Need ideas to improve front entrance!
wjdunbar
I'm having a new home built and the foundation is in. I was told my front entrance would look similar to the one in the pic. Builder is willing to work with me to improve the look & design. I'm looking for ideas to make the entrance design more prettier (catch people's eyes), without a change to th foundation/footer, and not cost alot of money. Any ideas? In the pic, the door is 2 1/2 feet inside the arch. Thank you!
claudiann
Do you have access to the window at the top of the entry? A Juliette balcony would be pretty outside of it. Then you could put pretty potted flowers on it. I would be looking for a couple of beautiful planters for either side of the door. Beautiful home.
November 11, 2013 at 2:06pm     
kdemjr
Put a light post on each column, like the picture I attached below. (But prettier and smaller ones)
November 11, 2013 at 2:10pm   
barbiewc
Love the idea of the balcony if possible. The pillar lights are also a good suggestion but make sure the scale is right. Most people buy lights that are way too small for the home. If you drive around the area neighborhoods and take notice of the exterior lighting you'll find little thought seems to go into lighting choices. I'd like to see the sidelights painted the same as the home's trim and the front door something that will pop. Nothing light but a deep, rich shade. Planters will tie it all together.
November 11, 2013 at 2:18pm   
gypsyrose17
Perhaps some larger brick work on the entry like in the photo provided by kdemjr
November 11, 2013 at 2:21pm   
vanessrose
wrought iron fancy door
November 11, 2013 at 4:23pm   
bungalowmo
If YOU are having the home built...why are THEY telling you what your entrance will look like?? It's your money...you tell them what you want.

To me...nothing says "Welcome" like a covered porch. Otherwise, guests could be standing on a stoop in the rain one day. jmo
November 11, 2013 at 4:28pm   
Period Millworks The Woodwright Shop
I would do a double set of doors instead of a single with side lights, and I would make them 8' tall!
This style would look great.
November 11, 2013 at 8:13pm     
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I agree with Period Millworks........Double doors and 8' tall. The proportions at the entry are not right. With an 8' high door, the window above will have to change. I would make it shorter and narrower.

Having a good sketch done by an architect / artist is important.

I am attaching a project that we did a few years ago. I know it's not the same, but it gives you an example of how the drawing helped everyone see the finished project........
November 12, 2013 at 12:49am     
Sustainable Dwellings
I guess I don't understand why you didn't choose the design and entry style you wanted on your house?? Is it in a development where all the houses are similar?
November 12, 2013 at 1:13am     
Sigrid
I agree that the door is a little dwarfed. I'd be tempted to put trellises on either side of the door and put a climbers. You want an elegant, wrought iron trellis, not a cheap one.
November 12, 2013 at 1:58am   
robh572
Balcony above door and big solid double doors with wrought iron hinges and handles. Perfect...
November 12, 2013 at 3:10am   
rinqreation
Balcony and more glass in the (higher) entry door and sidelights (or double doors). The picture reminds me of old school buildings.
November 12, 2013 at 3:14am   
vanessrose
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc. can you help me with my windows? please.
November 12, 2013 at 5:18am     
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
vanessrose......tell us about your windows..........
November 12, 2013 at 5:33am   
vanessrose
I am going for a French look but think I lost it along the way adding 4 picture windows to our home. I can change. I guess my question is should I do casement windows on the bottom?
November 12, 2013 at 5:39am   
soberg
Another opportunity I see is the windows...they are so very plain, with just a thin line of matching bricks and hardly any definition at all. The lack of detail is what is giving the look of a school or other institution. I would suggest more trim on the windows, such as stone, coordinated with stone trim on entry portal. This is not an easy slap-on fix: you'll need an architect to design the embellishments we're talking about.
November 12, 2013 at 5:47am   
wjdunbar
thank you all for the comments. No I do not have access to th window so a balcony would nt work. :-)
November 12, 2013 at 6:07am   
Ruebl Builders LLC
The double doors will make it look more inviting but the landscaping probably will help so get a good landscape architect to help with your issues.
November 12, 2013 at 6:10am   
wjdunbar
in regard to comments by bungalomo, we agreed to the entry on the blueprint. When we saw a house with a similar design of what ours will look like, we told the builder we're thinking of doing something with the entry / arch design. The lot was then outlined and dug up before we were informed. We reminded the builder of our desire to change the entry. Then the footer ad foundation was set. Now we're told that it will cost alot more if we want to do an extended arch (5 feet away from house) since they will have to break a part of the new concrete/ foundation to support this extended arch. So that's what we're struggling with...improving the entry / arch without spending alot more money. Thank you for your comments.
November 12, 2013 at 6:16am   
Under the second story window, add a wrought iron “balcony”, and kdemjr’s lights. Another thought is not to use the same red brick inside the arch…go with a lighter stone and then use that lighter color for your window trim.
Historic Transformation

Or use the color of the wrought iron for your trim.
Photos - Balconies & Railings
November 12, 2013 at 6:33am   
wjdunbar
Thank you. I like that idea. Using a lighter color brick or even lighter color stones.
November 12, 2013 at 6:39am   
Medinger Design Studio
By reducing the brick a little it will provide more interest. Between the top of the door and the bottom of the window you could remove the brick. If could add a wood type element across the space to replicate beams or structure. This would tie the upper window and door together to make it look like a more grand entry element.

On the vertical piers you may also investigate removing some brick. You could enhance these piers by adding different colored stone elements into the centers. Maybe even a recessed niche on each one that can house a planter or flower pots. A nice sconce would look nice too as mentioned above. The sconce could be set onto a larger piece of stonework that accents the brick around it.
November 12, 2013 at 11:01am   
DMH DESIGN
Here is a brick stone combo idea. As LDA suggests, correct the door window proportions. Happy Houzzing.
November 12, 2013 at 11:18am   
ncdiy
You definitely need to get some beautiful lights for either side of the door. I used Lantern & Scroll (find them on here or Facebook) and they were so great to work with. Their prices are awesome! I just emailed them a pic of my house, and they did the rest. Good Luck! I like this one for the door.
November 14, 2013 at 6:35pm   
Need ideas to improve the front of our house
Any ideas to make the front of our house look better...
Need ideas with Front Exterior Entrance.
Just bought this house, great neighborhood/location....
Need ideas for small open area above front door entrance
We have a small open area above our front door entrance...
Need help with front entrance ideas
Hi, I live in a town house, and as you can see, it...
Niches in foyer.
Recently moved in and can't figure out what to do with...
Best Dishwasher Detergent?
Some of this probably hinges on the style and effectiveness...
Lighting in kitchen
What is your opinion of using a wall sconce as lighting...
Sneaking storage into tiny (really tiny!) ensuite bath
We are minimalists, but I can't even see where we can...