Stain or paint??
ahouk95
We had a cabinet built into our dining room and cannot decide whether to paint or stain it. If we paint it we would paint it white, and perhaps add in copper ceiling tiles to the back to add some depth. The only problem I see with staining is that we have oak floors, an oak banister...and I don't really even like oak! Thoughts would be very much appreciated!
Ruthmary Dallman
I would totally paint it!
November 10, 2013 at 7:01AM     
dclostboy
I would paint for two reasons...consistency with rest of house and the great variation in grains on the fronts.
November 10, 2013 at 7:02AM     
apple_pie_order
Paint it white like the wainscoting. Nice design.
November 10, 2013 at 7:03AM     
Genevieve
It almost seems shame to paint over this beautiful wood and its grain ,if you really want to paint it I would go about it this way Paint the bottom part ,leave the top of the cabinet natural to match your table ,replace the top doors with glass ones and have some lights installed inside the cabinet to add sparkle to your crystal .

November 10, 2013 at 7:35AM     
Colour Theory
I loved Genevieve's idea about glass doors & lighting, however I'd recommend painting the whole thing the same white as your wainscot
November 10, 2013 at 7:43AM     
tennisanyone
Agree with Genevieve about glass doors and lighting and I would paint it white.
November 10, 2013 at 7:56AM     
Daybreak Workroom LLC
I would be more inclined to paint it. However... I did something in my workroom that I never, ever thought I would do and I love it.

Yup! I "pickled" the trim with a 50/50 mix of primer and water. I let the first coat "sit" for a bit, and then applied a second one that I wiped off. I finished it with 2 coats of satin finish interior polyurethane. The window mouldings and mopboards are white pine, and the railings around the stairwell are hemlock and all have "knots" (cost saving measure, "clear wood" or preprimed is expensive). I filled the really big pits in the wood and the nail holes but I didn't kill myself, by a longshot.

"Pickling" elicits a lot of rolled eyes, but sort of the same way a sponged or ragged finish does. A lot of the final result depends on the way the finish is applied in the first place. Not knowing your personal aesthetic or "look", I offer my experience because it may offer an unfussy alternative somewhere in between paint and stain.
November 10, 2013 at 8:01AM   
chookchook2
Paint
November 10, 2013 at 8:02AM     
A Crew of Two
Paint- what about a gorgeous wallpaper on the walls to add interest rather than copper?
November 10, 2013 at 8:06AM     
andj32
I'd paint them white to match the wainscoting. I also like the suggestion of glass doors.
November 10, 2013 at 8:09AM     
happyasaclam
So far, I think we all agree to paint.
November 10, 2013 at 8:12AM     
ronzdezines
I would use a couple of different ways to complete this. 1. Adding trim work to the lower cabinet doors to match your wainscott then paint. 2. The top cabinets I would remove the inner wood panels replace w glass, also adding glass shelves and lites in top to shine through and 3. As "A Crew of Two" mentioned, (and your photo is great btw) use a great looking wallpaper backing in uppers and as the backslash area. Don't forget to also paint the heating vent on the base as well...Color? Depends on whats going on elsewhere in your dining room.
November 10, 2013 at 8:22AM     
Paula Kates
I also love the idea of adding glass panels and backlighting. But don't forget it is always possible to preserve the beauty of the wood grain while changing the color of your cabinets by staining and glazing the wood. Here are some effects you can achieve with stain: http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/?gclid=CN6dws_O2roCFYNxOgodbVkAiw
November 10, 2013 at 8:23AM     
Paula Kates
Here are two more sources if you'd like to preserve the grain of the wood: http://www.foursistersfurniture.com/finishes/wood-stains-and-wood-finishes/environment-friendly-waterbase-finishes/waterbase-finishes.htm#EFCountryColors and http://www.house-painting-info.com/interior-wood-stain-color.html
In the interest of being user-friendly I've included the images. :)
November 10, 2013 at 7:33PM   
ahouk95
Thank you so much for all of your comments last week on this! I think I will probably paint it. I hate to admit, but they are actually just stock cabinets from Home Depot, but he did a very nice job adding paneling to connect them to each other, and to the wall. So please don't think I am painting over a custom carved cabinet!! I will post a picture when it is complete. Wish me luck! :)
November 16, 2013 at 4:57AM     
cliffordhome
I agree with the other posters- paint them white and please post the "after" picture.
November 16, 2013 at 5:01AM     
A Crew of Two
If these are oak, make sure you follow the correct steps so the wood grain does not show through the paint. The attached pic shows what happens if you don't....the finsih looks uneven.
November 16, 2013 at 5:48AM     
howellmsue
If you don't like oak painting seems like the only choice. I also think paint would look best based on the white molding that is already in your room.
November 16, 2013 at 6:18AM     
Michael Lee, Inc
Paint it but not white! Give it some color but stay towards the darker scale of any color, dark!
November 16, 2013 at 6:27AM   
ahouk95
@a crew of two...I see, thank you.
What are the correct steps?? Was just planning on a primer and then semi-gloss paint.
November 16, 2013 at 6:29AM     
Genevieve
The reason why I suggested the glass doors is to takeaway the kitchen cabinet look and make it more into a china cabinet that is more appropriate for a dining room.
November 16, 2013 at 6:44AM     
Designer Wallcoverings
Wallpaper is a good idea here. The space underneath the cabinet will get dirty over time. Even consider some tile.
November 16, 2013 at 6:45AM     
Genevieve
Have I misunderstood this question? Isn't this cabinet in the dining room?
November 16, 2013 at 7:01AM   
Genevieve
I would wall paper above the wainscotting and use a bit of the same wallpaper in between the cabinets

November 16, 2013 at 7:03AM     
ahouk95
Yes it is in the dining room
November 16, 2013 at 7:16AM     
ahouk95
Any ideas for what kind of wallpaper?? I already have those damask curtains (that I like)...so I'm not sure on design of wallpaper?
November 16, 2013 at 9:43AM   
I like the cab in this picture as it is so similar to your install. I would paint it your woodwork white, in semi-gloss and stain the shelf.
I can’t judge the size of your back splash, but how about 3 mirrors there?

'Sunburst' Mirrors
House 16
November 16, 2013 at 9:54AM   
leelee
Paint it and then paint the inside of the walls the same color as the rest of your room the nice yellow/gold. Don't do anything else until that's taken care of. Cabinets should go all the way to the ceiling. When paint you can add a piece of flat wood to close that gap--paint it white, too. It'll make your top cabinets look taller.
November 16, 2013 at 10:31AM   
Genevieve
Can you post a picture of the curtains this would also help :)
November 16, 2013 at 10:58AM   
Design with Vision
Paint it on the white spectrum, but add some glazing into the crevices for some character.
November 16, 2013 at 11:18AM   
shinyaqua98
I love white cabinets and I think they give the kitchen a fresh look.
November 20, 2013 at 7:24PM   
Paris Flea
I would paint it white; it would keep the eye from breaking at that point in the room. I would if you could stain the floors walnut and while your at it hit the top of the dining room table. I don't care for oak either - those reddish and yellowish undertones only flatter rooms that are in those paint families.
November 20, 2013 at 7:52PM   
Judiwithani
Paint it white. Also, continue wall paint behind cabinet
November 20, 2013 at 8:02PM   
ahouk95
The guy in the Home Depot paint department recommended that I start with "Gripper"base coat before painting. Anyone have experience with that? Should I put a poly coat on top of it or will regular paint be able to wash off well? Thanks!
November 22, 2013 at 5:51AM   
happyasaclam
Gripper is a primer and it also is a sealer. If you have stains such as soot or grease it helps make the primer adhere to the surface it is applied to. I doubt you have any heavy duty gunk built up on your cabinet, lol. I'd clean it to remove dirt that might be on it then use a liquid deglosser. Rustoleum make one called Zinsser. There are several more that you can buy at Home Depo or Lowes. Deglossers do what they sound like they do: take the gloss off of a finished surface to prepare it for primer or paint. It take the place of sanding the finish off and "roughs" up the surface so the primer will stick to the surface. Klean-Strip is one Home Depot carries. Hand sanding the finish off is dusty and it's difficult to get into the corners where the trim is. I have used them before and had no problem with paint peeling off. I personally would skip the Gripper, use a deglosser then use a good primer. I would use two coats of primer. Then paint!
November 22, 2013 at 8:33AM   
Lattimor House Designs
Add a crown moulding. Change the hardware and paint in an old antique finish.
November 22, 2013 at 8:40AM   
Sebastian
I strongly think you should stain it instead!
November 23, 2013 at 6:37PM   
gail1979
Paint the cabinets but stain the countertop.
November 23, 2013 at 10:12PM   
Sustainable Dwellings
If it is stark white, copper would not look as nice as another finish on your tile idea.
November 23, 2013 at 10:16PM   
alwaysdesigning
I would make that recess a color and design statement. Several ways to accomplish: paint the lower cabs white to blend with the wainscot, but the uppers can be a fun color. Change out those upper doors to glass for more sparkle and texture. Paint the insides of the uppers in a fun color to show through the glass. Stencil the wall around the upper cabs and ceiling for interest using a metallic for the stencil on top of the paint color you choose. Stencil the cabinets; or stencil inside the cabinets; or stencil under the upper cabinets, etc. Install under cabinet lighting. Have fun and Good luck with the project.
[houzz=Hathaway Residence]
[houzz=101 Central Park West: Kitchen Cabinets]
[houzz=Bar Cabinet]
[houzz=Hidden Bar]
[houzz=Showhouse Butler's Pantry]

this buffet has decorative leaded glass uppers and a framed in mirror under the uppers. Decorative brackets at each end for additional interest.
[houzz=Seattle, WA: Lisa Hebner]
November 23, 2013 at 10:35PM   
ahouk95
Well here it is!!! That is a possible plastic copper tiling backsplash but I think I'd prefer a nice wallpaper. Thoughts? :)
November 27, 2013 at 4:42PM     
tennisanyone
It came out great. Thanks for showing us.
November 27, 2013 at 4:58PM     
bears72
A wallpaper as shown by others before in the grey family to compliment your curtains and go further from brown oak colour.
November 27, 2013 at 5:31PM   
bears72
Or silver ceiling tile instead of your copper
November 27, 2013 at 5:32PM   
Could I use these pendant lights over a fairly large kitchen island?
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the space as...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Need help with granite/quartz colors
Appreciate all the previous help, so thanks for that....
Looking for advice on making this entry more welcoming
We need some help making our new house a home! Does...