My Forever House plans!
simmermom
So, planning ahead but could use some advice on if things flow with this :) Let me know what you think! How the kitchen could be set up better- I'm not happy with the master suite at the left rear of the house- the octagon in the front is the library and it stays as is. Do the colors work? All the fun stuff :)
simmermom
Here are the colors...
November 9, 2013 at 3:11PM     
simmermom
And the kitchen cupboard stain I like...

November 9, 2013 at 3:13PM     
simmermom
Hmm! Are most of the pictures upside down for anyone else?!
November 9, 2013 at 3:13PM     
mefor
Hi simmeremom :)
November 9, 2013 at 3:14PM     
mefor
Yes, some are upside down. :)
November 9, 2013 at 3:15PM     
mefor
Love the kitchen cabinets, what color is the finish?
November 9, 2013 at 3:16PM     
mefor
I like the mix of colors, have you decided where they're all going?
November 9, 2013 at 3:17PM     
simmermom
Hey! You beat me here :) I'll try retaking those pictures... Apparently there's disagreement about the stain- it seems it's called Silverhill.
November 9, 2013 at 3:17PM     
mefor
I love the gray brown stains, they mix so well with lots of colors.
November 9, 2013 at 3:19PM     
simmermom
The dark green is for the guest 1/2 bath; the two lighter shades are for the hall and the mbr.
November 9, 2013 at 3:20PM     
simmermom
Yachtsman is for the sitting room.
November 9, 2013 at 3:20PM     
simmermom
Oh dark green for the library too
November 9, 2013 at 3:21PM     
simmermom
Celery root for the kitchen, maybe. I may rethink that now I've found the cupboard stain- I'm not sure it'll go and I'm pretty set on that stain :)
November 9, 2013 at 3:23PM     
simmermom
And roasted garlic for the family room? I'm not really sure about that and the laundry/mud room... Mud room will be a LOT of tile!
November 9, 2013 at 3:23PM     
simmermom
Trying again...
November 9, 2013 at 3:24PM     
simmermom
Closer...
November 9, 2013 at 3:25PM     
simmermom
Mstr suite...
November 9, 2013 at 3:26PM     
mefor
What color tile in mud room?
November 9, 2013 at 3:26PM   
mefor
Are these benjamin Moore colors?
November 9, 2013 at 3:27PM   
simmermom
I'm not sure! Probably white tile. And I've been putting a big in hubs' ear about BM but now it's Valspar.
November 9, 2013 at 3:33PM     
simmermom
But it won't be all tile- just 1/2 or 3/4 way up the wall.
November 9, 2013 at 3:34PM     
Just stopping in to say hi but I am not a good one to work off blue prints, I need visuals;)
November 9, 2013 at 3:36PM     
mefor
I just want to pull up the colors to see them a bit better.
November 9, 2013 at 3:37PM   
simmermom
Thanks for coming by, though! I do appreciate it. :)
I have a hard time visualizing final product, too.
November 9, 2013 at 3:38PM     
mefor
What's the name of the dark green?
November 9, 2013 at 3:38PM   
simmermom
It is Chimney Stone
November 9, 2013 at 3:40PM   
simmermom
The pic I uploaded looked more "hunter green" than it actually is on the chip.
November 9, 2013 at 3:42PM   
mefor
Hmmm, looking at two different pics of celery root, which would you say is closer to the actual swatch you have?
November 9, 2013 at 3:43PM   
simmermom
Oh! I uploaded a pic of the wrong blue-ish shade. I'm liking Yachtsman ar1227 more.
November 9, 2013 at 3:44PM   
simmermom
Actually- on my screen the chip I have looks smack dab in the middle of those two. Not overly green or taupe either.
November 9, 2013 at 3:45PM     
mefor
Poo, I have a sherwin williams deck that I've found to match the my perfect color swatches very well. But for some reason, there aren't many good examples of valspar colors at all, and since I don't have a fan deck for valspar, I can't find a good one to choose.
November 9, 2013 at 3:50PM   
mefor
How do these look? :)
November 9, 2013 at 3:55PM     
simmermom
They look just about right on! Celery needs a tad greener undertone but it's the right feel overall :)
November 9, 2013 at 3:56PM   
mefor
Have you looked at green tea latte? It's a lovely color, if you look at the swatch with colors that mix well with it, there's a gray brown color, very nice together
November 9, 2013 at 3:58PM   
mefor
I'm talking about for kitchen, the gray brown color on swatch is similar to kitchen cabinet finish.
November 9, 2013 at 3:59PM     
simmermom
It is very pretty! Not quite as neutral as I was looking for, though.
Bad timing! Have to go grocery shopping :/ Will definitely be back, though!
November 9, 2013 at 4:00PM     
simmermom
Ah! I see! Yes that's nice! And funny because it's quite similar to my current kitchen color. See, we're on the same wavelength already! Haha
November 9, 2013 at 4:08PM     
simmermom
Groceries obtained and children put to bed! Any other insights?
November 9, 2013 at 7:01PM   
Have you resolved how the exterior roof is going to look like with all the angles happening?
November 9, 2013 at 7:47PM   
simmermom
It's not going to be simple, that is for sure! I need to get my layout if how I'd like the interior to be, and my husband- who is actually the qualified one in our relationship lol- will refine it and do all of the building/code/load bearing walls/rooflines that need to be done. And change what I have laid out if need be...
November 9, 2013 at 8:23PM   
simmermom
I'm slightly devastated. The house design that was my inspiration in terms of the exterior was apparently taken off the market in the past month or two so I don't have a good inspiration pic to show you. This one is quite blurry. Also, we'll be going with more Craftsman inspired lines rather than the barn-looking ones here. Obviously not going for a true Craftsman house, though.
November 9, 2013 at 8:29PM   
simmermom
Oops- pic:
November 9, 2013 at 8:30PM   
simmermom
Are there any flaws I've missed with the kitchen layout?
November 10, 2013 at 7:02PM   
architectrunnerguy
What's going on beyond the walls? Always a big mistake to stop designing at the walls. Stop designing at the property lines. Think of the lot and house as one. I've posted some samples in an ideabook.

Also, I'd switch the master closet and bath. Get some natural light in that bath for crying out loud!
November 11, 2013 at 2:53AM   
simmermom
Oh my word- how did I not see that?! Yes! I will be switching the bath and the closet! Thank you so much for the tip. I was focused on keeping the plumbing on the same wall for cost but had to put the sink on the other side anyways, so it doesn't really matter. Awesome catch! :)
November 11, 2013 at 12:47PM   
simmermom
As for the property- that's one of the great unknowns! We know what type of land we're looking for but are still on the hunt.
November 11, 2013 at 12:48PM   
architectrunnerguy
Get the property THEN design the house. When you walk out and get in your car you know where you are going. You don't walk out, get in the car, and then think "Now where shall I go?" do you?

It's perfectly ok to collect ideas either on line or through magazine clippings but there's a danger of overlooking unique qualities a property might offer if too many ideas are preconceived.
November 12, 2013 at 4:19AM     
simmermom
@calmsea I really debated whether I felt like spending my time responding to you. I may be making the wrong decision by doing so because I abhor confrontation but your comment was condescending and a great deal of it irrelevant and I really didn't want my thread to end at your comment. Issues like architectrunnerguy pointed out with the bathroom are exactly why I came to the Houzz crowd for another eye.
As to your points: How is the title of my post relevant to the design of the house at all? Also, "don't start with the pillowcases"? Really? Because that's so totally what I did.
As to all of the items you listed off as what I'd need to know about the property- we know the answers to all but one and that is sun orientation. And we'll have lots of options as to how our house will face concerning it.
Most houses have four corners? Perhaps some do; I would definitely say it is NOT most houses. But that's irrelevant anyways. We don't care what most people do. If we wanted a four-cornered, cookie cutter house, we'd be moving to a suburb and buying a mass-produced house that looks just like our neighbors'. No one builds houses this way and get an architect? I've already said that my husband is qualified to design houses. He's going to take this- the rough idea of what I want (as I also said above)- and make sure that it all works and refine areas where I'm off; and he says it's on track to being ok. How many degrees and years of graduate school in the field do you have to know whether he is wrong despite his? Will it be different from other houses and more complicated/difficult to build? Yes, we do realize that. And if that was your concern, you could have stated it more clearly and kindly.

As to buying the property first as architectrunnerguy suggests, I understand where you're coming from. But we do know precisely what we are looking for and we are waiting for it so, for us, we plan to move ahead with the rough draft of the house. And the plan is fluid in many ways. We don't have to go to an outside architect or anywhere else to get the plans authorized so changes can be made easily and without expense any time before construction starts.
November 13, 2013 at 11:28PM     
Nancy Walton
Simmermom-- Go ahead and design your dream home, I spent ten years designing my dream home before we eventually built it! I had plenty of time to draw, to think, and decorate in my head before we ever took shovel to soil. Our house came out exactly as I envisioned it, and our builder made adjustments as necessary to conform to code, and even some things that were better than code! We did not hire an architect, as the building supply place had their own, in-house designer, who made sure that all of our beams were of the right size, etc.

Good for you, for standing up for yourself!
November 14, 2013 at 12:34AM     
simmermom
@Nancy Walton - thank you, so very much, for your kindness. I just appreciate it more than I can express.
I'm so happy that you got your house of dreams! There's something so special about planning and sacrificing for your future and meanwhile having fun with your family envisioning the home you hope to spend your lives together in :) Congratulations to you!
November 14, 2013 at 8:08AM     
keesra01
I think this plan is a bit similar and will help you when making tweaks to your plan. It is similar in that you cannot see the kitchen from the front door, Master suite is on the main floor and to the west, and back hall has laundry and powder room. You could use the bonus room upstairs as an office space or a fourth bedroom. You may start thinking about making the third room upstairs more of a "flex space" as opposed to a set in stone bedroom. These go by names such as "bonus room", "recreation room" etc. You may even think about pre-plumbing for a wet bar in the flex space if you are not going to have a basement, and it would be a nice secondary space to hang out in. And of course you could use it as a bedroom if you needed to, but keeping it a little larger as a flex room will give you more options. I work for this homebuilder, and would be happy to answer any other questions you have to the best of my ability. Quality Crafted Homes specializes in forever homes, and as such I know how important and personal the planning can be.

Good Luck!
http://www.qualitycraftedhomes.com/floor-plans/1-12-story-floor-plans/77-CarriageHousePlace
November 14, 2013 at 8:30AM     
simmermom
@keesra01 That house really carries the feel of what we are going for! Even having a porte cochere connecting the house and garage which I didn't even include in my picture. And you noticed some of my "musts." I hate that my current front door opens into the kitchen and I do not want it visible from the door again. And I want informal dining, and kitchen connected to a family room. And master on ground floor! Thanks for sharing this- I'm going to be studying it, for sure, I appreciate you taking the time to link it for me :)
November 14, 2013 at 7:37PM     
keesra01
You're welcome! Let me know if you need anything else or have any questions, I am always happy to help. :)
November 15, 2013 at 10:43AM   
Lampert Lumber - Rice Lake
Hi simmermom,
There is nothing wrong with working on and designing your DREAM house, even before you have a specific lot or property if you know what you want anyways! :) And don't feel like you're the only one... I've had a running list of specifics I want in my future house for years!
There are a couple things that never hurt to keep in mind, though. Establish a budget (and stick with it!) because there are too many people I know that bite off more than they can chew. This doesn't mean you can't have what you want; there just may be a little scaling down or alternatives to consider, necessary. One thing I often get from my customers is when they point at a floor plan and say "How much would this plan cost?”. My response is always "How much does a bag of groceries cost?". Just something to think about... Not only are you working within certain parameters, but what you put in your house and the finishes you chose will have a huge affect on your overall cost. They're usually the most expensive things in any project anyways.
Also, I think it always helps when people try to visualize the space. And by that, I literally mean getting out the tape measure and staking out specific spaces in your dream home to help you get a sense of the space you're envisioning! Don't feel silly about it either, there's a lot of money that you and your husband will be putting into this, so make sure it's really what you want! Things to possibly ask when doing this might be "What view will I have from this room?", "What furniture arrangement would work well with this space?", "Am I getting the most practicle use of space with this current layout?" and so on... Remember, anyone can have an interesting house. But if it lacks good flow from one space to another, doesn't have sufficient storage solutions, and doesn't meet the purpose you really need it for, then the space is wasted.
You should check out the article “So You Want to Build: 7 Steps to Create a New Home” by Bud Dietrich that’s on Houzz. He’s got a lot of great pointers in it that I think will certainly help you and anybody else wanting to build their next home.
And @keesra01, what a great floor plan find for simmermom! I might just save it for my own references!

Good luck! Hope all turns out great! :)
- Ally @ Lampert Lumber
November 15, 2013 at 11:19AM     
Tub reglazing
We have a master tub we don't really ever use sure...
Need help with my family room
Hi, My daughter is a dancer and we do not have a dance...
How to update old dark stained cabinets?
I have a 25 year old house. The cabinets have been...
Backsplash question
Would you tile above the range hood here? Thinking...