 72 inches is not enough clearance for them, you would have people bumping their heads on your fixture.
November 10, 2013 at 2:41AM        Thanked by justine7700
chookchook2
Big and bold
November 10, 2013 at 2:48AM      Thanked by justine7700
I love the larger one. The smaller one is even "small" in its design
November 10, 2013 at 3:50AM      Thanked by justine7700
lasa
Mark is right clearance is key here, as this light will not be over a table. Go for the smaller one. You are going to need some room for the chain. With a 23 inch circular fixture you will have too short a chain the proportions will be off.
November 10, 2013 at 4:06AM      Thanked by justine7700
dclostboy
Given the volume, the smaller one might be slightly undersized...but will work. The larger one would have to be hung too high and still overwhelm the space.
November 10, 2013 at 6:09AM   
kcar66
if you want to have it noticed....the bigger of the 2
November 10, 2013 at 6:18AM     
dclostboy
Guys...what are you thinking? If you want to hit your head, choose the larger one. With ceilings under 9 feet, it will come down to seven feet even if you ceiling mount it. With minimal chain (6 "), it will come down to 6.5" and your 6' guests will feel like it's in their faces.
November 10, 2013 at 6:35AM        Thanked by justine7700
chookchook2
Very good point dclostboy
November 10, 2013 at 7:08AM     
printesa
Even though I love this light, I wouldn't choose it for your hallway. You have only 2 feet height to work with, so having something round with just a bit of chain, will not look too great. You might want to look into something that is about 16" wide and has some either some branches or is a bit more random in shape...I don't know if it makes sense...I'll try to find something
November 10, 2013 at 7:22AM      Thanked by justine7700
printesa
Here is an option,,something similar to your choice. It's 18" wide and 22" height http://www.lampsplus.com/products/eurofase-infinity-18-and-one-half-inch-wide-bronze-and-gold-chandelier__3k120.html
November 10, 2013 at 7:33AM   
printesa
Would you also consider something that is flushed or semi-flushed to the ceiling?
November 10, 2013 at 8:33AM     
justine7700
Thank you everyone! I just checked my plans, and my ceiling height is 8'6". We are a short family, so we might be able to get away with a little lower height (but we don't want to go too low). It sounds like the ideal length of any fixture would be 18", but maybe we could push it a tiny bit. Here are the dimensions of lights that I like:

1. Small original pendant - 13.25" high, 12" wide, so the chain would need to be around 5-7"
2. Rattan fixture - 14" high, 12" wide
3. Globe with crystal on the bottom (can be removed) - fixture is 14" tall (don't know if that includes the crystal) and pictured with 8" rod, also comes with a chain so the length is flexible; 12.5" wide
4. Flush mount - 12.25" high, 15" wide

Thoughts on those options? Or, I am still open to other ideas. I would love to keep this fixture less than $350. Thanks!
November 10, 2013 at 11:08AM   
printesa
They are all nice.I really like the second choice (the rattan looking one). That would also cast some nice shadows on the wall
November 10, 2013 at 11:13AM      Thanked by justine7700
gardenarian
I'd go with the smaller one. A too-low fixture will be a source of constant annoyance. Ask me how I know :-)
November 10, 2013 at 11:24AM      Thanked by justine7700
dclostboy
I'm sorta digging the fourth one. Traditional elements brought together in unexpected way.
November 10, 2013 at 11:25AM      Thanked by justine7700
szafranski
Where did you find the original one?
November 10, 2013 at 11:28AM   
printesa
The fourth one is nice, too. It would probably be a better choice. Here is another http://www.eurostylelighting.com/eu2t276.htm
November 10, 2013 at 11:47AM        Thanked by justine7700
justine7700
@szafranski I found it on build.com http://www.build.com/capital-lighting-4233/s876703
November 10, 2013 at 1:57PM   
szafranski
November 11, 2013 at 4:08PM   
Where should I put the tv - mantle or wall?
Bought a new condo, now I just need advice on where...
Rounded vs square corner walls. What's the current trend?
We are in the process of building a new home. Our...
Help!!! Penny -Tile Installation looks awful!
I came home from vacation to find the new bathroom...
Sarona carpets?
Looking to recarpet in lounge, dining rooms and bedrooms....
Need help designing a kiva fireplace with an woodburning insert
I'm building a house that I want to decorate with a...