How to fix odd built-in furniture?
js2299
We want to put an offer on this house however it has 2 rooms with this odd built-in furniture. Has anyone seen this before? Is it easy to fix? Do you think it's possible it's hiding some defect? Would it be easy/cheap to fix? Thanks!!
sieglerdesign
Oh I think it's just a "mod" 80's thing. What is the broken part? I would think carpet or finish on it would need to be replaced. If I wanted house I would assume it would come out or at least be reworked. Execution looks average so it's kind of funky. If it had been beautifully finished in stained wood then I might have a different attitude but, right now I put it in "take it or leave it" category. How does quality seem to you?
November 10, 2013 at 4:12pm   
js2299
I think the den is worn out but the bedroom is still in good condition. By "fix" I guess meant remove :) Good quality or not, it just seems ugly to me. I'm just worried it is a bigger project than it seems. For example, the closet in the bedroom is on the top step. Will the floor go down in the closet easily if we remove the built-in?
November 10, 2013 at 4:23pm   
Marc Russell Interiors
It looks like it would come out fairly easily, but the bedroom concerns me. I would hire an experienced home inspector to check it out. Even if it does all come out easy, there's alot of repair that will need to be done to the walls, closet doors, and all new flooring. Good luck!
November 10, 2013 at 4:40pm   
Angel18432
Did the present home owner do the work or did they buy it this way?
Maybe they can answer some of your concerns.

I see what you mean about the closet. That seems like a major question. If the price is right, maybe you could make an offer, taking into consideration there may be a bit of remodeling involved.

Has it been on the market for a while because of this? When it comes down to it,
anything is possible in regards to renovation - it just depends how much you want to
spend.

Take this into consideration with an offer. Maybe it has a beautiful yard/view -
other features you love.

Good Luck.
November 10, 2013 at 4:50pm     
apple_pie_order
Time capsule since the 1970's. I agree a home inspector is needed. The electrical wiring under the furniture, if any, may be particularly creative. Ask the current homeowners about the construction; be positive rather than adversarial in asking. You can also ask what is under the carpet on the floors.
November 10, 2013 at 5:15pm   
js2299
All good points. Thanks. We love the house otherwise.
November 10, 2013 at 5:20pm   
TV cables on a wall
Looking for ways to creatively cover cables hanging...
First Time Homebuyer, Kitchen Painting Dilemma
Our kitchen is open to the dining room which has a...
Toilet seat won't stay up
Has anyone come across a failsafe way to keep a toilet...
Ranch home
Hi there! We are in the process of purchasing this...
Should I replace the cabinets?
I bought a house from the 60s. Wallpaper, shag carpet,...