Connecting Dining Room and Living Room
Dee LindahNovember 10, 2013
Hello all!

I bought an single story house built in 1988 and that has lovely high ceilings. As you come into the front door directly you step down 4 or so steps to a living room/dining room area. My house is u-shaped, and the base of the U is a combined living room w/a fire place, and a dining room that are separated by a low wall/partition - no clue what the real word is for this separation or design.

I'm interested in getting ideas on furniture placement - if there's a way for me to put in a discrete television in the living room (otherwise it will never really be used except for formal visits and for a Christmas tree.

I've attached images from the previous owners due to my own laziness, so please no insults the color scheme, furniture, or fixtures.
Diane Kremer, ASID CID
Invest in a professional designer for 3 hrs. It will be the best money you will spend. Depending on where you live, it could cost from $100 to $500.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Dee Lindah    November 10, 2013 at 11:24AM
gardenarian
I would switch dining/living spaces. Put the dining table in the living area, with a couple of comfy armchairs near the fireplace. Guests will sit right down at the table and pull up a chair. Put your sofa and TV in the "dining" area. Place the TV low on the wall that has the partition window thingy and the sofa opposite. You'll get better use of both spaces and still a nice area to put the Christmas tree. Put some plants on the ledge of the partition (they'll be over the TV.)
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Dee Lindah    November 10, 2013 at 11:56AM
caterfran
I like switching living room with dining room. Can you open your table a bit?
    Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 11:04AM
Diane Kremer, ASID CID
Based on the photos, the dining room is very small. So switching the rooms is not an option. Look at the space. The sofa would be too close to the TV and low on the wall will not provide a good viewing angle. Without measurements, difficult to really see what will really work.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Dee Lindah    November 13, 2013 at 10:55PM
Rugsville
I agree with Diane, you dining area is quite small i think you should shift large things into living area.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Dee Lindah    November 13, 2013 at 11:16PM
LB Interiors
I would place a loveseat size sofa where the brown one is now. I would put a TV opposite the brown sofa hidden in a cabinet. Two swivel chairs opposite the sofa, to turn toward the hidden TV. I would also place two chairs opposite the fireplace.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Dee Lindah    November 13, 2013 at 11:47PM
Dee Lindah
@caterfran, that's actually not my table. I have a table that's slightly larger and pulls out - I'll switch them and see what happens. ;)
    Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 11:55PM
Formal dining and living room connected...?
As soon as you enter our home to your right is an open...
jsmaria
Living room carpet - colourful persian or Beni Ourain?
Hi We are replacing our living room carpet. We have...
Meggie Ross
Help to decide an open concept connecting kitchen and living room
I am renovating and need to begin with a design to...
renolover
Is tile in the kitchen outdated?
97% of the kitchen designs on here have hardwood in...
Mark De Sevo
Jana Lanford
Master Bath Flooring dilemma
I am having trouble deciding on a floor tile for my...
ccort
Need paint color suggestions for bathroom
I am hiring a painter to repaint my master bathroom....
smugsy1122
Living Room Deco Ideas - How to add some color
Good morning, I bought a home a few months ago and...
Cheryl Wells
Family Room Ideas!
I need help with the finishing touches on our family...
dsnason
need help....
yeah ! I need to place a TV in front of window..how...
Bhaskar Brendan