Electrical outlets for basement
rboyd2003
We are planning a basement remodel and will install engineered hardwood over concrete. The furniture arrangement will be floating -- away from walls. What is the best way to handle providing electrical outlets for table/floor lamps located away from walls? Not sure how floor outlets are handled in basements. Thanks.
yoboseiyo
are you doing the install, or are you having this done?
it is possible to put in floor outlets, but you probably want a professional to take care of that.

i'd be a little iffy on doing it myself.
November 11, 2013 at 9:25am   
rboyd2003
We have a general contractor for the basement remodel.
November 11, 2013 at 9:41am   
yoboseiyo
i'd talk the the contractor then. i'm sure they've heard of putting the outlets in the floors, and probably know someone who knows how to do it.
November 11, 2013 at 9:44am      Thanked by rboyd2003
countbla
Any licenced electrician should know how to install these properly. Because of flooding risks in basements I would insist on putting these floor outlets on a gfci breaker.
November 11, 2013 at 9:00pm   
Fred S
If you want hardwood flooring in your basement, which is a big risk due to concrete moisture anyway, I would not make the risk much greater by putting extra holes in the concrete floor. A GFCI does not really protect anything extra in a flood situation. A standard breaker will trip just fine. AFCI breakers are now required in the U.S. A GFCI detects an unbalanced load usually caused by something like a worn cord drug through a puddle. GFCI protection is usually accomplished at the outlet because it doesn't really provide any necessary protection for the circuit itself if installed properly. Circuit breakers and AFCI breakers are installed at the panel to protect the circuit. A floor outlet circuit breaker will be the first thing to trip if things get flooded. You could argue that even a second floor bedroom would gain some degree of safety with GFCI protected outlets, but a finished basement is no different than the second floor bedroom in this case.
November 12, 2013 at 2:56am     
where do I put floor electrical outlets in a den
Is there a formula that will tell you how far away...
Electrical outlet system?
Hello, lovely kitchen. What system did you use to...
Electrical outlets?
Hello, can you tell me where you tucked the electrical...
need help with kitchen electrical outlets
I lost back splash with electrical outlets due to lowering...
Need to understand differences in countertop materials
Beginning a bathroom remodel. What is the best countertop...
Entryway help! Rug? No Rug?
I have an L-shaped entryway and I can't decide whether...
bar cabinet
Hi, I have this bar cabinet I love but I'm not sure...
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...