Large wall help!
jillcdaniels
Ok. Just renovated the kitchen, and family room space. Need help with the large wall above the sofa. The back wall will have a collage of frames. (Brown paper just showing where other frames will go) pics of my family will be in the frames. Mostly my girls :) what to do with big wall???? My rug is kinda busy (don't love it, but not willing to buy a new one at this point.
jillcdaniels
would something like this be too busy with my rug?
http://txtlart.com/kiertokits.html
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 9:52AM
jillcdaniels
oh, and this is the family room/play area :) wont have millions of toys forever!
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 9:53AM
Rina
Definitely not too busy; nice choice. I would add another cushion in the same green as the one you have, and also one in the lighter green. That would tie it in neatly.
3 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 10:08AM
jillcdaniels
its also only 54 inches wide..... maybe too small?
1 Like   November 11, 2013 at 10:09AM
jillcdaniels
And then I was thinking it might look better in this room that is also in need of large wall art...
3 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 10:11AM
nachoz
You can paint the wall. Painting just one wall with color seems to be popular these days
1 Like   November 11, 2013 at 10:12AM
jillcdaniels
uhhhh, just painted. dont want to do it again :)
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 10:13AM
yoboseiyo
if the painting is too small, you can use smaller images on either side to make it have a larger "presence".

either skinny and the same height as the painting, or two on each side, stacked.
proportions should either be half and half on height, or 1/3 : 2/3.
if that makes sense.
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 10:20AM
jillcdaniels
i wanted to put "one" piece of art on that wall, because the wall next to it has 14 frames.....
3 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 10:21AM
Rina
I'm lousy at estimating sizes from photographs, but I suggest you cut a piece of brown paper to the size of that piece and stick it to the wall -- I wouldn't centre it above that piece of the sectional, put it more to the right. If the size looks right to you, and that's a gut feeling, go for it. I like what you've done with the gallery wall; trust your instincts.

The second room you've posted, which is lovely (mad about that hoss), needs something entirely different. You could think of two or three large verticals (portrait format) there. But I am off to bed now ... good night.
1 Like   November 11, 2013 at 10:48AM
Julie Elder
Sometimes room-divider screens (especially carved wooden ones) make great large wall hangings.
3 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 11:02AM
jillcdaniels
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Jaxon_Wall_Plaque_-_Set_of_3/470/

something like this? its 48 x 48 tho... im sure i could space out slightly more, but is 48 too tall? its 64 inches from the top of the sofa to the ceiling. is something like this too rustic looking? my stuff is kinda contemporary/modern (except for my rug)
2 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 11:39AM
wallysgirll
The wall art you chose is perfect for that room! If it's not quite big enough, could you place it on a larger piece of board painted a complimentary color? Kind of like matting it in reverse!
2 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 11:48AM
jillcdaniels
It's a fabric wall hanging so it wraps around the frame...
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 11:50AM
halfpint2
You could go with a large framed piece of artwork, or two smaller pictures.
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 12:09PM
bent7anona
I like the sofa
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 12:51PM
yoboseiyo
"i wanted to put "one" piece of art on that wall, because the wall next to it has 14 frames....."
i understand.

that piece you picked comes in a larger 48x54 size. that would fill up that space very nicely.
1 Like   November 11, 2013 at 12:55PM
ilsephilips
I would put all the frames on the large wall and keep the 'small' wall free of anything. The frames could be in the same wood/color as the shelves next to the fireplace. That way you create a 'focal point' in your room. I like the rug very much ;-)
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 12:56PM
jillcdaniels
They are both 54 wide. One is just a bit taller. I'll try to find some paper to put in its place.
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 12:57PM
jillcdaniels
I just got these frames. Not getting new ones. I have stools in the kitchen in the same wood tho.
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 1:02PM
decorideas523
I am a fan of large decorative mirrors. Maybe if you found a large mirror with basically the same type frame as the collage.
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 1:11PM
ilsephilips
then i would go for a large piece of art. landscape format, and with the colors of the rug in it.
2 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 1:41PM
Design Details
If one wall is going to be hung 'salon style' with lots of little frames you need a Big piece of art to go behind the big sofa. A 5' x 7' kilim or wall hanging would look great and not cost a lot. I wouldn't bother matching the carpet. Just get another flat weave rug to cover it.
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 2:04PM
jillcdaniels
Cover the rug? Huh?
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 2:08PM
debranor
Going with the small credenza that looks like Nathan Yong's Line piece, and the contemporary stools, I would hang a large Rothko on that wall. There are quite a few online art stores that give you the choice of either poster or canvas. Some even have artists that will reproduce a piece for you for cheaper than you think. The colors are saturated, and his art is in the minimalist/contemporary style, which will not compete with your rug, but rather compliment it, while creating a beautiful focal point. If you go the canvas route, keep it unframed, especially if it's large. Good luck!
1 Like   November 11, 2013 at 4:09PM
jillcdaniels
Who is Nathan young? I just had this and the shelves made for this space next to the fireplace. It's great. The remote works thru the doors, and my subwoofer is in there :)
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 5:03PM
jillcdaniels
Oh. Funny. Just looked up Nathan young. One of his credenzas was the inspiration for the bottom part :)
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 5:07PM
debranor
Inspiring minds think alike!! :)
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 5:50PM
armipeg
Two round mirrors next to each other with dark or stained wood frames would give a whole new dimension to this beautifully arranged room.
1 Like   November 11, 2013 at 8:10PM
rakesh4700
how much cost pay for it approax
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 3:07AM
jillcdaniels
Thought about the mirror idea, but I have a huge mirror in the living room and one in the foyer. Don't want too many mirrors...
1 Like   November 12, 2013 at 3:44AM
indianpatti
I think your art choice will look nice in the room.

Contact this company and explain to them that you would like the piece to be wider .. maybe they could do this for you.
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 3:57AM
Mark
If you have a colorful fabric that you really love that goes with your décor then you can purchase a large canvas the size you want and cover the canvas with the material. Here is an example.
6 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 4:11AM
cindyguent
The idea that Mark provided would be great for the other room. The same company could provide that I think, as their web site says just pick any fabric you want and they can put on frame or DIY. I do like what you've chosen so far.
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 5:03AM
leelee
I'd create more of a theme. All the pics in a collage might be too busy esp with the rug.

Love the vintage travel posters (food or wine, too) for large walls. Baskets would be interesting.
1 Like   November 12, 2013 at 5:13AM
jillcdaniels
The photos in frames are going on that back wall. That's why I'm not sure a collage or collection would be right for the big wall...
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 5:18AM
Vibrant Abstract painting studio
1 Like   November 12, 2013 at 7:09AM
armipeg
How about covering that wall will wall paper of your choice?
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 7:10AM
I think you have a start on this look; just add paper.

1 Like   November 12, 2013 at 7:23AM
Seen this lots of times, but it still works for me in family rooms. When I look at your first photo with the brown paper stuck on the walls, I really like that color in your room.

4 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 7:30AM
Mark
2 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 7:44AM
jillcdaniels
Decals not a bad idea. I get worried that it will look like a kids room tho.
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 8:14AM
Debp
I think your idea of one piece is exactly right. I like the one you chose. I believe someone above found it in a larger size for you. Your photo wall will be awesome. Could you try the frames a little closer together and not quite so high? Love the play area behind the couch. Perfect.
1 Like   November 12, 2013 at 8:16AM
Rina
I think I'd still go with your original choice, if you can get it at the right size.
1 Like   November 12, 2013 at 8:17AM
Get some storage baskets for toys add a arc lamp to the left. Over sofa 6" above add 3 pictures, tall 24-30" with color, even posters would be fun. Dark frames. 2" between each. Add a large coffee table 24" or a large leather square ottoman. Rug is fine.
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 8:53AM
Push sofa down from door about 20" it's too close to that door. Add a tall lamp to table.
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 8:54AM
Just because a wall on other side of room has art. Doesn't have anything to do with wall over your sectional. Get one big piece for living. Room. This home looks familiar, were u on Houzz before with the living room? If so it came out nice.
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 8:58AM
jillcdaniels
The sofa is where it is because the toys are in bAck. There is a play kitchen there too. For now-it stays put. The lack of coffee table is also because my kids play and dance here. When they are bigger I'll add one, and move the couch back a bit.
2 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 8:59AM
jillcdaniels
Yes. I was on before with my living room. I still need art in there :)
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 9:00AM
jillcdaniels
Also, the arc lamp in the living room was meant for over this sectional. But now I like it in there.
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 9:01AM
becktribe
I like the wall decals or stencil idea, and the screens idea as well. Those can be temporary and you can change them around. The wall art would be very nice in the other room. Mirrors can be a good choice, they add some shine & bling. Something textural would be a good accent, perhaps a tapestry/wool hanging? And I am suddenly obsessed with botanical prints and old maps. Might not go with your newer style couch...
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 9:33AM
karentaggartonly
I'd invest in a large painting or two. www.martisomers.com
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 9:48AM
MBK Décor
3 options:
1) A nice large artwork
2) Accent wall by painting the entire wall a darker colour and put an artwork.
3) Accent wall: A nice wallpaper.

I would also put behind the sectionnal an accent table with a beautiful plant.

All the best,

Sébastien, MBK Décor
0 Likes   November 12, 2013 at 12:00PM
Premier Decoration
My idea , The problem is not the wall big, but the colors are down below. We could 1. wall behind the sofa : big art work, but not a small busy design on. Or: nice wallpaper 2.wall which you plan the hang small frames: try to group them by moving them closer as a big group (you will feel there is only one frame. 3. Change the carpet, choose fashionable, modern or even big graphic on. Have fun!
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 12:37AM
Premier Decoration
One more thing, continue color of the wall art pieces with the brown (sofa's).
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 12:39AM
Harper Professional Painting
I would like to see a soft faux on large wall such as a suede finish or a knockdown application. Not a busy look but a soft suttle look that would flow nicely with fireplace
Plus this look would not affect rug
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 1:14AM
kiarasharchi
Dude that wall needs a biiiig black and white classic painting
U should go see alot of galleries
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 1:21AM
melanieradley
Even though you just remodeled, I'd rethink that space--To me the problem isn't the wall, it's the couch that's like the elephant in the room. If you move it out, you have a wonderful blank wall for a flat screen tv with a few comfy barrel swivels, your rug becomes centered, some oversized floor pillows for sprawling and watching, more space for kids play, room for a bigger table for crafts now, cozy suppers later and then homework--I'd enclose the shelves next to the fireplace with some doors that match your cabinetry and store all those toys. The overflow can go on a low credenza piece below the tv or you could do a whole media center with a built in bar
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 8:08AM
jillcdaniels
The layout of our furniture works great. The tv is on the fireplace. My kitchen is opposite that couch. Don't want the back of the couch facing the kitchen.
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 8:10AM
jillcdaniels
Different perspective. Plus-I like the toys out. I have a toddler. I can't put the toys up on the shelves. She is only 3 ft tall :) this is a family space and my toddler and 5 year old make up half of the family. It's their space too.
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 8:12AM
dtshaw82
Personally, I would go with a natural looking rug to go with the nice stone on the wall and maybe a late piece of art or two like a oversized clock, or painting. You could always swap the frames on the back wall to above the couch.
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 8:20AM
jillcdaniels
I have this rug. It was expensive and it doesn't necessarily go perfectly in my room, but I have it and I'm not getting a new one right now. I just want something on the big wall behind the couch. One day I'll get a new rug. But it's not happening soon.
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 8:24AM
jillcdaniels
https://www.google.com/search?q=birch+tree+decals+for+walls&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

What if I did something like this in dark brown. It's organic looking so it would go with the rug and the fireplace area. Not busy, but would fill the wall. Or is it too juvenile? Could be cool-maybe...
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 9:11AM
jillcdaniels
4 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 9:20AM
Mark
The last one you posted would be lovely.
2 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 9:40AM
swaneee
Would you consider a large rectangular mirror? Looks like the space could do with some reflected light.
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 1:56PM
jillcdaniels
Just worried about over mirroring. I have a huge mirror in the living room and another in the foyer.
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 1:57PM
sandraraby
I did a wall of clocks., love it! can add few at a time and always a work in progress.
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 3:27PM
rosecafe
Sandraraby, a few at a Time ; ) Funny, but you couldn't you get wound up in a decorating venture like that ? I'd go Cukoo !
3 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 3:53AM
mariquis
A big painting
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 5:23AM
sandraraby
LOL, the ticking is like a dance in time., so removing some of the batteries helps. but lots of clocks are silent tickers., plus no one ever has a problem buying me a gift!
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 7:37AM
It's a Beautiful World!
Jill, if you are still looking for art and need flexibility as far as sizes, using art prints would be a good idea. Prints are usually available in various sizes and on different surfaces. For example, we offer prints on paper, canvas, acrylic or metal, in virtually any size. You can check out our houzz page here or our main site below. Enjoy!
Raisa http://ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 9:02AM
Laurence Tillett
I'm a great believer in odd numbers when decorating. I would get one huge big vertical print, then two smaller square ones to hang over that fabulous sofa. Go with some colors that speak to you....abstract art in all sizes can be found at Art.com.
1 Like   November 17, 2013 at 12:15PM
shamo1
I too was thinking you could use a projector and show on that wall, but having the seating at your counter will not work. If I might suggest, you need a substantial item to the left of the sectional on the wall to counter the weight of the fireplace and shelving to the left. How about a cabinet and shelving to the left of the sofa. As a piece for the wall I suggest you look at hanging a rug. In this way you can try a variety of them until you find one that fits the space colors and patterns. You can try any size you want as well. An added benefit is the sound dampening aspect of such material. This way costs you nothing to try a variety of options except for a bit of time.
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 3:40PM
jillcdaniels
I have a lamp that is for in back of the couch, but I like the space empty right now because the kids play back there. Lots of good ideas for the wall-I think it will just take me some time to find the right thing...
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 3:56PM
jillcdaniels
What about this? Would it clash with the silver in my kitchen?
https://m.ballarddesigns.com/products/224961?path=~sacha-mirror~
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 2:02PM
sandraraby
Just checked out sacha-mirror. Love it! different., would look great. you can use different metals without worry. If you love it. go for it!
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 6:32PM
Rina
I like that! The mirrors would pick up the lights from the pendants. Very pretty.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:44PM
jillcdaniels
So-if I get it I should get 2? They are 40 inch square. Then center on sofa or center on wall?
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 3:49AM
Connie
I would put the photos on the wall above the sofa - that way its more of a focal point, and you can admire them when on the couch. Also, it leaves plenty of space to continue adding as you go. I would then put a bookshelf )ikea expedit) to store the toys now (and accessories/books later) or console table with lamp/mirror etc.
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 4:19AM
Rina
Hi Jill. I don't know if my measuring head is working properly, but it seems to me that 2x40" square would cover the sort of space I've drawn below? A bit less, maybe, but they would take up the space above the sofa beautifully. And talk about wow factor -- that would look stunning. (I haven't exactly drawn them -- but I got as close as I could.)
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 5:05AM
Cher
Mark- When you say to cover a canvas with fabric. What kind of canvas? Like the canvas you paint on? I like that idea for my living-room wall!!
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 5:58AM
Help with wall space between two art pieces on a large wall
I really have a design dilemma that I am struggling...
Need help - large blank wall
My fiance and I just bought a house and need help with...
Need help with large wall in den
i have no idea what I want to do with this large wall....
Bohemian Blues
Having such a hard time finishing up my bedroom! #1...
Need paint color help
I have purchased an apartment in Greenwich Village...
Wall mounted tv
I just mounted the 42' tv in our living room but it...
paint colors
Is it ok to have light colors on my walls for entryway,...
Need help for a room divider.. :(
Hello I would like to put a room divider between my...