Need Help For Tight Morning Room/Informal Living Space

catsgurleygirlNovember 10, 2013
Hello everyone, we are about to close on a house and I am freaking out a little over two of the rooms. This room is part of the kitchen, but the layout seems narrow and awkward for watching the tv (from the couch-it's perfect for the rest of the room). I really want this to be a space for visiting and being able to comfortably have several people (4-5) and also comfortably watch a movie. One idea I had was to get a down and out tv mount, so I could just swing the tv to optimum viewing level if we did want to watch a movie. But I just can't figure out optimum comfortable seating that works well with the space.
catsgurleygirl
Ooops, wasn't finished. Btw, this furniture is not mine, so I am starting with a blank slate. Also I am showing the doctored real estate photos so you can get a sense of the room although they are stretched and make the room seem much larger. I just don't know how to work this room so it doesn't feel crowded and awkward, but is still comfortable and inviting. I also have a 2.5 year old, so I need space for her to be able to play. I have tried to included all views to get a feel for the space. Thanks!
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:46AM
Could you fit something like this in that space? Looks as if you have 9’ from the back of the orange sofa to the fireplace…maybe more? Two sectionals, configured to fit the space, but leave room between each to get in and out of the area. Leave the “interior” sections armless.

You do not need to have chaises to make this arrangement work.
jamesthomas, LLC · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:51AM
Studio Z Architecture
I agree with you about either installing a TV mount that can allow you to lower the TV, or moving the TV to another location (to one of the side walls next to the window). Having it that high on the wall will make it uncomfortable for you to watch a movie.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:55AM
Marc Russell Interiors
It's really hard to judge scale by the pictures, but I would definitely draw the room out before buying anything. It looks like the room can hold a sectional, which works well in informal spaces. Light kit on the fan has to go! What's behind the TV? Looks like a window. If your planning on keeping the TV there, it's going to have to be dealt with Lastly, the projection of the articulating arm on the TV can be deep, so shop carefully. ( I have one, and we love it) Good luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 9:00AM
catsgurleygirl
Thanks! IamJudy, I don't think the space will hold 2 sectionals-I don't know if it will hold 1 (without feeling crowded). I am wondering about a couch on the wall with a sofa table behind it and then 2 chairs where the sofa is now in the photos. I have to keep in mind door clearance to the outside as well. There is a hole in the wall (for a small tv). I was thinking about having it filled in (leaving narrow space at bottom for components). Thanks for the heads up about tv arm.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 9:35AM
Need help with my foyer, living room, dining room open concept space
I have a 2 story foyer, to the right is the dining...
chrissytaraborelli
Need help for living room space
Here is a photo of our soon to be home. The space is...
Mav Helvad
Need Help with my Tight Living Room
I have a tricky living room area that needs some help....
chhotsko
Need help for open plan living space with 2 living areas and 2 tv's
My wife and I are currently designing a new house approx....
aaronalecia
Informal Living Room Help
I am in need of adding some color and flair to my informal...
Rosa Arroyo
Can whirlpool tub be converted to regular tub?
We just bought a house with this whirlpool tub in it....
inky56
Please help me pick out decor and comforter
Hello all, I am going to purchase this bed from West...
terryberry67
Hi I need help to look for this siding or at least a name of it.
I tried to contact other people but found your site...
jdon9394
Need curb appeal!!
This house was completely remodeled. The inside of...
Meredith at William E. Wood & Assoc
TV stand upcycle help
I'm using a tv stand between my chairs and I have no...
sapptc1