Designers in Chicagoland Area
Josie ScalettaNovember 10, 2013
Hi! I posted under a different topic earlier this week. Do you have a referral for a designer. Did not have luck on contacting ones from this site and the last person basically wanted me to agree over the 1st call that I would do everything under the sun with her company including buying the furniture from them. Crazy! How could I agree to that when I don't even know the design or what I want. Looking for guidance on wallcolors, space planning and ideas on furniture, but definitely not looking for someone who makes me promise to use all their vendors and buy furniture from them.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Wow, I am so sorry to hear this......I would hope that the professionals that are on Houzz would be truly professional.

I also would hope that the houzz.com staff would take note and do something about this. It makes us "professionals" look bad.........

Meanwhile, try asking around at the local decor shops for names of good designers and contractors. Often times a contractor will be able to give you the names of reputable designers that they do repeat business with who would be honest and trustworthy.

Good luck........
Too bad that we are far away, not in the Chicago area.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 10:18PM
DMH DESIGN
Typically, most pros offer either a gratis or a fixed fee initial consult., usually capped at one hour or two, in order to establish a level of comfort and understanding. In fact, I had a consult today that was sans fixed fee, and it will generate some business for my firm. The 'right' firm for your project will offer you something that you will perceive as value for your need prior to tendering a contract. Good business is a good deal for both parties. When both parties are comfortable with each other, each party benefits from the transaction. Happy Houzzing.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 10:44PM
Josie Scaletta
@ Lampert - the company that I was referring to above is about 30 minutes from where I live. She sounded like a 3300 sq ft home was not worth her time to come out to my neighborhood. I also found that it was strange that they limit themselves to only Chicago when surrounding suburbs are not far once you jump on the expressway. I will take your suggestion of asking local decor shops. That's a great idea. Thank you.
    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 9:04AM
Josie Scaletta
What would you say is the avg price of a 1st time consultation?
    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:05AM
DMH DESIGN
Not to put words in the mouth of others, if I was in your area, it would be my hourly rate plus drive time. For a project like yours, I would figure a couple of hours, at a minimum. If you anticipated any modifications to the building envelope/lot coverage, I would have done at least some cursory on line research ahead of our meeting, so that you, as I said earlier in the thread, receive a value from our meeting that meets and exceeds your expectations, because we would have discussed the extent of your anticipated changes, prior to our meeting, allowing me the opportunity to do some initial code research, and/or gather some examples pertinent to your endeavor.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:17AM
Josie Scaletta
Thank you.
    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:23AM
Do I need an architect, interior designer or something else?
We have a 1915 historical home in Chicagoland and are...
kday72
Help designing a giant great room/formal dining area
I need some help to try and figure out what to do with...
krystal ♥
Kitchen area with Octacon windows. need to design a table and seating area
Looking for a design for a kitchen that would fit a...
blazeman11
Good furniture stores in Chicagoland?
I've been searching for the perfect dinette table for...
spring5
Bedroom help needed please
Bought new nightstand, mercury glass lamps... trying...
Julie Dyer
Need help with my dining room!
I love my dining table, but not crazy about the chairs,...
mdediaz
What goes with this chair?
I need help figuring out what to out with my new chair!...
wapusk99
Help in my kitchen
Please help! My brand new slide in range (non-returnable)...
windfern