How do I make this kitchen look aesthetically pleasing??
desigal
Hello,

This is a fairly dark room because of little sun on this side. the wood plus the UV filters on the windows and doors do not help. This was taken at 3 pm and with all lights on!

I have decluttered it as much as I could. It overlooks the dining table and tv/living room area.

The house is med/tuscan and i am trying to keep the look eclectic in my choice of bar stools and furniture.

What can I add for some visual interest??
Any help in color combos for kitchen would also be appreciated.

thanks!
industrialing
Add some bright colors in the furniture to balance the neturals
November 10, 2013 at 11:41am   
desigal
hi! i guess, i was looking more feedback in terms of what to put in the kitchen? do i put a bowl of fruit? or these days i am enamored by clake platters. should i buy diff heights and work with those? things like that :) thank you!
November 10, 2013 at 11:44am   
Wyland Interior Design Center
What a beautiful kitchen! I would try changing out lighting and light bulbs first. Do you know if have LED under cabinet lighting? It looks like it might be halogen puck lights. Adding some brighter LED strip light would up for the under cabinet lighting.

Consider changing the recess can lights with a LED bulb too. The can be expensive but can pay for themselves since they area energy efficient and have longer life. The only complaint that I have heard about them it is too bright afterwards. Make sure you buy the dimmable ones.

You could also adds some up lighting on top of the cabinets.
November 10, 2013 at 11:58am        Thanked by desigal
desigal
hi! the lights that u see on are the only lights. i am slowly changing all the recess lights to led bulbs. my first pge bill was a shock. :) thanks!
November 10, 2013 at 12:01pm   
Wyland Interior Design Center
In terms of colors, the kitchen is neutral enough that you could almost go with most any colors. Find some decorative items to place on top of the cabinets such as plates on place holder, realistic silk plants, decorative vinegar bottles, baskets, wine bottles on a small wire wine rack, tea pots, a rooster, cookbooks on a plate holder. How about a nice large colorful bowl with fruit on the island.

I would find what you like and try them out. Move them around the room to see what looks best where. Remember the design principle of groupings of three (or odd numbers better than even) items together and making sure they are different heights within the group.

I would wait to select a paint color after you have found the decorative items you want to place around the room. There could be a color in one of the items that you want to pull in.
November 10, 2013 at 12:07pm        Thanked by desigal
caterfran
Its a beautiful kitchen. Tuscan pottery a colorful area rug. I love hanging racks over an island with pots, strainers, big colorful cook potsp hanging.
November 10, 2013 at 12:07pm      Thanked by desigal
indianpatti
roman shades would look nice ... pick a color from the shade and use for pendant lights in that color .. red pendants would look good with pictured shade.
desigal
caterfran: i have enough space that i do not need to hang pots and pans? does that make sense? i would rather it be functional also :)
November 10, 2013 at 12:09pm     
desigal
indianpatti: thanks! i 'll take a look at some color combos and see what i come with..
November 10, 2013 at 12:09pm   
Wyland Interior Design Center
LED lights area extremely expensive, but like I said they do pay for themselves due to being energy efficient and some are guaranteed to not burn out for 7 years or more.
November 10, 2013 at 12:13pm   
anne dee
November 10, 2013 at 12:14pm     
anne dee
other ideas for accessorising

continue on the link for additional ideas.
November 10, 2013 at 12:18pm      Thanked by desigal
iluvdiy
How about hanging some art on the wall to the left of the refrig - is that a hallway? The window treatment idea is a good one. You could also add a shelf above the window for a collection - pottery, cake stands, wine racks? The counters are large so I would opt for very large scale accessories, like huge basket or tray for instance on the island. I also think pots of fresh herbs are beautiful and functional in the kitchen. Cookbook collection? Crocks of utensils you use? Basket of colorful hand towels? You could even use some small rustic chairs as plant stands or set a child's small antique tricycle up on the counter- whatever makes you smile every time you look at it. Have fun!
November 10, 2013 at 12:48pm      Thanked by desigal
nechamaj
White!
White fruit bowl,
White planter,
White tray,
White towels,
White dishes,
White mugs
Some white will brighten it up.
November 10, 2013 at 1:28pm   
reba120
Fresh flowers!
November 10, 2013 at 1:59pm        Thanked by desigal
I'd head toward creams and blues, with a touch of yellow.
November 10, 2013 at 2:35pm        Thanked by desigal
nechamaj
The blue window treatment is great! How did you think of blue?
November 10, 2013 at 3:35pm   
desigal
i love the shade and the color blue also :) however, the tiles are brown/beige - do u think it would blend well?? also, the shade i love but its more contemporary.. does that go well??? what do u think???

if i went the shade route.. i woudl do it for the aesthetics.. its alraedy too dark in there!

let me take a look at everything i have and see wht i come up with..
November 10, 2013 at 4:23pm   
caterfran
Me too. I have tons of storage space. I just love hanging pots and pans. Diane sawyer hangs her pots.!
November 10, 2013 at 5:22pm   
desigal
caterfran: lol maybe its just me.. or the fact that i have le creuset and not the gleaming copper. hence, not conducive to hanging? or the fact that it would just annoy me personally :) or its a combo of both :)
November 10, 2013 at 5:23pm   
McLusky Showcase Kitchens & Baths
There are alot of good suggestions but even with all of these decorating tips you should really stop and correct your lighting. I would change out the under cabinet lights replacing them with LED. I would also install LED uplighting above the cabinets. I like the use of blue, perhaps add some blues glass in bottles or bowls that would be on the countertops to balance the room.
November 10, 2013 at 5:41pm   
eightpondfarm
i thought blue too. must have been the yellow walls. the hanging light fixtures look too small to me, larger shade or different lights altogether might work. agreeing that the window needs....something. don't know what.
November 10, 2013 at 5:41pm   
desigal
hi! thank you so much for all the suggestions. so, i looked through the photos and links recommended. What options do I have if i do not want to go the pottery with blue accents, route? it just did not appeal to me. is there anything else i can do. also, i figure that the living room color scheme, has to be cohesive with the kitchen and dining table room... i wonder how all of that will play in.

can i do accessories like here?

November 10, 2013 at 10:38pm   
Need help defining space
I have an eclectic mix of furniture and colors for...
Kitchen
We purchased a 1890's farmhouse that we are remodeling....
Need help for this den!
Our den needs help! Any suggestions for updating ?
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
How would you use our Turkish-T Basic Bath?
Our Basic Bath is 70" x 40" of beautiful loomed Turkish...