Please help me find a bed.
erasistible
I am in the process of decorating my bedroom I have the dressers, night stands and rug. I am trying to select a bed that bridges the different styles. I am thinking of getting the bed that matches the dressers and adding silver leaf or glaze to the details of both the dressers and bed. I am also considering a padded headboard with a wood frame but they seem very expensive for what you get. I am showing pics of my nightstands, rug, and dressers. The matching bed is being considered. Thank you for your help.
sieglerdesign
I love it. Go for it. Forget messing with embellishing wood or anything like that. Instead spend your time on finding wonderful bedding and outstanding art AND framing. For the style you are liking, I think it calls for amazing art, mats and framing. Those can be expensive items so, save resources, time and energy for making that happen! Now after that if it feels like you still want a little more glam then think about crystal overhead ceiling light, amazing night table lamps or an amazing wall treatment behind the bed. Have you ever seen a wall of "silver leafing"? It can be gorgeous and while the materials (silver leaf) are not cheap, it is something you could attempt yourself. I see a lovely, lovely room happening here!
November 9, 2013 at 10:21pm        Thanked by erasistible
1807henry1
Maybe a rod iron bed? I have always heard that every bedroom needs one good chair, also mix and match pieces. Got to have some great lamps, plus see how painted furniture would look. It's also great to collect things over time. Hit the thrift and consignment shops. When you see something you like- grab it before someone else does!
November 9, 2013 at 10:23pm     
chookchook2
Agree with both comments.
November 9, 2013 at 11:07pm     
erasistible
Very good advice. I do tend to over think things sometimes. I considered an iron bed but was afraid my pillows would fall through the gaps. My room is kind of small so I need a low or no footboard. I already have my bedding. You cannot see it very well in the pic but there is a touch of blue in the design. My walls will be blue. You nailed it when you knew I was looking for a bit more glam!
November 10, 2013 at 7:14am     
touchadream
I had a padded headboard made by a local upholstery shop and it was less expensive than buying from store or online. You might try that. Plus you have more fabric choices.
November 10, 2013 at 7:32am        Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
I will be switching the green pillow for something a little bluer. I could paint my standing jewelry box as it is dark and a little nicked up. Cream with maybe a stenciled design. I have a vanity bench I could put beside it with art hanging above. I also do'n't know what to do about curtains. I like to see sunlight in the morning and Hubby likes it dark. I think that maybe he just doesn't want to be hit right in the face by light. I could always add heavier drapes. Are sheers considered to be dated? Would unlined curtains look cheap? I have to put my bed in front of a window so I want to get what light I can from the other one.
November 10, 2013 at 7:37am   
erasistible
I found this headboard. I like it but I don't know if I like how the side looks. It is not all one piece. Price is very reasonable though which would leave more money for art and decor. It is priced around $550.
November 10, 2013 at 7:42am     
erasistible
I will post a pic of the room tomorrow--after I tidy up and make the bed. Ha! I have to get ready for work. Will pop in in a few.
November 10, 2013 at 7:59am   
happyasaclam
I love your bedding, rug and nightstand. I think if you want to add some silver leaf, go for it! You can wait until you have the major stuff done and do it at your leisure so you can evaluate how far you want to take it. I like the padded headboard idea. The one you have pictured just doesn't say "glam" to me. I think it needs to be more padded and have big, puffy tufts with large covered buttons. Make it very plush. I would take touchadream's suggestion and see what an upholsteter would charge. If your bed is on a metal frame you can have it bolted to that frame and not have to buy the whole bed with the side pieces. Paint that jewelry box to match the cream in your bedding! Great idea.
November 10, 2013 at 8:04am     
Kathryn Peltier Design
If your room is somewhat small, I would not go with another big, heavy wood piece. Either a wrought Iron piece, because it is open and lighter feeling, or an upholstered headboard, in a light color, would be nice. Have you checked out the usual suspects, like Overstock? Also, if you are a little bit handy, there are many tutorials out there on how to make a headboard - really not very hard, even if they're tufted.
November 10, 2013 at 9:15am     
erasistible
Kathryn Peltier Design, do you like the padded headboard shown? I agree about another dark piece. If I go padded, I like a wooden frame. I think it helps relate it to the dressers. I am trying to find my style too. I think that maybe what I want is a polished look with a little bling. Would a more tuft-y headboard look better? I don't think I could make my own headboard because I want the frame to be wood and I want the design to have curves.
November 10, 2013 at 9:40am   
sieglerdesign
The initial bed impacts me with a lot of presence and power. I feel like it says something about the ambiance you wish to pursue. If that bed was not the room focal point, do you feel like you would have the "dream room" that speaks to your aspirations? I really hate to see an initial cohesive concept watered down and compromised too, fast. Space considerations are primary, as visual, physical and spiritual breathing space will always be important on many levels in a space which is your respite and renewal place.

However, because it is your bedroom and you are feeding your spirit as well as making a pretty room, I might compromise on maintaining exact spacial allocations in order to hit the right "spiritual notes". You know this is the part where it takes experience and discernment in order to know when to break the rules and when to stick to tried and true strategies.. My gut is telling me you NEED more than pretty and pleasant here. You need WOW. So, my goal and filter for you going forward would be for you to personally pass every decision thru a filter that asks "will this decision meet MY WOW aspirations"? Then answer yourself and move on! Maybe you will change and move away from WOW to something else like "soft" or "refined" etc... maybe not but, I still really like your initial concept and think you did a good job.
November 10, 2013 at 9:45am        Thanked by erasistible
Mark
erasistible I think the headboard you posted is the best option. It ties in your wood bedroom set and a padded headboard all in one. I actually like the headboard without the tufting.
November 10, 2013 at 9:48am        Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
Here is my Pinterest Bedroom board. Almost everything is in my price range. Yes. I do want some WOW. Sometimes I focus on one thing that I love and forget about the other things and how they would work together. I have a feminine style for sure but I don't want that to take over and make Hubby feel uncomfortable. Also, I know that everything cannot be WOW. Where should I focus the WOW or distribute the WOW? Can WOW simply be unusual? There I go; overthinking everything again.......Posted pics of a couple of other headboards. http://www.pinterest.com/erasistible/bedroom/
November 10, 2013 at 10:07am     
erasistible
Oh my! Look at the time. Must dash off to work. Thanks for all of your help!
November 10, 2013 at 10:08am   
Genevieve
Consider making your own head board to save some money ,
http://www.ehow.com/how_4760319_make-button_tufted-queen-headboard.html
November 10, 2013 at 10:13am     
Kathryn Peltier Design
erasistable: I do like that headboard. Does it give you enough bling without the tufting? Personally, I think it's a very nice compromise between a heavily tufted, very feminine looking piece and the very heavy wood bed. It gives you the exposed wood frame you like, and it gives the softer fabric look and I think it will stand the test of time. Going with a little quieter headboard, too, will make your nightstands stand out, too. Do you have lamps? That is the other thing that can bring in some interest. I love your bedding, and I would try to find lamps - maybe glass - in the same color as the blue in your bedspread. Use a plain linen-type shade to match the bedding. Maybe something like this style: http://www.cococozy.com/2010/11/cheap-to-chic-light-blue-glass-lamp-is.html
November 10, 2013 at 10:53am     
discerningeye
Like you, I have wood furniture (inherited) in my bedroom. To offset the mid-dark wood tone, I removed the wood headboard, kept the frame. I searched high and low for a reasonably priced padded headboard which would not break the bank. Costco.com and westelm.com were the two most reasonable headboard options. I chose the elephant gray/mid tone neutral leather (2 height options) from West Elm. Price range is $400-$800. Hope this helps.
November 10, 2013 at 11:14am      Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
Well lets not loose your man's voice here. I have designed for men clients in commercial work for years and they are pretty straight forward, consistent and clear to work with for the most part. If room to still reflect a "male" essence then I think you should run choices related to bed by your partner. The bed is big important focal point and should reflect both of you. Its a pretty significant element and I think the first bed you showed us you had selected with him in mind too. Men in general appreciate simple and substantial items and that first bed you showed is very substantial. My feeling was that it was strong and had some masculine ambiance and weight to it but, that the bedding, art, lamps and nightstands would balance that male energy in a very good way. Women do hold up half the sky and I bet your guy knows and wants you to be happy. Lets not forget him! Okay men this is your cue for input....
November 10, 2013 at 12:02pm     
erasistible
I found this wrought iron bed. It has a nice and tall headboard, low profile footboard, and it looks like a solid panel behind the pillows that would keep them from falling out. Hubby likes it too. I am just going to have to narrow it down and pick one. It would make my room interesting to have glass, wood, and iron components.....
November 10, 2013 at 8:12pm     
erasistible
I have no lamps or drapes either.
November 10, 2013 at 8:13pm   
sieglerdesign
That bed is amazing. Who is the maker? Pick bed first and lamps and drapes will be easier. You can silk look drapes that are actually polyester but, good fakes.
November 10, 2013 at 8:30pm   
sieglerdesign
I wonder if you google celadon green lamps, if that is the color or shade you are pursuing as your accent color?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=celadon+green+lamps&FORM=HDRSC2
November 10, 2013 at 8:36pm      Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
The bed is from JC penny! The headboard is 62" high, which is good since I have 9'ceilings. Also, the posts are not too heavy. I saw a couple of beds similar to this but the heavy posts seemed to overpower my delicate nightstands. I know the bed should be the most important thing in the room, but I have these really tall windows and I want to be sure that I can dress them nicely. I may even be willing to spend more on that than on the bed. Sound weird? I think it is because it is my favorite thing about the room. I have always made my own curtains for this room because it was costly for me to buy 108" drapes. I have a better budget this time around and I want something nice and special. I do like that bed.....
November 10, 2013 at 8:53pm   
erasistible
Thanks for the lamps, Sieglerdesign! I am looking now.
November 10, 2013 at 8:55pm   
MarleneM
You found the perfect bed. Love the wood and iron look together. What about these lamps? I thought the distressed look would create an interesting look with the mirrored night tables.
Traditional Table Lamps by Chatsworth Lighting Lamps Plus
November 10, 2013 at 9:07pm        Thanked by erasistible
MarleneM
Oops, I think something didn't work.
]
November 10, 2013 at 9:12pm        Thanked by erasistible
Kathryn Peltier Design
Just my 2 cents: I think I like the headboard better because it isn't so busy. The bed, I think, is quite ornate and dark and will compete with your bedding.
November 11, 2013 at 5:29am     
discerningeye
My 2 cents, seeing multiple options and sleeping on it (no pun intended), helps me decide what is best. That said, I am attaching a few tufted headboards(no footboard) and simple lights. Good luck!
November 11, 2013 at 8:20am        Thanked by erasistible
discerningeye
Perhaps a couple of other headboard options and table lamps will help you decide if the scroll headboard is best for you. Good luck!
November 11, 2013 at 8:21am     
erasistible
I have decided against the iron bed as it is too busy. I had it on my Pinterest board for awhile. I went to JCPenny to look it over again and discovered that it was on sale for something like $269!! I did like the bed and the price excited me even more. Had to sleep on it. Looking at my other inspiration pics, the rooms and beds that I am most drawn to have padded headboards. Now I just have to decide, really now, how much I want to spend. DISCERNINGEYE--Your headboards did not show. Would really like to see them.
November 11, 2013 at 8:53am     
discerningeye
Hello, again.

Hope these two pictures come out for you. Neutral headboards like these lighten your wood, blend with the existing rich wood furniture and mirrored side stands. Very much an upscale hotel room- and also hundreds of dollars vs thousands!
November 11, 2013 at 9:19am        Thanked by erasistible
happyasaclam
Very rich, dramatic and classy, discerningeye!
November 11, 2013 at 9:25am   
Mix it up. Don't match everything. Get a tall padded headboard, in a neutral color. Bedding is more important than just a bed. Pick accent color and wall color go from there.
November 11, 2013 at 9:51am        Thanked by erasistible
P.s. You have a lot of brown. Get some soft colors in there.
November 11, 2013 at 9:52am     
erasistible
Hubby wants blue walls.
November 11, 2013 at 10:44am     
discerningeye
Soft color suggestions: Pittsburgh paint- dover grey 518.5 (darkest),thin ice 518.3(lightest),flagstone 518.4(midtone). Do you have mouldings or trims? These are rich, soft blue-grey neutrals that will compliment your rug and bedding. You should be able to order a sample on line if you don't have a Pittsburgh paint store nearby.
November 11, 2013 at 11:26am     
discerningeye
BTW- the two neutral headboards I suggested- $445- $800 retail on line, depending on full, queen or king size.
November 11, 2013 at 11:28am        Thanked by erasistible
Kathryn Peltier Design
A couple from Overstock (more that are similar): http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Fashion-Bed-Versailles-queen-full-size-upholstered-headboard/6733400/product.html?searchidx=1
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Dane-Taupe-Headboard-Queen/8343915/product.html?refccid=33MZZUFJDU62C4SJYNBOPTVG3U&searchidx=12

Target: http://www.target.com/p/monaco-nail-button-headboard/-/A-11208479#prodSlot=medium_1_15&term=upholstered+headboard

I really like this one! http://www.target.com/p/roma-tufted-wingback-headboard/-/A-14517836?reco=Rec|pdp|14517836|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1

This one only comes in white (but that might work for you) and is only $219: http://www.target.com/p/upholstered-headboard-full-queen/-/A-14154807#prodSlot=medium_1_21&term=upholstered+headboard

JCPenney - very nice, but much more expensive (and no color selection): http://www.jcpenney.com/for-the-home/sale/furniture-/happy-chic-by-jonathan-adler-crescent-heights-linen-upholstered-headboard/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002461477&searchTerm=upholstered+headboards&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&catId=SearchResults

Sears - how about this one? Priced right and curvy :-) http://www.sears.com/skyline-furniture-tufted-high-arch-upholstered-headboard-size/p-SPM10833028315?prdNo=35&blockNo=35&blockType=G35

Even better deal, but not as tall: http://www.sears.com/broyhill-jerome-queen-full-tufted-upholstered-headboard/p-SPM10844228815?prdNo=43&blockNo=93&blockType=G93

Wingback style: http://www.sears.com/wildon-home-queen-upholstered-headboard/p-SPM7553045510?prdNo=10&blockNo=160&blockType=G160

This one comes with rails, so it's the whole shebang: http://www.sears.com/hillsdale-kaylie-upholstered-headboard-w-rails-in-buckwheat/p-000000000000000243350000HIL-1566HQRK-KRKP?prdNo=8&blockNo=308&blockType=G308

There are a TON of headboards and beds on the Sears site, good to know for others who may be looking for a similar look.
November 11, 2013 at 4:42pm        Thanked by erasistible
November 11, 2013 at 4:51pm      Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
At this juncture, I would ask you to defer to original concept one more time. I would not want to see you go down the "trend road". My view right now is that big swoopy (some overdone) headboards are kind of trendy right now. That's not bad....just a reminder to think this through some more....

The bed + the window treatments will be the BIG elements that reflect you and your partner and your "key" to the "design concept". I loved that the mirrored nightstands were such a great "foil" or contrast to the large wood finish bed and dresser. I do not think the mirrored nightstands will have the same power if the bedding is light and headboard is fabric and light and the walls are blue and light. NOT BAD mind you just different I visited a prospective client who had mirrored nightstands and they just blended into air. Which is maybe what she wanted but, I don't think so. They were also, jarring and did not work with her light wood bed and light colored walls as all. It was so shockingly bad that I just did not know what to say. The moral of the story is that the old designer's adage about using mirrors"carefully" applies. With the original wood bed, the mirror nightstands were a really good "finish" combo. Now if you go the padded headboard route I wonder if you should rethink the night stands?

Guess the JC Penny bed was better as a picture than in reality. Happens. So, I guess after all this you're back to square one and focused on bed and what bed is best for you. How about those room pictures? Maybe that will give us the insight we need ...
November 11, 2013 at 6:28pm        Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
Yes, I am back to square one. I feel foolish that I feel so certain about this bed, then about that bed. Now believe it or not, I am considering getting a headboard to match my dressers. I have to put the bed against a window. The padded was so confusing--what color the drapes, what color for the padding, what color for the bedding. It had me spinning! I also am not thrilled with my bedding. It seems too pale. I am now thinking of a blue ceiling, tannish walls, blue silky drapes, blue bedskirt, and a better bed cover. Maybe tomorrow I will want blue walls again. I have done nice rooms before; I don't know why I am so stuck. I hope you all are not getting too frustrated with me.
November 11, 2013 at 7:40pm     
Kathryn Peltier Design
It happens, erasistible! Don't worry about it! I like your bedding, but I do think it's harder to match the upholstered headboard to the bedding than the other way around - somewhat like trying to match the upholstery to the paint instead of vice versa. Let's go back a minute: if your bed is going in front of a window, you may want to reconsider an iron bed. My bed is necessarily in front of a window, too, and I have an iron bed exactly for that reason - it doesn't block the light and you can actually get TO the window to open it plus feel the breeze (although the bed you show does have that solid head panel). The reason I thought it didn't work was because of the bedding, but if you're open to changing that, I think it would work. I would actually like the iron, I think, in a lighter, maybe pewter tone, but that might not look good with the dresser hardware (I can't tell what that is). At the price, you COULD paint it, or just leave it black and use with darker bedding. How about a deeper blue coverlet with sand/tan sheets, lighter blue walls and a patterned drapery? I think matching the dresser(s) is way too matchy-matchy.
November 11, 2013 at 7:55pm   
sieglerdesign
TAKE A PICTURE OF BED WALL! If paint color blue was on CEILING and on wall behind bed then this could ARCHITECTURALLY weight and anchor arrangement of bed, nightstands, lamps, window treatment. Need photo of existing bed wall, need photo, need photo. Oh did I mention need photo. We are all obviously getting the "cart before the horse" and yes, I will bow out soon without a methodical process in place. :( Its not personal.... That's just how I work. I love your project but, must proceed more methodically BEFORE being creative. Thank you for your consideration
November 11, 2013 at 8:06pm   
erasistible
I took pictures with our new camera. I don't know how to get them out! Ha. It's a lot more complicated than my other one. I will fiddle around with it and see if I can show you "The Hole". Ha Ha!
November 11, 2013 at 8:08pm   
armygirl1987
Check out this brand, not sure how much money you are planning on spending but you might find something here. http://www.stanleyfurniture.com/products/135333
I went with this one below. http://www.stanleyfurniture.com/product/135333/7121300041/_/Hudson%26%23160%3BStreet%3Cbr%3EAvenue_Upholstered_Bed_50_Queen
November 11, 2013 at 8:10pm      Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
Kathryn, the dressers must stay. I have had them for awhile now and they are still in the boxes. One of them goes in a niche so you don't see it so much. Because of the way the room is, we couldn't have a long dresser with lots of drawers so we did His and Hers. I will be painting my jewelry armoire and adding a chair or bench. Off to fiddle with the pictures....
November 11, 2013 at 8:12pm   
MarleneM
seigler design, you are so right. I look at the picture where erasistable showed us her bedding, and it shows an upholstered headboard, but there is a dark table beside the bed. If I visualize this picture with the mirrored nightstands, i wouldn't notice anything. No focal point.
November 11, 2013 at 8:13pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
Oh, I know the dressers stay - I was just thinking about the metal finish in the room :-) I think they are attractive and a nice mix with the mirrored bedside pieces.
November 11, 2013 at 8:18pm     
erasistible
I uploaded my pics but something must have happened. Trying again....
November 11, 2013 at 8:37pm   
erasistible
Right in front of the bed, there is a chimney that juts out. One of the dressers will go flat against the wall where that cupboard is. I will get a new tv and mount it somehow...
November 11, 2013 at 8:43pm   
erasistible
How do you show pics from your ideabooks in the discussions?
November 11, 2013 at 8:44pm   
erasistible
Kathryn, I like the first pic the best. It is uncluttered and has the contrast that I like.
November 11, 2013 at 8:47pm     
sieglerdesign
Excellent. Architectural feature (base, crown molding, chandelier etc...) all very good. I think you should go for bed you love that has power and presence and do what you are doing here and just let it float in front of window. Atlas my insight for you is this. I think you may be a perfect candidate for a "collectible or antique". An older bed (right size of course) may give you the character, "wow" and soulful satisfaction I believe you are after. Do you ever visit antique malls or estate sales or auctions? If not don't worry. I think if you first go to a large, large antique mall and take a picture of the first wood bed and talk to them they will post your request or know what sellers you could talk to for an item with qualities similar to your picture. Then let the antique vendors do the footwork and win your business. Also, its amazing the things that come up on craigslist. As, long as were talking metal or wood, I would not have any qualms about buying used,. I feel you are candidate for collectible or antique. What do you think? Tell me a budget and I will check a couple of sources for you for an example of kind of bed. Key words would be french, rococo, French provincial, Victorian maybe.....just have to see what's out there.
November 11, 2013 at 8:55pm      Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
You are correct that I like old, beautiful things. Hubby wants new. Budget for a bed is $500-around $800. That bench at the foot of the bed was put there when I was painting woodwork but you can see how there is not very much room to pass through there. That is why I don't want a high footboard. I have to have the bed where it is because of wiring. This is the only room in my house that has not been gutted.
November 11, 2013 at 9:00pm   
sieglerdesign
OMG....if you sew then we could an awesome draping / french fabric type thing over bed unto ceiling. In other words we'd have double rod at the window. The bottom rod has the window drapes and the upper rod would have fabric we would swoop over the first few feet of ceiling and attach to ceiling. The fabric swoop stays in place without affecting drapes of window. It is so french! Now I have no picture of this! This is an "idea" only.

However, I am going to attache a picture of a OLD "collectible / antique" bed that was just a bed I liked from a Behr paint vignette. I think you will see that "older items" have a power and character not easy to find in new pieces.
November 11, 2013 at 9:03pm     
erasistible
I can sew a bit. I paint some too.....
November 11, 2013 at 9:10pm     
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think sieglerdesign has a good idea to look for a vintage bed. The problem is that most of these are BEDS (with side rails and footboards) and they didn't come in queen-size. You can buy converters, and I think they come in different styles, depending upon the construction of the old bed. http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Converter-System-Hook-On-Support/dp/B000VOSR3M If you could find something you like, you could even spray paint it to the finish you want (I did this with my bed - it was easy)
November 11, 2013 at 9:14pm   
erasistible
Hubby doesn't want an antique look. He is okay with updated traditional. I used to like Shabby stuff. Now I am with Hubby but I do like a bit of a Frenchy flair! Curves.
November 11, 2013 at 9:18pm   
sieglerdesign
Sewing will be excellent! Painting skill will come in handy. You are also, perfect candidate to do some silver leafing on your wall! Look at "canopies" in sewing resources. There may be something that strikes your fancy that could be good to do! I will find a picture also, that represents the idea and post for you. What about a big antique mall near you? Is this a possibility for you. If hubby wants new it may be because, he has concerns about structural integrity of an "old" item. His concerns would be well founded but, if bed was built using good fabrication techniques then it might just be matter of adding the right amount of blocking, metal bracing and wood glue to make it work for another 50 years! I believe in using and improving OLD things. Maybe see what your area has to offer and then have that conversation with him.
November 11, 2013 at 9:19pm   
sieglerdesign
Okay if hubby wants strong and new then have you looked at Restoration Hardware vignettes of bedrooms....a few curvy french looks there but, not a ton. I just think they do a good job on the vignettes. I checked Baker Furniture and Bernhardt ... a couple of manufactures I love anf trust and I keep coming back to the first wood bed. Its a lot of style for the money if that bed is under 800.00. I agree about leaving foot board of bed a clear walkway area. Do that for sure. A foot board not higher than mattress will still be okay more than likely.
November 11, 2013 at 9:24pm     
Kathryn Peltier Design
What about something like this? It would play against the curvier lines of your wood pieces, but mirror (pun not intended! haha) the nightstands. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chic-Full-Metal-Canopy-Bed-Beds-Headboard-Frame-Antique-Finish-Furniture-Bedroom-/360783906703?pt=US_Bed_and_Bed_Frames&hash=item540065878f

or this (but local pick-up in CA only) http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUEEN-HEADBOARD-WROUGHT-IRON-HEAVY-AND-STRONG-/200986737295?pt=US_Headboards_and_Footboards&hash=item2ecbbe3a8f

Quite a few on Ebay if you search "iron headboard queen".
November 11, 2013 at 9:27pm        Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
If I see something promising, I will work on him. I used to have a lot of antiques. I kept them because I felt like I should. I decorated around them, built things around them...I got rid of them one by one. It was liberating! I still have a couple of mirrors, picture frames, china, and a few little things. I have some French aquatints--might see about using those! Hubby is home so I am getting off here for tonight. Thanks for everything. Have a good night all!
November 11, 2013 at 9:29pm     
erasistible
Kathryn, I have not considered a canopy bed. Could work if it is delicate like the one you showed me. Night!
November 11, 2013 at 9:31pm     
erasistible
One more thing--Sieglerdesign--I can't find that bed that offers headboard only. Will look at it again to see the footboard. I think it is around $900 but you do get the whole bed and it is a beauty....
November 11, 2013 at 9:33pm   
sieglerdesign
want to see.....nite nite to all.
November 11, 2013 at 10:31pm   
sieglerdesign
I spent 1 hour on original furniture items + a couple more items for a presentation board for you. I think consumers use "pin boards" a lot (?) but, in design practices they have always been called "presentation board" or "vision board" when focused on ONE CONCEPT. I think pin boards are a lot of miscellaneous ideas collected? So, this is a "concept board" to me in that I'm showing all items, that we believe will make a special statement, when grouped together. I think you are right and want to see you hang in there.

I normally do much simpler groupings (contemporary design ...see portfolio projects) but, I think you seem personally very comfortable with pattern and strong form and complex layering. So, I am not worried about the wood bed, rug or your bedding pattern choice or anything. All I am concerned about right now is budget, proportion / scale, art and lamps. If anything went away from this grouping it would be the rug that I might try a LIGHTER rug idea and see how you like it. Please me know what you think of YOUR VISION as shown here. I like..
November 12, 2013 at 8:38am   
November 12, 2013 at 8:50am      Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
Thank you SO much SeiglerDesign! Nice to see how it all looks together. I believe that I am going with a wooden bed. I like everything about the first one except the side posts. Just reminds me of colonial-ish furniture. One place it was priced $900, one place $550 for the entire bed--what a wild swing! Anyway, I found this one. I don't like the footboard but I like the headboard. It is almost Victorian with a whisper of Gothic. $$529 incl. shipping. I like the carvings better on the other one but I just can't get past the posts. Must keep the rug. After looking around more, I also thought it should be lighter but it was too late. The bed will be covering most of the dark part so it will be alright.
November 12, 2013 at 9:40am   
sieglerdesign
Here is concept 1 + strong bold french rug. Louie 14 rugs have STRONG borders and though highly patterned the designs are strong and anchoring. Pattern is cool as long as it truly reflects the person's taste and aesthetic. This is the view that "a lot is better" and can be exciting and luxurious.
November 12, 2013 at 10:15am        Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
Also, I I am really liking this color scheme-more on the blue side. I can't show the picture--wrong format. I like the drapes in that pic but am also considering the ones shown below in blue. Kind of a lot for me to spend, but they are silk, lined, and give me that longing feeling whenever I look at them. A blue bedskirt would look beautiful reflected in the nightstands. Oh. I think I may be rushing things a bit. I will not have a lot of funds for art and decor because I also need a new matress set and a new TV. I also have these antique carvings that I wanted to use for a canopy. Don't know if I have enough for both windows, but there is enough for a canopy. I will get a pic of them. http://www.softsurroundings.com/P/Balloon_Drapery_Panel/
November 12, 2013 at 10:15am   
sieglerdesign
Got it! Now to art and lamps!
November 12, 2013 at 10:17am   
sieglerdesign
Art is cheap on overstock. Will send you link to artist I am loving right now. Frames to be lovely are tricky but, you are clever and can find "thrift store" items to maybe paint! Go for strong art on either side of bed to have window not dominate but, be part of total. In "vision board" I did not want too busy but, knew drape would be there behind bed which is perfect for that addition feature of SOFT too! I think you're good and I hope if you think I have helped you that you will say something on my professional page!

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Beverly-Brown-Pont-de-Change-Paris-Canvas-Art/7029902/product.html
November 12, 2013 at 10:23am        Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
Hold some strong, bold rectilinear lines overall in your key selections. Note Louie 14 rug, geometric shape of lamps etc... The strong geometry supports the curvy patterns in bedding, and art and drapery detailing. . French designers smart. Knew how to do it. Why we still default to french design though Americans not so fond of hearing about french design. What works ....works and that's just the way it is.
November 12, 2013 at 10:31am     
sieglerdesign
Okay so, I think you are saying this is your bed wall combo right now. I added the Beverly Brown art from overstock.com. Nice...keep it tight. Let's go back and double check your sizes and proportions for everything before ordering and spending money.

Good for bed wall and drapes to be blue. Will weight that wall more. I have an interesting idea about the "fireplace wall" opposite headboard wall to have "silver leafing" and bold architectural antique like round tracery window or some kind of iron tracery laying on wall with the "silver leaf" showing thru! Could be really beautiful.
November 12, 2013 at 11:13am   
erasistible
Love the art! The chimney wall will have a dresser on one side-where that cupboard is sitting. The double doors are on the other side of the chimney. The other dresser will go in a space next to the window--the one with no curtains. Oh! I forgot that I have a lovely piece of iron work stashed somewhere....It's even silver! Hope it is big enough. I notice that there is a shift to gold-toned metal. I was going with silver thinking that it tied to the nightstands better. I forgot that they will reflect stuff and that alone will tie it together. I have some nice Art Nouveau picture frames. They are gold with insects and vines in the design. I could put one above each nightstand. If I remember correctly, they are about 14 x 14. The nightstands are 21" wide. If they are not big enough, I could put a small mirror or something below them. I don't have to use them there but I think I would like to use them somewhere. I must like them a lot for them to have survived "The Great Antique Purge". Ha!
November 12, 2013 at 12:07pm     
sieglerdesign
Okay if I understand you correctly then the chimney wall will have wood item on either side. I think this is perfect for chimney wall to have decorative wall treatment of silver leaf with perhaps a good architectural antique mounted on wall. Now you have a great focal point to look at opposite of bed while in bed!
November 12, 2013 at 12:09pm     
sieglerdesign
It looks like walls nightstands will be on are ample. We do not have to limit our art composition to sitting purely over nightstands. Just depends on the art but, not ready to be final on this. Need dimensions of all first. YES MIX silver and gold for definition and emphasis. I think you get what will feel right because, you have "eye in training" from what I can tell. Seeing is a skill like sketching and sewing....the more you train and do then the better you get. My eye in training for 40+ years. Still I learn new things every day!
November 12, 2013 at 12:13pm     
erasistible
The bedroom doors are on the other side of the chimney. The other dresser will be on the adjacent wall next to the window with no curtains. Maybe I could add gold highlights to the metal sculpture.
November 12, 2013 at 12:13pm   
sieglerdesign
How are you feeling about all this now? Does this feel like direction you like? Oh I get door location now. Keep working on layout and item finalization. Don't embellish yet. Its too, soon for embellishment. Get lamps.

BTW....chandelier in room should be great. Is it silver or gold or both. Let's focus on that item a bit.
November 12, 2013 at 12:16pm   
erasistible
"Eye in training". Now when I look at all of the beautiful, professional work on this site, I study the pictures and try to see what it REALLY is about a particular room that is so pleasing to me. I wanted to be a designer at one time but realized that I am too disorganized and tend to think that what I personally like is the only way to go. I am more open now, but not enough. Ha.
November 12, 2013 at 12:23pm     
I would steer away from wood and do an upholstered bed with brass nail head trimming.
November 12, 2013 at 12:27pm      Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
No you are not too, disorganized. Everybody can grow. Design in real human space is 50% methodical and 50% creative. If you master art skills + technical planning skills, you can do this. Everybody is at different levels of comprehension and skill. You can stay put or learn new things. Its up to us. We all struggle about something. Not always evident but, I think is the case. Its our destiny. :)
November 12, 2013 at 12:36pm        Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
Yes, too soon for decor. Just thinking of some things that I already have. The chandelier. I know that I need one but thought I should get lamps first because I don't have any. I wish I still had the ones that I got rid of. They were ugly but it is better than none. Do you mean to at least pick a chandelier? Hubby thinks $150-$200. I say $250-$300- a little more if I fall in love. He'll come around. Oh! The chandelier is bronze. I thought maybe I could do something with it for awhile. Little hats on the bulbs, color the crystals, a little metallic gleam.....definitely give it a good cleaning. I could put a ceiling medallion up there.
November 12, 2013 at 12:41pm   
erasistible
iamjudy, thank you for your suggestion, but I feel that the upholstered with nailhead trim is too trendy. I only get to go through and update with furniture about every 10 or 15 years so whatever I select has to have staying power. The mirrored nightstands were my folly.
November 12, 2013 at 12:45pm   
sieglerdesign
No I mean I think I like your existing chandelier but, I cannot tell much about it. I was thinking you would leave or we might "tweek" but, can't say since I cannot see it very well. Was more curious about color and how it impacts you more than anything. Medallion idea good. I like! :)
November 12, 2013 at 1:32pm   
erasistible
I went to take a better pic of the chandelier but the battery on my camera ran down. It is new to me and I forgot that you had to turn it on and off. Here are a couple of examples--The first one looks really really close to mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Crystal-And-Bronze-brass-6-Light-Chandelier-Simply-Stunning-/321240277254?pt=US_Chandeliers_and_Ceiling_Fixtures&hash=item4acb69a106

This is a different one but the same color as mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHANDELIER-VINTAGE-BEAUTIFUL-/141110712909?pt=US_Chandeliers_and_Ceiling_Fixtures&hash=item20dada9a4d
.
Here someone embellished the heck out of it. I was thinking about adding some strings to it but I think they went a little overboard. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHANDELIER-VINTAGE-BEAUTIFUL-/141110712909?pt=US_Chandeliers_and_Ceiling_Fixtures&hash=item20dada9a4d

It doesn't really bother me. I kind of wanted a new one but that was when I thought I wanted something more on the glam side. I would rather save the money to use for a little decor when we are finished with the main aspects. If I don't like it after a sprucing, I will get a new one. It is more important than vases and boxes. I can always get that stuff. Thing is, that is where I sometimes just stop because I have spent all of my money on everything else. I always think that I will do this or that later but sometimes it doesn't happen because something else is going on. Not doing it this time. I have a secret stash.
November 12, 2013 at 2:08pm   
sieglerdesign
exactly.....people run out of budget when they design as they go. You are smart to plan. Well I like the chandelier just fine for now. We can always "rework" and spiff up later. I would love to see lamps be a good investment item. Shades are always bad on most lamps. Do you have budget for lamps? I would like to see you set aside 500.00 for 2? I will tell you a secret about when to spend more money and when to spend less. Some items are usually always nicer when you buy a luxury item in that category and lamps are one of those items. Some items like bedding, wood furniture, art, fabric can be all over the map but, lamps to me are one of those items that cheap ones always look cheap and good quality ones always look quality. The exception will be "custom" . Wow custom can be so cool or so hokey. What are you thinking about lamps? Are liking how this is going and impacting you now that we have some "working vision boards" showing your selections?
November 12, 2013 at 3:07pm     
sieglerdesign
oh the embellished link did not take. Would be curious about that!
November 12, 2013 at 3:08pm   
erasistible
I am loving it! $250 apiece for lamps. I was thinking no more than $150. I know they are important. I will digest this suggestion.
One thing that keeps happening to me. Sometimes I am going along picking out things, pinning and planning. Then I walk into my bedroom and wonder what the hell I am thinking. I mean I go from my French Chateau in my head to my house at the end of the street. I think we are doing fine. I probably get that sensation because of the way the room looks now. Also, when I think of French, I think of a lot of fancy gold and curlicues. But you know how to balance that with other things.

Here is that chandelier again. Maybe it will work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BRASS-ITALIAN-FRENCH-BLUE-OPALINE-TURQUOISE-CRYSTAL-CHANDELIER-/221310557833?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item3387231e89
November 12, 2013 at 3:34pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
Are you still thinking of blue and a sand color? If you're going with a more vintage look how about these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-MID-CENTURY-BLUE-BRISTOL-GLASS-LAMPS-RESTORED-/131044740247?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item1e82e00c97

These, too, are very pretty. With plain white contemporary cylindrical shades they would look stunning. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-Pair-Of-Mid-Century-Murano-Glass-Mabro-Seguso-Opalescent-Blue-Lamps-/131045313263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e82e8caef
November 12, 2013 at 4:03pm        Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
Sorry. Didn't answer the question about lamps. Not anything too Frenchy. Something a little contemporary to keep the room from being theme-y (French) or antique-ish. I don't know. I always looked at shabby, French, or glam things. Now I see that that is not quite right but I don't know what is. Ha! I like capiz shell lamps. I like the way they shimmer and each piece is different. Maybe something structural like rings? Seeded glass is pretty too-I like the texture in those. The glass may go better with the chandelier but would they fade away on the nightstand?
November 12, 2013 at 4:08pm   
sieglerdesign
Its all about loving yourself in a healthy and good way. Every woman has to find balance. I'm sure some friends or family members may try to give you flack. (they don't like change) That is very unattractive ego side of human nature. But, I've learned from my women clients who are unafraid to care and cater to themselves that its not about "who do you think you are". ....they totally don't care what others think first. They care about what they think and about their WELL BEING first so that then they can be there for others.

Women hold up half the sky but, we have a ways to go when it comes to nurturing our spirits. I've thought about this subject a lot because, I'm not a "thing" person. Yet, a room is made up of lovely things and great craftsmanship. So, I just know everybody needs to find that balance and its different for everyone. So, who are you? You are awesome wonderful woman who cares and does for others and I'm sure they draw strength from your strength so, you must find ways to replenish it. You are showing them how to care for themselves and how to care about home. This is the lesson that was gift to me from my "classy mom" (now departed many years) who showed me "the way" by how she lived. To quote the queen of home who does get it right a lot of the time.... Martha herself....."it is a good thing".
November 12, 2013 at 4:10pm        Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
wowwee gorgeous chandelier but, I would still put night table lamps over chandelier in importance.and budget. You need that combo at your living level to really work and be tight. Chandelier not so crucial in my view.
November 12, 2013 at 4:12pm     
erasistible
Yes, a sand color and blue. I do like those peacock lamps but Hubby wants new. I even like the shape of the shades that are already on them. I have company now. Will pop in later or tomorrow. Thanks!
November 12, 2013 at 4:14pm   
sieglerdesign
You're welcome. Have wonderful evening.

You're in luck that lamp I originally found not as expensive as I thought. It has the crackled ceramic look so, I thought more expensive. But, need to qualify mattress ht., night table ht. lamp ht. combo! first.
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/uttermost-azure-blue-porcelain-table-lamp__52053.html
November 12, 2013 at 4:18pm        Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
We need ht. of bed at mattress, ht. of nightstands. Here is sketch in meantime. I love murano glass. Want strong and substantial yet lovely lamp base form to match other strong forms in room

okay recap of day's vision boards and discussions....nite nite all
November 12, 2013 at 7:28pm   
sieglerdesign
oh dear....thought I was done. Here is simpler crystal chandelier on HOUZZ! Need to check ALL proportions of all products. Need to have fabric matches and finish matches for all finishes. Need to spread all out before you and review. Select blue paint color based on bedding, drapes etc... Now this project is very far along at last. That is much different than 24 hours ago when bed search was starting again. I think you're in good shape. Thanks for playing!

November 12, 2013 at 7:58pm      Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
24 hours ago I was nearly in tears. That chandy seems a bit cold to me. I will spruce up the one that I have--I think it will go very well in there. I am going to see if I can get a fabric sample of the drapes.
November 12, 2013 at 8:50pm   
sieglerdesign
It is. It feels Louie 16 which is what nightstands are so blend was kind of intellectual choice on my part. Your blend will be good and be you but, think maybe make gold or brown tones go away on your existing chandelier and make silver, white and crystal pop more somehow to relate to nightstand finish and feel? I am so pleased you 'are happy lady of the manor now.... very pleased. Hope it sticks. I know composition is strong and good and we will not as Dr. Phil likes to say "drive this thing off into the ditch". The very, very important part now is to be sure every piece will relate to each other on the basis of scale, height and proportion. You are not going to like this but, we need all sizes and dimensions to review. I noticed you were very sensitive to "symmetry" and that will come back and bite us in the but, if we do not qualify all sizes of EVERYTHING? Will you agree to provide this effort? It will make the difference between good and excellent result. Are you up for excellence?
November 12, 2013 at 9:22pm   
erasistible
Yes, I am up for excellence! I have a lot of measurements for you today.

Room: 15'6" x 11'6" Ceiling height 9'

Chimney: Niche on left side is 48" W and 17"D Chimney itself is 63"W

Bed wall windows are 60"W

DRAPES: If you want to, you can get a free sample of the drapery material. I chose blue, I need 108" http://www.countrycurtains.com/product/010150426+ashford+silk+lined+rod+pocket+panel.do?sortby=ourPicks

Dressers: 52"H x 38W x 16D

Nightstands: 29 1/2H x 21 1/2 x 15 3/4 D

Headboard: 60"H x 64"W

Matress and Frame: Matress is 12" thick Frame is 14" tall-The matress stis on this frame so
there is no need for a boxspring. This allows for underbed storage and
comes as a set.

Rug: 8' x 10'
November 13, 2013 at 7:40am   
sieglerdesign
Good! So, let's confirm a few things:
* when you sit on the mattress...it is 26" off the floor. The difference from the mattress to top of nightstand when you are laying in bed is about 4.5". This should be comfortable for the most part.

* the bed is a queen bed. The nightstand size is okay. Ideally I would like them to be even bigger. Is there a next size up in that style ? Have you ordered these. Another size that would look good is 29 1/2" H x 24" to 36" wide and 21" deep. Your bed set up is very similar to mine and I have french style commode chests on either side of my queen bed and a more ample side nightstand is nice but, not required. I just want you to be clear on this item now because, the overall composition feels ample and rich and actually luxurious. Nothing takes the zip out of everything like furniture that is too, small. I know there is lots of mirror furniture out there to choose from. Are you solid on this item or do we revisit this specification. I know this hard but, its the right thing to think about right now. Better to pay a restock fee and get right thing than to keep on trying to make something work that is not going to work.

What do you think?

* ratio of rug to bed is 60" x 89" bed? sitting on 8' x 10' rug? Is this correct?
* ratio of niche to furniture piece is good.
* I like big ample windows. Don't skimp on drape fabric ....I think you already have strong idea about this. Fabric behind headboard will look soft and pretty!

These are key issues to me. I will review again. Did you create a floor plan or no? I can't remember?

naomi
November 13, 2013 at 2:12pm   
erasistible
Hi!

I just got home from work and settled down.

I already have the nightstands-no going back. I haven't see a bigger one in that style. I don't have the mattress and stand yet but I know this is the one that I want.
The ratio of rug to bed is correct. I gave you dimensions for the bed window. The other one is a little bigger and it is jammed into a corner. No room to stack the draperies past the window frame.
I did not create a floorplan. I will do it in the morn. Is there anything special you need for this besides measurements for all of the walls?

Madelyn
November 13, 2013 at 8:18pm   
sieglerdesign
I just wanted to talk about lamp size (HEIGHT). You know it can annoying to be in bed looking up into a light bulb. Yet, we have nice generous feeling of scale in concept. So, don't want lamps to be too, tall or too, small! But, want lamps to anchor bed wall arrangement and have presence and strength. Hard when it gets down to last things. So, I was thinking ht. for lamps should be such that bottom of shade is no more than 45" off floor. Well, need to dive in and look at lamps and then I will double check for you the ratio. That's if for now I think except if you want to shoot pictures of the art and frame you might like to group above nightstand? Sound good?
Naomi
November 13, 2013 at 8:23pm   
erasistible
Sounds good! If you think the nightstands are a bit small, would it help to bring the drapes way over so that they are behind and just a tiny bit past the nightstand? Would that beef up the arrangement or just look weird? I could leave them open in the middle with some sheers or a shade in between the panels. Oh. We are doing lamps. I found these but they may be too big. I like the style and everything. https://www.jossandmain.com/Winter-Inspirations-Stafford-Table-Lamp~BMR2564~E6251.html
November 13, 2013 at 8:31pm   
erasistible
Never mind the lamps. They are as wide or wider than my tables!! I sure do like the way they look, though.
November 13, 2013 at 8:32pm   
sieglerdesign
they are so cool....I know its going to be tough. I've been down this road before. I think you will have to look at lamps 24" ht. and no higher than 27" ht. The difference will be the shade ht. If shade is ample then lamp can be taller. Its just that from top of nightstand to bottom of shade probably needs to stay around 12" to 14" to not look too, weird. You might want to stay local on this purchase so, you could buy from a credible light store and they will let you take lamps home and try them and bring them back if not good? They give store credit and you pick out other lamps until you get it to what you like. This is how my trusted light store works. They are very upscale store in Phoenix that has been serving OLD phoenix for 60 years. So, those kind of businesses are not easy to come by. But, the question remains ....would this be an item to rely on a local seller for so you can get the support and service you need or are you willing to go other route like internet. You thought all that other stuff was hard.....now more tweeking is hard too, so hang in there.
November 13, 2013 at 9:44pm      Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
I think www.uttermost.com is a good maker. That is where I saw crackle ceramic lamps I put in the vignette. Lots of sources sell Uttermost. Thank you M. nite nite.
November 13, 2013 at 9:57pm   
erasistible
I like the lamp that you showed me. I have no lighting store here. I am good with shopping on the internet. When a height is stated in a description, do they mean to the top of the shade?

Also, I am willing to buy different shades if I don't like the one that comes with it.
November 14, 2013 at 6:34am   
erasistible
Hubby is still in bed; I can't measure until he gets up. I will start to get ready for work now so maybe I can do it before I leave. Sorry for the delay.
November 14, 2013 at 7:22am   
sieglerdesign
no worries....The better lamp sellers should give you overall lamp ht., and ht. of base only, ht of lamp shade only, size of base if odd shape item, size of shade including h x w x l. I think in other words the more description is better and every size increment that is possible should be provided. If information is missing then buyer beware in my opinion. I like lamp I showed you too, but, I think its too, tall and your eye will look straight into bulb when you are in bed! So, not good if that happens. :)
November 14, 2013 at 9:05am      Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Bernadette_Table_Lamp/310/ This is a smaller lamp that fits nightstand. I'm thinking since you have nightstands that you are going to need to "mock up size" to try and see what FEELS good. Side table lamps for beds can be big or they can be small. Its just how the item relates to everything else. Nightstand elegant so, lamp is good elegant too, whether large or small I think. I think with lamps because, we are so close up to them usually that we become aware of the quality of them easily. So, I guess on this item get the best you can afford because, you will look at it a lot up close.

Here is sketch of smaller lamp with in your vignette.
November 14, 2013 at 10:50am      Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
Okay here is one more from my search for you and then I think I'm done and you will need to see what you like and just use some of the guidelines I'm showing and talking about here. This item is pretty interesting to me because, it is narrow and tall. It is 34" ht. but, the big round finial at the top is probably 3" or so. This means lamp is same ht. as nightstands and that's kind of an interesting proportion. Also, shade looks like it might pick up some of the rug colors and it is an interesting warm color. Shade tall and narrow to hide bulb I think. So, this could work if you like it. See what you think. It is Utttermost Lilia lamp I think and there are lots of sellers on the internet. It is under 200.00. Here is one link to read about Lilia http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/uttermost-29279-1-lilia-lamp-640684.htm
November 14, 2013 at 11:15am      Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
So on the Lilia lamp the amount of space from the top of the nightstand to where the lamp shade starts seems to be about 13". 13, 14, 15 inches is good. This amount of space from top of night stand to bottom of shade and narrowness of shade insures that you will have light from lamps but, not in your eyes when laying down. That is point of whole exercise of knowing dimensions. Make sense? Remember the mirror nightstand will reflect even more light and make lamps brighter so, the 100 watts is good. You can add a dimmer now too. Home Depot carries them ... you plug lamp cord into dimmer cord and dimmer cord into wall. I use them whenever I can. I like them a lot. Dimming lamp gives you good control over light level. Important for 2 people in bed.
November 14, 2013 at 1:21pm        Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
I saw the Lelia lamp and liked it! I like that the shade is unusual and it is tall. The Bernadette seems to have more oomph, in the shape though. I didn't know that about the dimmer. I will show the lamps to Hubby. The whole thing looks amazing! Thanks, Miss Awesome!
November 14, 2013 at 8:18pm   
sieglerdesign
THANK YOU for having me consult! You are my first HOUZZ member to team up to the finish of the concept. Now I'm starting to get excited for work to get scheduled and start soon? I could not be more pleased for our work together!
November 14, 2013 at 9:49pm   
erasistible
Here is my floorplan. The bed wall is on the west side of the room.
November 15, 2013 at 9:52am   
erasistible
Hubby likes the Lilia lamp. I am surprised as I thought he would like the more conventional looking one. Go figure....I am going to go with these.
November 15, 2013 at 10:43am   
sieglerdesign
GREAT! NO INTERNET until now! Will review floor plan and get back to you Saturday. Good work so far.
November 15, 2013 at 9:02pm        Thanked by erasistible
sieglerdesign
Okay looking at layout and floor plan of room I think all will be fine. I guessed at size of wall to right of bed wall double windows but, in your photo the wall looks to be about 4'. If you want to double check that will be good. There seems to be just enough room to do most of what you envision. I might think about a flatter or architectural window treatment on the corner window. I was wondering about a Hunter Douglas "sllhoutte" shade or white shutters. If you already ordered drapes then maybe just see what you think once you have drapes. Also, thinking it would be useful to have another surface near to the bed to set down cup of coffee and morning croissant or bagel. I noticed there are starting to be some pretty nice "bed side" tables that are NOT medical looking. This could be a handy item to look for. I'll see if I can find bedside item I saw recently that was nice enough for the bedroom.
November 17, 2013 at 3:28pm   
sieglerdesign
M ....here is the sketch for your review. Thanks!
November 17, 2013 at 3:44pm      Thanked by erasistible
erasistible
Hmmmm. I don't think that the drapes will be very poofy and I like the color and softness they will bring to the room. I will look into the shades and shutters. I do need light control. I was considering window film but I want to be able to see out. If I don't do drapes, maybe I could do something like this (image below) over some sheers. Please let me know what you think of this idea. You know, it is really hard to find curtains or fabric for that matter, in a pretty shade of blue. They are greenish or grayish. I never considered a bedside tray--sounds interesting.

I see you even added a TV and mounting system! The only thing I would do differently is, I would put the jewelry box on the on the other side of the bed, as there is nothing on that wall and my dresser is the one in the niche. I might get a small blue upholstered chair or use a chair I have and re-do the seat, and place it beside my jewelry box.

I am thinking about having someone make me a a print or whatever of an old map of Texas (my husband is from there) and having the county where we met and married , tinted light blue. He would really appreciate that--a nod to his heritage when he is surrounded by "France". I would put it above his dresser (the one beside the window). He really does pretty much have my way as far as decor goes.

I don't think I would like shades or shutters without some sort of draping on them. I will look at some ideas. I could do a swag but I am afraid it might be frumpy.

I say "frumpy" a lot! That is because I am over 50 and I don't want you to be able to tell my age by looking at my decor! Ha Ha!

I am waiting on my fabric sample for the drapes. I sure hope I like the color...

Thank you, Ms. Naomi. My vision is becoming clearer every day!

Madelyn
November 17, 2013 at 8:45pm   
sieglerdesign
I am Texan born and bred. I was born in the old Florence Nightingale wing of Baylor hospital in downtown Dallas. (no longer there) My brother was almost born in a rain storm in a taxi cab with a flat tire on the bridge from Oak Cliff to down town Dallas. His birth story much more dramatic then mine which is why I mention it. Texans big on good stories. What county did you meet in? LOVE maps. Awesome idea. Texans very complicated people but, have grit and are special! Well we always think so anyway!

Please look at Hunter Douglas Silhouette product as they are soft and pretty. I agree about softness at window, I just started getting worried about BULK and MASS and thought maybe drapes behind bed only would help bed be as much of a focal point as possible. But, agree drapes at corner window could be just fine. Would love to see upholstered accent of some kind. Am not sure how much space you have on right side of bed from window to corner.

I am over 50 too, and proud of my gray hair! Frumpy is descriptive of good look to avoid. I also, say fuddy duddy taste good to avoid. You don't worry. Your "French" taste tendencies in this room are very Louie 14 and Louie 16 and those are actually pretty robust and balanced "masculine and feminine" styles. Especially Baroque Louie 14 like pattern on the bedding is strong but, good. I've really enjoyed your taste and I DONOT like frilly or fussy or busy decor! And, I like this so I hope that carries some weight with you.
November 17, 2013 at 9:40pm        Thanked by erasistible
PirateFoxy
@sieglerdesign - Your comment about the mirrored nightstands helping with a heavy bed was really useful for me. I have a darker wood storage bed that's quite solid visually, but that I don't want to get rid of. I'm going to go looking at mirrored nightstands now to see if I find anything I like. The bed itself is fairly simple lines, and I favor mostly white bedding, so I'm thinking perhaps something mirrored and a little more ornate or fancy to add some 'fun' and femininity to the room.
November 17, 2013 at 11:32pm     
erasistible
Texans are special, indeed! Hubby is from San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas, and I am from Ohio. My best friend at the time was returning to Texas. I had a broken heart and felt there was nothing here for me anymore so I decided to leave with her. I learned to 2 step, drink tequila and make re-fried beans. I met my husband when he walked into his aunt's bar after he got off of work. He says it must have been fate because he never went there as it was out of his way. He took somebody home and just stopped in. I was just leaving when I saw him. He looked fine, so I thought I would stay a bit. I was 19 years old. That was 36 years ago. Some people say they would never marry anyone that they met in a bar. Lucky for us that it worked out!

Talking about curtains....Are sheers fuddy duddy? I like the way the room looks when the light comes through. What do you think of the curtains in the last pic that I showed you? Would that look nice over sheers or is it too light and fussy for what we have going on?

I agree about the upholstered piece. I will probably add a pretty chair and place it beside my jewelry armoire on the right side of the bed.

I am going to look at some shades. That window comes way down--almost to the floor, so shades may be too expensive for me. QUESTION: should I get one big shade or one for each window? The windows are two placed side by side. The bed window is placed high on the wall like the front window but it isn't as long. Weird room. I would love to gut it.
November 18, 2013 at 8:50am   
sieglerdesign
sigh....wonderful story....thanks for sharing.

Sheers not fuddy duddy ....sheers very nice but, usually not enough privacy and insulation by themselves so, they need to be right for what window covering needs to do at the specific window. FYI here is link to Silhoette for you to study. I can tell you they DO have the same softening effect in reality as drapery sheers do.
http://www.hunterdouglas.com/our-products-detail.jsp?id=1&trk_semgrp=silhouette_brand&trk_semcamp=product_brand&trk_semterm=+@hunter+@douglas+@silhouette&trk_semeng=m&trk_medium=p&trk_semmatch=broad&trk_semadid=1725145065

You could still do the blue sheer balloon effect as in the picture over drapery sheers or Silhouette shade sheers. The Silhouette give you the same amount of control as a blind so, that is why I would consider them more "state of the art" in the way of a window treatment.

BUT.....shades to me look much better when an INSIDE mount and not an OUTSIDE mount. Which begs the question: What can you do at your windows....INSIDE MOUNT or OUTSIDE MOUNT? If you have to do an OUTSIDE mount then I'd say forget shade and do a layer of sheer drapes and then a layer of privacy drapes as you were going to do. Hope that makes sense!
November 18, 2013 at 9:25am     
sieglerdesign
M ....I posted for future reference the sequence of vision boards for your bedroom in a file on my professional page. No names used....just showing progress of boards that reflect the discussions. Hope okay? Thanks! Naomi
November 21, 2013 at 5:52pm        Thanked by erasistible
armygirl1987
I love the boards sieglerdesign.
November 21, 2013 at 7:41pm     
erasistible
I wrote a nice long reply about my windows. Sorry if you thought I didn't respond. Maybe I forgot to hit submit? Anyway, the windows. Cannot do inside mount. The lower part of the windows used to open so that they swung out. There is a knob on them that will not allow a window shade lay flat. I am afraid to cut the knobs off. I could cut around the knobs but they couldn't be raised up and down. Then there is a small piece of wood put in there to keep out drafts--well they are just old. Also, I do hope to gut that room someday so I hesitate to get anything that is very fitted or custom until I get new windows.

I saw your vision boards! They are great. I don't mind at all that you showed our progress. I am waiting on the fabric samples for my drapes. I am anxious to start painting and really get started on this, but I want to know about my curtains first. Hubby works a lot so it may be slow going. We also have a rental that we have to freshen...I have some helpers though so maybe it won't take as long as all that.

I love looking at the vision board, knowing that my room will really look like that!
November 21, 2013 at 9:02pm     
sieglerdesign
Maybe it kind of simple of me but, I just like posting all the boards and then doing a slide show to view one board after the other. It sort of tells the story of the progress of planning and layers and shows client decisions and feedback to me. Its a tiny little journey but, it can be a fun one for sure!

Oh no worries about response. I knew you are waiting on items. As for window with crank or at least sounds like a crank that does mean you CANNOT really have shades and you are right to use sheers! You can take picture of window and show me if you want but, it does sound like you need sheers and you are correct about that. :)
November 21, 2013 at 9:03pm     
sieglerdesign
Oh I remember now what I was going to remind you about. I do not have the size of space to the right side of bed wall window. If you want to work on art, frame, sizes and positioning around nightstands and lamp then I will need those wall sizes and pictures with size of all your art and frames. You can wait or we can "compose". Its up to you. I worked on some art for another HOUZZ member but, I took it all down because, she gave no feedback. But, I put it in a file on my professional page anyway because, I was so fond of what I had composed. So, you can take a look at file for Shiloh Goodin and see how I focused on art only. We don't have to do your art. Its only a suggestion in case you want input. Or we can do it in a few weeks. Just wanted to mention it while I remembered!
November 21, 2013 at 9:14pm     
erasistible
The wall space on both sides of the bed is 60".

I am planning to make a canopy/cornice thing above the bed out of the wood carving.

The white frames ( I have 2) will be repainted brown with silver accents and a band of blue on the inside band. The white frames measure 20 1/2 wide X 24 1/2" tall. They accept a 60 x 20 canvas board. They are the perfect width to go above the nightstands. If I am wrong about that, please set me straight. I could also put them above the dressers. I just thought that if they were above the nightstands I could tie all of the colors together with them. If you don't think these frames will look nice, I can look for other ones.

The gold frames (I have 2, although I can't find the other one) measure 16" X 18" They are antiques so I will leave them as is. They accept an 8 X 10 board.

I will probably make some art for the white ones that go above the nightstands. I thought maybe an enlarged damask motif in blue with a distressed look. They could be the same or different.
November 22, 2013 at 11:13am   
erasistible
Forgot my pics!
November 22, 2013 at 11:22am   
sieglerdesign
Okay something not right on floor plan. If the wall to the right of the double window that is the wall that headboard sits on is 60" and the 2 windows are about 60" then that puts bed very close to dresser. In the picture you posted the wall area to the right side of the double windows (your side of the bed) is the increment I am missing. 60" does not work out well as it puts bed almost in front of door as you walk in. So, something is off! Best thing is to take OVERALL ROOM measurement north and south then east and west then show measurement for each wall or window. Right now bed is NOT in front of door as you walk in is it? Picture cannot show exactly.

And you have dresser now right?
November 23, 2013 at 9:36am   
erasistible
I think you are confused about which wall is the bed wall. I made the windows pink and put "bed window" where the bed is to go. It sits across the room from the chimney.

Bed wall (west wall) measures 60" on the right side of the window. Window 60". 60" on the left side of the window for a total of 180 inches. Bed is almost in front of the door. North wall measures 140" and the south wall measures 139".

I have the dressers right now.
November 23, 2013 at 8:32pm   
sieglerdesign
got it! No not confused. I think it is an optical illusion. In the photos you took, the wall to the right of the bed, as you are looking at bed seemed smaller than 60", the wall to left of bed as you are looking at it seemed wider than 60". Are you okay with using door to room on the right of the double doors? You are almost walking right into bed though right?
November 24, 2013 at 1:16pm   
erasistible
We use the door on the right. Yes. We are almost walking into bed. It is the only way to go in that room. Ha! It is not totally in front of the door. Just another quirk in my quirky house.....I did not draw the room to scale. I just kind of drew it and put wall measurements (most of them, anyway) in.
November 24, 2013 at 8:59pm   
sieglerdesign
Silver leaf idea on chimney wall. Google "silver leaf" or silver leaf wall covering to see what this treatment can look like!
December 18, 2013 at 12:47pm   
erasistible
It has been quite some time since I asked for help finding a bed. Well, I FOUND IT! I found all kinds of beds and briefly fell in love with them all. Turns out they were the wrong color, wrong material, wrong style, or too expensive. I decided on this one. It's French, Glam, Vintage-y, Modern, Plain, and Fancy. In other words, PERFECT for me. I opted for the just the headboard because my room is smallish.

When it arrives, I will get my lamps and drapes.
March 4, 2014 at 7:55pm     
chookchook2
Looks lovely, thanks for filling us in.
March 4, 2014 at 8:07pm      Thanked by erasistible
MarleneM
It is definitely all that you described! Love it!!
March 4, 2014 at 11:07pm      Thanked by erasistible
1807henry1
Thank goodness. Lots of effort finding just the right headboard !
March 5, 2014 at 7:32am     
erasistible
It was a lot of effort. I looked and looked. I was even thinking of making my own but I was afraid it wouldn't look like it did in my vision. Ha Ha!
March 5, 2014 at 8:44pm     
entryway
I have a dual staircase without enough room to put...
What do you guys think about the pattern placement of granite on this
I picked out this granite and it just installed couple...
Urgently Need help for a small bathroom
The bathroom measures just 4ft 6" x 6ft 8". There is...
living room
The room is our "living room" although we really don't...
Decorating dining room...ideas please!
Need ideas and examples pics of items to finish decorating...