Designers in Chicagoland Area
Josie Scaletta
Hi! I posted under a different topic earlier this week. Do you have a referral for a designer. Did not have luck on contacting ones from this site and the last person basically wanted me to agree over the 1st call that I would do everything under the sun with her company including buying the furniture from them. Crazy! How could I agree to that when I don't even know the design or what I want. Looking for guidance on wallcolors, space planning and ideas on furniture, but definitely not looking for someone who makes me promise to use all their vendors and buy furniture from them.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Wow, I am so sorry to hear this......I would hope that the professionals that are on Houzz would be truly professional.

I also would hope that the houzz.com staff would take note and do something about this. It makes us "professionals" look bad.........

Meanwhile, try asking around at the local decor shops for names of good designers and contractors. Often times a contractor will be able to give you the names of reputable designers that they do repeat business with who would be honest and trustworthy.

Good luck........
Too bad that we are far away, not in the Chicago area.
November 10, 2013 at 10:18pm     
DMH DESIGN
Typically, most pros offer either a gratis or a fixed fee initial consult., usually capped at one hour or two, in order to establish a level of comfort and understanding. In fact, I had a consult today that was sans fixed fee, and it will generate some business for my firm. The 'right' firm for your project will offer you something that you will perceive as value for your need prior to tendering a contract. Good business is a good deal for both parties. When both parties are comfortable with each other, each party benefits from the transaction. Happy Houzzing.
November 10, 2013 at 10:44pm     
Josie Scaletta
@ Lampert - the company that I was referring to above is about 30 minutes from where I live. She sounded like a 3300 sq ft home was not worth her time to come out to my neighborhood. I also found that it was strange that they limit themselves to only Chicago when surrounding suburbs are not far once you jump on the expressway. I will take your suggestion of asking local decor shops. That's a great idea. Thank you.
November 11, 2013 at 9:04am   
Josie Scaletta
What would you say is the avg price of a 1st time consultation?
November 11, 2013 at 10:05am   
DMH DESIGN
Not to put words in the mouth of others, if I was in your area, it would be my hourly rate plus drive time. For a project like yours, I would figure a couple of hours, at a minimum. If you anticipated any modifications to the building envelope/lot coverage, I would have done at least some cursory on line research ahead of our meeting, so that you, as I said earlier in the thread, receive a value from our meeting that meets and exceeds your expectations, because we would have discussed the extent of your anticipated changes, prior to our meeting, allowing me the opportunity to do some initial code research, and/or gather some examples pertinent to your endeavor.
November 11, 2013 at 10:17am     
Josie Scaletta
Thank you.
November 11, 2013 at 10:23am   
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Mixing wood colors in the same room.
I'll be moving into our first house soon after renting...
Help with colours for dining room table and console table!!
Hi! We need to buy a dining table set (to replace the...
Grease stains on wall
The 30 year old kitchen is in desperate need of a remodel....